Sixers announce new uniform for 2015-16

BBTV

I realize it was the 1970s, and design standards for uniforms were nowhere near what they are now, but who in God's name let that "e" happen?

Now that you mentioned it, that whole wordmark is just awful. They can leave that in the '70s.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For a team that's had the success and history the Sixers have had, it's kind of weird they don't have a go-to signature look to speak of. Their current logo is pretty distinctive, but now that they've gone back to it only to ditch it again, it's lost its luster. There's the 70s stuff, the early 90s garbage, and the of-the-moment late 90s-2000s look and some other stuff in between.

When you think "Lakers," you think purple and gold. Knicks, blue and orange. Spurs, black and silver. But Sixers? It's Dr. J, Moses Malone, and Allen Iverson, but not really a distinctive identify.

It was smart to go back to the classic logo and hopefully they keep it. But hopefully they come up with a uniform that lasts for more than five years.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

For a team that's had the success and history the Sixers have had, it's kind of weird they don't have a go-to signature look to speak of. Their current logo is pretty distinctive, but now that they've gone back to it only to ditch it again, it's lost its luster. There's the 70s stuff, the early 90s garbage, and the of-the-moment late 90s-2000s look and some other stuff in between.

80shome.jpg2073772_display_image.jpg

This is what feels like the go-to Sixers look, but probably just because it's so free of gimmicks.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I know there is a glut of R/W/B teams around, but this scheme is very appropriate for a team with a patriotic-inspired nickname. The Sixers and Royals owned this set.

I think they were on the right track with the current "throwback-inspired" redesign, but it wasn't quite there. It was a little too plain. Add some stars, reference the late 70s-era branding, and that would be much better.

Sadly, too many other teams jumped on the R/W/B bandwagon, and it makes some people clamor for the black/red/white/blue mishmash era. But there is room for a few distinct teams with this look. I don't know anyone that confused the Bullets or Pistons with the Sixers. But throw in the Hawks, Clippers, and Pelicans, and you do have a flood of R/W/B. Make these three change. Plenty of color schemes form which to work.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

80shome.jpg2073772_display_image.jpgThis is what feels like the go-to Sixers look, but probably just because it's so free of gimmicks.

Those unis i like

imagejpg1_zps8f2757c8.jpg

This is what feels like the go-to Sixers look, but probably just because it's so free of gimmicks.

This is the set I most associate with Philly, if only because of the big rivalry with the Celtics. Either use this set, or the one just before, with the rounded number font and myriad stars.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I became an NBA fan during the Allan Houston Knick years, so this my go-to 76ers reference point:

Allen%25252BIverson%25252B76ers.jpg

I think of the Dr. J Sixers like I do the Korean War -- it definitely happened, but it has no currency in my life.

I could go for something like this, FWIW. I like the Bauhaus look of it. The Sixers could own modern/60s flat design (especially since the Blazers have long since abandoned it).

wiltchamberlain8x10-un-1.jpg

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

This is the set I most associate with Philly, if only because of the big rivalry with the Celtics. Either use this set, or the one just before, with the rounded number font and myriad stars.

I'd say go with a look close to this one, and then throw in a blue "PHILA" alternate. Maybe even add some side panels with stars.

This would be my set of choice.

I am really surprised they are changing. It seems like yesterday they dumped the black/gold uniforms.

Given that their current look is not too far from these (in general), I'd say they are probably going to go back to one of the very 70s - looking 70s uniforms (like the Flyers!) Maybe something like the blue star-trimmed Dr. J-era. Or else "Phila".

I'd really like the Sixers to stay basic; not too far from the above. I'd also hope for no black, no gray, no metallic colors, no "Phila", and no bouncing back to being too modern.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I became an NBA fan during the Allan Houston Knick years, so this my go-to 76ers reference point:

Allen%25252BIverson%25252B76ers.jpg

I think of the Dr. J Sixers like I do the Korean War -- it definitely happened, but it has no currency in my life.

I could go for something like this, FWIW. I like the Bauhaus look of it. The Sixers could own modern/60s flat design (especially since the Blazers have long since abandoned it).

wiltchamberlain8x10-un-1.jpg

I also started to seriously follow the NBA around the turn of the century, though I would never call that "the Allan Houston Knick years"--more like the Shaq & Kobe years; in fact, one of my earliest NBA memories is watching the Lakers vs. the 76ers in the Finals, apart from some earlier memories of watching random games on the old TV in my grandparents' yacht, including one with Dennis Rodman, whose crazy-colored hair sure stood out to my childhood self.

And so, like you, I really want the 76ers to return to black white and red (and gold and blue? gotta figure those out):

5_1385442745_833f9f8e98d846e007b62c02d0a

I'm sure Adidas would love to do the vertically-stacked jersey design that you posted, since they had a template like that for soccer in the 90s, and it would be a style the Sixers could own. Unfortunately, I'm sure they'll be sticking with red white and blue and the Raptors will instead try to own the AI-Sixers color scheme.

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

That's the thing -- I don't necessarily want the Sixers to return to black and gold; I was just noting that's the uniform that comes to mind when I think Philadelphia 76ers. A red/white/blue/gold uniform could be interesting though.

I grew up a Knicks fan -- that's the only reason I referenced Allan Houston. Although, that does evoke a certain era, right? And yeah, absolutely the turn of the century/post-MJ NBA was all Shaq and Kobe with Spurs titles sprinkled throughout.

This conversation does make me miss dominant Allen Iverson. Also, I think Russell Westbrook came of age in the wrong era. He could have been a lot of fun punching fools in the face in the late 80s.

I love these rare uniforms

LJacksonphl2.jpg

I think you just love posting rare uniforms.

Those are atrocious. Stacked wording almost never looks good, and it would be jarring to see "Seventy" spelled out, after decades of just seeing "Sixers". I don't mind the cursive "Sixers" script, though it would need to go through a significant clean up before it's ready for modern use.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Isn't the Sixers are team which has the most uniforms changing in the league?

It seems that way, but not really.

Since '96 or '97, they've really only had 2 uniforms, though each went through some modifications while in use.

The Iverson uniforms started with gold wordmarks at home and then switched to black, and then underwent some trim changes during the last few years of its use.

The current uniforms also went through some trim changes (I think the collar changed once or twice), but for the most part, they've only changed once since the mid-late '90s.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Quoted from somebody (but I messed up the editing when I tried to delete unnecessary pictures):

So they start with the third set, add the star side panels from the second and use the first's color scheme (i.e. blue before red). Maybe even a PHILA?

The 78 uniforms I hope is what it most resembles

81985570_8.jpg

This basically matches the description above (except for the number font). I think that could look pretty good.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Meh. How many different ways can you really do R/W/B?

The 76ers are a great example of how to do it in many many ways.

The 78 uniforms I hope is what it most resembles

81985570_8.jpg

This seems like the combo of the 3 unis originally posted that I pictured, give or take a PHILA.

EDIT: Ha. Yeah, what leopard88 said. That was me.

EDIT: Ha. Yeah, what leopard88 said. That was me.

All due credit to you. I apologize for the overdeletion.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived