U. of North Dakota nickname - Have they announced one yet?

stumpygremlin

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, tajmccall said:

I disagree, I think its a pretty nice logo.

It's just not right for North Dakota.  Besides, this is a fool's errand.  The fanbase will absolutely crap on anything that isn't sioux.

I agree. It's certainly not what I expected, but my expectations were low. I figured it would be something predictable, and it certainly isn't that.

There's still a lot of questions with this. They didn't show any secondary marks. There's no clear indication of how it will be applied on a helmet - whether the entire monogram will be used or whether they'll isolate the hawk part of the logo. 

I think it works, though, as the crest of a hockey jersey, which I'm sure played a big factor into this design. 

I really like it. The Facebookers are having a fit, of course. Hyperbole everywhere "worst logo ever", "trash", etc. 

It's clean and looks great. My only complaint that it's a bit wide- not sure how that's going to translate to hockey uniforms. I'd imagine there will be secondary marks and the like. I was expecting some fierce, overdesigned hawk with muscles and teeth, so this is good.

qvAvG.jpg

To me it just doesn't strike me as being suitable as a logo for athletics. I would almost expect to see this on the side of a tractor trailer going down the highway. It's a nice logo, I just don't think it works for a university's sports programs.

gYH2mW9.png

Fighting Hawks logo takes flight

Will this replace the interlocking ND athletics logo?

The interlocking ND mark will continue through the next academic year before it is moved to the Dacotah Legacy Collection. Fans will continue to see this in some current applications until such time as updates to facilities and the like are needed.

What is included in the graphics suite?

SME has created both a Primary logo and a word mark. They have also provided a set of brand identity guidelines to help UND manage the brand and maintain appropriate and consistent use.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

1 minute ago, Survival79 said:

Fighting Hawks logo takes flight

Will this replace the interlocking ND athletics logo?

The interlocking ND mark will continue through the next academic year before it is moved to the Dacotah Legacy Collection. Fans will continue to see this in some current applications until such time as updates to facilities and the like are needed.

What is included in the graphics suite?

SME has created both a Primary logo and a word mark. They have also provided a set of brand identity guidelines to help UND manage the brand and maintain appropriate and consistent use.

I can't imagine they wouldn't have also created secondary marks. Seems short-sighted if they didn't. 

The logo presentation today included several mockups of how it could appear on jerseys. None of those, from what I saw, used a black outline with the logo. Here's a screen grab of the mock hockey jersey that was presented.  

UNDlogo-hawks.jpg

The more I ponder this, the less I'm liking it. 

On its own, it's a fine mark, way better than expected. But without any secondary applications, it's starting to feel really one-note. I don't think that logo will look very commanding on the side of a helmet. I'm rethinking my earlier statement that it would look good on a hockey jersey. It's not horrible, but it's far from iconic. 

Actually, this feels more like an ideal secondary mark -- a good shoulder logo -- to complement a stronger primary logo. 

1 minute ago, Milkman14 said:

And what are they going to do if they plan to use the entire logo on the side of their helmets?  More specifically will the hawk be facing backwards or...

You could isolate the white bird onto a green background and have some nouveau version of the Arizona Cardinals helmet. 

1 minute ago, gosioux76 said:

You could isolate the white bird onto a green background and have some nouveau version of the Arizona Cardinals helmet. 

That's honestly what I would do but the FB HC has already said that new logo will be on the sides of the helmet.  Granted I could have misunderstood him and he meant a version of the new logo would be on the sides of the helmet.

5 minutes ago, Milkman14 said:

That's honestly what I would do but the FB HC has already said that new logo will be on the sides of the helmet.  Granted I could have misunderstood him and he meant a version of the new logo would be on the sides of the helmet.

I got the sense that they were saying anything they could to send the signal that they're on board with this as a program 100 percent, and you should be, too. I don't honestly think any of them know how this logo will be applied. And all of the info coming out of SME indicates that all they did was create this and a word mark. Seems like a pretty limited branding package so far.  

2 hours ago, GeauxColonels said:

To me it just doesn't strike me as being suitable as a logo for athletics. I would almost expect to see this on the side of a tractor trailer going down the highway. It's a nice logo, I just don't think it works for a university's sports programs.

First thing I thought when seeing this is trucking company so I'm happy someone agrees.  Generic garbage like I predicted.

2 hours ago, GeauxColonels said:

That is funny that you said that. I was going to post the same exact thing. It looks like a trucking company logo or one that would be on a tractor trailer like you said. Its not a bad logo by any means but not a good athletics logo.

Archived