U. of North Dakota nickname - Have they announced one yet?

stumpygremlin

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We'll always be the Fighting Sioux.

Ah, tut tut. You don't own that intellectual property, so no, you won't.

As I was typing that, I knew you would come along and respond.

t5ty54wyetw_zpsubqd9h5t.jpg

St. Paul Pioneers(GHA) Minnesota Skeeters(CL) Minnesota Lake Monsters(UFL)

We'll always be the Fighting Sioux.

Ah, tut tut. You don't own that intellectual property, so no, you won't.

As I was typing that, I knew you would come along and respond.

Well, he's right. You can't argue with that.

Shame the university couldn't come to an agreement to license the name, but they couldn't.

How many former college teams with Native American nicknames have gone to Hawks of some sort or Eagles? Hawks seems to be the predominant go to nickname when changing from a Native American name.

Off the top of my head:

Miami University (Redskins -> Redhawks)

Eastern Michigan (Hurons -> Eagles)

Marquette (Warriors -> Golden Eagles)

Seattle (Chieftains -> Redhawks)

Louisiana-Monroe (Indians -> Warhawks)

Chowan (Braves -> Hawks)

Southeast Missouri State (Indians -> Redhawks)

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

A high school in Calgary recently changed from Redmen -> Redhawks.

The teams were named the Redmen in 1940 because it was originally an all boys school and they wore red, but they've used a Blackhawks style logo for most of the years.

My mom went to the school during the time of the native logo and she said they had permission (at the time) from the tribe local to that school to use the logo.

IbjBaeE.png

How many former college teams with Native American nicknames have gone to Hawks of some sort or Eagles? Hawks seems to be the predominant go to nickname when changing from a Native American name.

Off the top of my head:

20 years later, Marquette still baffles me...as we see very well with Golden State and others, there are PLENTY of non-Native directions you can go with warriors (warriors are part of EVERY culture).

Remember, 10 years ago they announced a renaming contest (after the initially-announced renaming of "Gold" fell flat-Golden Eagles won that) and said they wouldn't accept any nicknames that had "War" in them...so maybe it's not so much about native sensibilities, but the Jesuits' pacifism (after all, Pope Francis is a Jesuit).

bYhYmxh.png

Yes, McCarthy. I totally just went and offed myself when I couldn't access this site through RollTribe. Life without this site would not have even been possible. So I send you this from whatever dimension I'm now in. I think they call it, the Real World.

Especially how hard life has become since the ban by Ice_Cap. My town disowned me. I can't get a job anywhere. They even expelled my kids from school when they found out.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHGHGAHGHGAHGHAGHAGHAGHGHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHGHGAHGHGAHGHAGHAGHAGHGHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHGHGAHGHGAHGHAGHAGHAGHGHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHGHGAHGHGAHGHAGHAGHAGHGHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHGHGAHGHGAHGHAGHAGHAGHGHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHGHGAHGHGAHGHAGHAGHAGHGHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

This guy.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Especially how hard life has become since the ban by Ice_Cap. My town disowned me. I can't get a job anywhere. They even expelled my kids from school when they found out.

I didn't ban you. The mod team did. Meaning six other rational people agreed with my assessment that you were a jerk who needed to be kicked to the curb. I'm flattered you think so highly of me though. Also?

Off the top of my head:

Chowan (Braves -> Hawks)

I know its not a hawk but I still find this a funny switch:

Carthage (Redmen -> Red Men) Yes the NCAA approved this...

Off the top of my head:

Chowan (Braves -> Hawks)

I know its not a hawk but I still find this a funny switch:

Carthage (Redmen -> Red Men) Yes the NCAA approved this...

Where do you think I got my idea of the Washington Redskins adopting the Lombardi-era logo (minus the feathers) and changing to the "Red Skins"?

bYhYmxh.png

Our arch-rival high school was the Red Raiders and had an Indian head for a mascot. When it became unacceptable, they kept the name, but found new imagery and mascot (a bird of course). I wonder why in some of these cases (not specific tribes), they can't just change the logo/mascot and keep the name.

Archived