The Emerald Specter Premier League (Halo and Real Olympia)

EmeraldSpecter

I've been working on some logos for a league I was going to simulate for my website... and since I have been emboldened to do this because of the "History of the Fictional Football League" of the AFA thread, I figured I'd just go for it.

A little background...

My league is not a study in design/look and is also not for much more than just entertaining folks... and me... mainly me... anyway, for the rest of the background. I'm a big soccer fan, since I was introduced to Manchester United in 1992 and Celtic in 1993, I've been doing lots of working on ways to simulate my own league. I've come up with some ideas, ran a simulation for a couple of years, and have decided to go more with what Veras has going on than what I did... mine was way more labor intensive. So, I'm launching the Emerald Specter Premier League with 8 teams...

These 8 teams are all going to be in an amorphous location and be based on things that are, well, "me." The teams are (reasons for existence in parentheses):
1. Allen FC (my last name is Allen, thus the obvious choice)
2. Black Cats (because I only own black animals and cats are the most of those, so here we go)
3. Emerald United (in my simulated league there were many "Emerald" teams, they are now one... and I'm a Man U fan)
4. Gothica (the only other remnant from my simulations, the most successful club in the league)
5. Knightsquare (I'm a chess fan as well, I even follow the pros)
6. Naval Seabees (I was attached to the Seabees in the US Navy)
7. Shamrock (I'm Irish and I like Celtic)
8. Wordsmiths (I'm a writer and I'd like to write something awesome... this league is going to be a good start)

And I've come up with my preliminary logos... I've decided not to spend oodles of time pouring over these but I may do some altering... unless someone else wants to tackle them, work has me pretty busy.

Anyway... let's get to the logos (in order of above, which is alphabetical):

AllenFC_1.pngBlackCats_1.pngGothica_1.pngEmeraldUtd_1.pngKnightsquare_1.pngNavalSeabees_1.pngShamrock_1.pngWordsmiths_1.png

C&C welcome... I will be working on kit designs as time wears on, I just found the template I wanted to use... the "story of the league" will be sent out on my own site, EmeraldSpecter.com, with some of the earlier stuff (or summaries) planned to be posted here for those interested...

And go. :)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest darkpiranha

Great stuff so far. I'm assuming the purple and ravens is meant to be Gothica, and not Emerald United, as the order of the list would indicate.

In any event, I love every one of the names. As someone who's spent way too much time in league simulators over the years, I can really sense the HISTORY of each team, just from the names. The logos...while interesting and serviceable, I'd love to see some people here take a crack at some of them.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this.

I am starting present day, running it present day. Part of my simulator (once I dig up where the Excel file is at on my external HDD... hope it's in Portland because it certainly isn't with me right now) contains an actual schedule, so I can simulate game by game.

I noticed my uploads did not go up in alphabetical order, too... I caught the other two flubs, and yes, that would be Gothica. Emerald United is the sword and shields. The sim league these teams came from ended up growing to over 50 clubs and these were the winningest two... There were others I wanted to port over but the names are lodged with more explanation needed, so I decided to wait. Expansion is a given, as I'd like to get big enough to at least include a "premier league" and "championship" to be relegated to...

I'm hoping I can get to the first kit this weekend... I want to try non-conventional ideas, or at least ones I find a little more progressive. Gradients, graphics, and other little tests... if it's horrid, I'll scrap it... but I want to play around a bit.

I know you said you didn't spend a lot of time on these logos, but they all seem to be images cut and pasted from a Google Images search. I would rather see you re-draw them putting your own ideas together with the team name incorporated in each. The simulation doesn't interest me as much. I'm here for the Logo Concepts.

They are, technically, cut and pasted from some stuff I found. When I was set to move my ability to draw digitally was greatly reduced (sale of my Magic Mouse with my iMac in favor of a laptop, for example)... I also don't have great personal ideas for these logos... I know what traditional stuff looks like but I want something less "traditional" and more "let's try something new." They look original enough, IMO, for a first outing. I'm hoping for more time in the near future to attempt to update them from this base...

• 3 weeks later...

Alright... I've decided to use the logos above as the BASELINE, not the final product.

Here's the logo for Allen FC...

AllenFC_2015.png

This was inspired by something I found online and I wanted to go with something "more modern looking" than what I had before.

C&C... and I'll try mocking up some kits soon, too. Depends on the weather here tomorrow.

Also... I'm contemplating adding 4 more teams for the initial launch... or 2... I'd like to know what others would think of that.

I've made 4 attempts at uniforms and I need a template that doesn't suck. I like the ones on several of the concept threads... I'll just head towards making the next logo, since that isn't consuming so much of my time I can't get anything else done...

Next: Black Cats FC becomes Sporting Black Cats. :)

• 2 weeks later...

SportingBlackCats2015.png

This is the new Sporting Black Cats. This didn't get posted as quickly as I was hoping because I have had a hard time getting time off of work.

I wanted to use stripes instead of the letters but I actually think the letters worked out better than I'd imagined them. This is a much better logo, in my opinion, than the mishmash craptacular that I made before... I'm glad I'm redoing these.

I've also decided to expand to a full on 12 team starting point, so I'll be announcing the new teams. I can tell you that one of them will be in honor of the recently fallen Leonard Nimoy (and my love of Trek)... that would be Vulcan FC (yeah, simple).

I'm also adding Shazam CM (for Captain Marvel, my favorite superhero). I thought adding FC to that would be too much.
I'm adding Halo, identifying with my favorite musician Nine Inch Nails/Trent Reznor.

The last new one I'm adding is Real Olympia, for "royal" (i.e. the Real) and Olympia (the bodybuilding competition). I do a bit of personal building (early stages) and I'm wanting to include that in the initial ESPL.

Changes other than the one I just made is Naval Seabees becoming Naval Armada, Wordsmiths gaining the "SC" for Soccer Club, and Shamrock gaining the sub of Celtic (Shamrock Celtic, as I am Irish and I am also somewhat of a Celtic follower).

I'll be adding logos as I get a chance, I'm sketching out ideas for what I'm interested in before making them, so any C&C is still welcome.

If you are looking for team names - there used to be a team in the Vancouver Rugby Union called Scribes. They were so-named because they were sponsored by local newspaper writers in the Vancouver area. I like what you're doing here. It is similar to something I have in the early stages, but I'm not very talented when it comes to logos, and I really don't have the time to devote to learning photoshop, etc. Perhaps there could be another forum developed on this site for those of us more interested in the simulation than the logos. Not that I'm averse to logos, in fact I love them, I just don't see my self developing to the point were it would be worth putting my stuff on this forum. Sorry for the rant.

Once I get the logos done, I plan on starting on the "drafting of talent" and getting the league itself going... anyone that wants in on that part of the formula is more than welcome to join in.

The "Wordsmiths" was chosen because that is what my writing group was called. I don't mind Scribes, but I think I'd like to stick with Wordsmiths on that one.

You interested in "owning or GMing" a team?

Guest darkpiranha

What does it look like with making the sword a bit bigger, enough so that the hilt extends above the emerald. Kind of almost like the sword in the stone.

I will start with the sword suggestion. You wouldn't have known this because I didn't tell you but the sword sticking out (a la Sword in the Stone) was an early idea... until I thought it looked like a popsicle.

EmeraldUnited_swordhigher.png

This is the least like a popsicle I can make the thing, and that's just moving the sword up a bit. I also moved the FC up, too, in this one because of the next posting of this picture, just moving the FC up:

EmeraldUnited_FChigher.png

I was so focused on the edges for the emerald cut part that I didn't even notice the FC was too low.

Thoughts?

Archived