U. of North Dakota nickname - Have they announced one yet?

stumpygremlin

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they go the stars route, I'd prefer they go with just "stars" since everyone is so opposed to anything that could ever be somehow connected to Minnesota.. I think Flickertails would be a terrific, unique nickname, but if having similar (although different) animals is enough to deter them, I don't see how north stars is really a viable option.. Anything would be better than no nickname or nodaks though.. If they really want to "win", they should definitely be the "fighting sue", just so that it's verbally the same nickname, and one that no one can reprimand them for having, but of the currently available options, roughriders is the best choice

How is Nodaks really considered a viable name? Correct me if I'm wrong but that would be like Arkansas changing their name to the Arkansas Arkansans. Correct? That's just not a good name.

Illinois_il2_large.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

How is Nodaks really considered a viable name? Correct me if I'm wrong but that would be like Arkansas changing their name to the Arkansas Arkansans. Correct? That's just not a good name.

Phillies is a better example.

And you could argue that it's the same thing. But "Phillies" has 1800s charm. Establishing such a name now seems odd.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Nodak is to Canuck as North Dakotan is to Canadian

If they go the stars route, I'd prefer they go with just "stars" since everyone is so opposed to anything that could ever be somehow connected to Minnesota.. I think Flickertails would be a terrific, unique nickname, but if having similar (although different) animals is enough to deter them, I don't see how north stars is really a viable option.. Anything would be better than no nickname or nodaks though.. If they really want to "win", they should definitely be the "fighting sue", just so that it's verbally the same nickname, and one that no one can reprimand them for having, but of the currently available options, roughriders is the best choice

The Fighting Sue would be a pretty fitting name after all of this is done.

Tf9TG.jpg

But the teams that use those names aren't the Canada Canucks or the Canada Canadiens.

I could understand if it was the school name was Grand Forks Nodaks but North Dakota Nodaks just seems odd to me.

Perhaps I'm just reading too much in to it and it's a great nickname. As long as they're happy with it then that is all that matters.

So, as a Nodak, is our logo a farmer or rigger? North Dakota isn't known for anything else.

SIG1.png

SIG2.pngSIG3.png

If they go the stars route, I'd prefer they go with just "stars" since everyone is so opposed to anything that could ever be somehow connected to Minnesota.

Nevermind the Minnesota connection to North Stars, it's the redundant "North" that drives me crazy. Try these on for size:

The North Carolina North Heels

South Carolina South Gamecocks

West Virginia West Mountaineers

Northern Michigan Northern Cats

Yea, those sound dumb too. So why is the North Dakota North Stars even being considered?

But the teams that use those names aren't the Canada Canucks or the Canada Canadiens.

I could understand if it was the school name was Grand Forks Nodaks but North Dakota Nodaks just seems odd to me.

Perhaps I'm just reading too much in to it and it's a great nickname. As long as they're happy with it then that is all that matters.

you misunderstand me. I'm not speaking specifically about a team nickname I'm saying in the same way a person from Canada is a Canadian a person from North Dakota is a North Dakotan. Canucks and Nodaks are very informal ways to refer to those groups. I'm just saying your comparison isn't 100% accurate. A better one would be if Arkansas went by the nickname the Arkies or something like that. Philadelphia Phillies is the best comparison.

Razorback447 for what it's worth I agree North Dakota Nodaks doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

And how long will it take Bison football or Gopher hockey fans to come up with "Nod*cks" signs or cheers? A horrible nickname choice.

Razorback447 for what it's worth I agree North Dakota Nodaks doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

And how long will it take Bison football or Gopher hockey fans to come up with "Nod*cks" signs or cheers? A horrible nickname choice.
I know! Those evil evil Bison fans :D

Archived