U. of North Dakota nickname - Have they announced one yet?

stumpygremlin

New logo is instantly despised by this community?

Shocking.

Actually what's truly shocking is that the bird doesn't seem to be suffering from a case of the angrys.  Don't they know that every new animal logo has to make the bird/whatever look as though he's taking a huge grudge-grumpy?

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually really like this logo.  

If this turns into the newest version of the Kentucky Wildcats fiasco, I will burn this mother :censored: er to the ground.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

The amount of hate I see across social media from fans is ridiculous. Do I love the logo? No. Do I hate it? No.

No matter what the logo looked like, it would have gotten no support from the "sioux forever" people. It really is time to move on and worry about more important things (like the school's budget cuts...).

I have countless Sioux sweatshirts, countless generic North Dakota sweatshirts and you bet I will have countless sweatshirts with this logo.

t5ty54wyetw_zpsubqd9h5t.jpg

St. Paul Pioneers(GHA) Minnesota Skeeters(CL) Minnesota Lake Monsters(UFL)

I really like the D part. The N part suffers from that thing that I don't have a name for where you have one element on top of another, and the bottom element is missing details because the designer thinks it would be awkward relating to the top element. Like... the N would not be a very good N at all if the hawk were removed.

I voted for "Fighting Hawks" as I felt it was the best choice of the potential nickname options before me.  I have been over the "Fighting Sioux" drama for quite some time and was open to the idea of something new.  As someone stated earlier, this was pretty predictable.  Generic, open-to-interpretation, and very vanilla.  My take:  It's AWFUL.  

Now, flame away with the "you must be a Fighing Sioux Forever" guy stuff...I'm not.  It's a school nickname.  But this logo should be on the side of a delivery van or tractor-trailer, not a football, basketball, or hockey jersey.  

bn-sioux-logo.jpg

I don't see any way those addends equal the ND logo, other than one is green and the other a sorta-bird. I think that's a real stretch - trying to hard to make it look bad. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The thing I don't like about it is that it isn't obvious that there is an N and a D under the bird's head.  The bird covers the white space in both letters and the green under the feathers goes outside the boundaries of the N.  Plus the way this is designed, it almost has to go on a white helmet.

4 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I don't see any way those addends equal the ND logo, other than one is green and the other a sorta-bird. I think that's a real stretch - trying to hard to make it look bad. 

Oh, it's not Sioux fans who pointed out the US Postal Service logo similarities...our good friends at Gopherpucklive.com were more than happy to bring it to our attention!

North Dakota's new logo reminds me somewhat of UW-La Crosse's L-eagle logo (ironically enough, coming into being for largely the same reason-before 1989, UWL's teams had been the Indians, and the logo had been a block L over a spear). 

319px-University_of_Wisconsin-La_Crosse_

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

8 hours ago, mafiaman said:

Oh, it's not Sioux fans who pointed out the US Postal Service logo similarities...our good friends at Gopherpucklive.com were more than happy to bring it to our attention!

Then they're dumb because there aren't many, if any, similarities. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

6 minutes ago, stumpygremlin said:

Like I said when I posted that, I understand that they're very different. It's just the first impression I got when I saw it.

Why are you responding to something addressed to mafiaman?

Archived