The Emerald Specter Premier League (Halo and Real Olympia)

EmeraldSpecter

Okay... now comes the one that keeps vexing me. I want this one to rock all kinds of awesome but I can't seem to figure out how to do that with Gothica... I just don't know that I can see past some things. If we start at the beginning, let's look at the original one I posted:

Gothica_1.png

I actually like this one... I know it's basically clipart, but it's pretty (well, I think it is). Here's what I ended up deciding was "the next best step":

Gothica_x.png

This was a little more in-depth and I used some reference art but I still don't think this is where I want to go with the logo... so I went as "simple as possible" for the design, because I thought I might be complicating things too much. Here's the "simple" logo:

GothicaFC_2015.png

I do like the simple, I just wanted (initially) something more elaborate. Maybe simple is the way to go...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest darkpiranha

I'm fine with the first one. It's clipart, but it's clean and simple. If you want to try to customize it some more, turn the purple circle into a purple shield. Not as curvy as your third logo, but something more elongated. Then, based on that shield shape, play around with the wings. I like how scraggly those feathers are, rather than what you normally find with bird wings. It's ickier. And definitely keep the iron cross prominent like it is in your first attempt. And then depending on how much space you have on the shield after putting your raven in, you might still be able to put the Gothica wordmark in there somewhere. Even though the font is a borderline-cheesy Batman font, it still works good with this identity. And overall, I like how the raven was extending out of the shape it's flying over. And definitely no white outline.

I chose the font specifically because of the "Batman" look. It's "Detectives Inc" from FontFreak.com. I've always liked the way it looks but I rarely get to use it for anything.

Now that I've had a night to sleep on the three Gothica logos, I don't actually mind the last one. I will come up with another version, though, because Gothica is to be the "New York Yankees" or "Manchester United" of this league... the hard to reach, difficult to beat, wins a lot club... or at least that's how they were in the simulation...

Guest darkpiranha

I definitely get a ManU vibe from the first logo. Especially if you combine it with some elements of the sheild/wordmark.

Guest darkpiranha

ManU vibe as in this identity has the sort of gravitas and arrogance and history of expected succes like ManU, or the Cowboys, or the Celtics or Yankees. The America League's "The District" was another designers successful attempt at fashioning a so-successful-they're-hated sort of vibe. Gothica totally has that, both in name, and the presence of the identity.

Guest darkpiranha

That was one of my suggestions. Replace the circle with a shield shape, but the same styling and effect. If you make the shield tall enough, you can put GOTHICA inside it at the top and still have room for the raven.

Guest darkpiranha

Try making the shield solid purple, like the circle was, and have that same black raven flying into it with the large iron cross below. This shield with all the stuff in it now feels really busy and not flowing together like the first logo was.

Here's a slightly different direction... I had an epiphany and tried a little something different. I'm not sure about so much purple but I don't think it's terrible. I used cartoony wings (the Zelda wings) and just tried to "minimize the busy" for the rest of it. Gothica:

Gothica_5.png

Thoughts? Compared to the previous ones, I think I like this one the best so far...

I appreciate you trying to create something original here, but the first crest you had is by far the best so far. The bird flying in front of a purple moon looks great. I'd suggest trying to clean that up rather than trying out these other ideas.

Well... I'm staring at the final one and I think it has a nice mix. Keeps the looks from both versions (my previous one and the original) while instilling an air of menace (like the Raiders used to have). I think I should put this one to bed and move on... I started sketching up possibilities for the Naval Armada and I have gone from simply to complicated all the way back to simple... should have something tomorrow to look at.

Guest darkpiranha

I like this a lot better. The grey does give it an air of menace. One final, easy thing I'd try is have the iron cross extend/overlapi the bottom of the shield.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I was getting ready to start the digital image of my Naval Armada crest when I decide to look for other "armada" teams and find an almost exact replica of my logo for the Jacksonville Armada. Dammit. My anchor was going to be 3D but I'm scrapping the anchor in favor of my other design now. Something should appear when I have time to sit and fiddle a bit.

• 4 months later...

It's been a hell of a long time, work related reasons, but here's what I've FINALLY finished as the Naval Armada logo...

NavalArmada_2015.png

It had a hat at one point, it had a beard at one point, it had a knife at one point... but those all made the skull look ridiculous. I'm putting a fork in this one and moving on...

Archived