"Black for Black's Sake"/"Gray for Gray's Sake" Worst Offenders

MCM0313

In your opinion, what are the worst offenders of all time in the still-ongoing "black for black's sake" trend, or the newer "gray for gray's sake" trend? Current? Past? A few that get on my nerves:

BFBS:

West Virginia men's basketball, black alternate: They wore these in the 2010 NCAA Tournament, making it all the way to the Final Four, so I'm sure many of you remember them. With dark blue being their primary color, there simply wasn't enough contrast with the numbers. I don't know whether they still have them; I read about a GFGS alternate they were getting a couple of years ago.

Temple men's basketball, late 1990s: They still have a BFBS alternate, but this one wasn't an alternate---it was their only road uniform, replacing the gorgeous and iconic cherry red they had worn for years.

Kansas City Royals road/alternate, Toronto Blue Jays entire uniform set, Cincinnati Reds road, mid 2000s: All three teams have a color as their nickname, or at least in their nickname, so why would they replace it with black? The Royals' was probably the most atrocious of the three; it was dated even before its introduction and wouldn't have looked good to my eyes even when it was in style (black-heavy late 90s). The Reds' black caps should've been killed off a lot sooner than they were---honestly, I don't see why they even need it as an accent color. I actually thought the Jays' GFGS home cap from 2004 looked decent, but overall they underutilized blue in that set. I was glad to see them go back to a more traditional design.

Golden State Warriors alternate, present: Would this be BFBS or GFGS? Either way, it's unnecessary.

Detroit Lions, former alternate: It didn't look altogether terrible, had it been for an expansion team or something. But it was for the Lions, who have a tradition-rich (and generally very tasteful) uniform history, with an excellent one-two punch of Honolulu blue and silver. They don't need black at all, much less as a jersey color.

Best BFBS:

Washington Huskies football and men's basketball alternate, late-2000s to present: Like with West Virginia's, these render the numerals hard to read; unlike West Virginia's, they look cool to me, in a modern "techy" sort of way.

Arizona Cardinals: Their BFBS jersey isn't amazing, but it looks much better than their awful red jersey. I do find it slightly annoying, though, because Cardinals aren't black, they're red. This team's whole set (minus perhaps the logo and helmet) is due for a redesign, but they should maintain a black alternate jersey when that happens.

Butler Bulldogs men's basketball: They actually look cool. I think navy blue uniforms would also look cool, though. I'd like to see them alternate between the two.

Personal pet peeve:

As briefly mentioned above, teams that have colors as (or in) their nicknames but wear another color (most commonly black, but not always) instead:

Duke Blue Devils men's basketball and (more recently) football: Luckily they use the black as an alternate rather than eliminating the blue altogether. It doesn't look awful, but their blue looks much better.

Stanford Cardinal men's basketball and football: Looks terrible, and cardinal is a color that they wear well in addition to being their nickname. You'd think people at such a prestigious school would see the incongruity here.

Harvard Crimson men's basketball: Ditto, and they actually don't wear crimson now because of it. Boo.

Niagara Purple/Purple Eagles: They sported black unis a few years back when they made the NCAAs. A real head-scratcher.

North Texas Mean Green: Same thing. They're not the "Mean Black," they're the "Mean Green."

Best and worst GFGS:

Tennessee Volunteers football alternate: Best because the gray is a unique shade, it actually looks pretty good (esp. with orange numbers), and it makes me think of Tennessee's legendary Smoky Mountains. Worst because their orange is also a unique shade and it looks great, so any chance they pass up to wear it is a mistake.

Next-worst GFGS:

Wichita State Shockers men's basketball: Because it denies them a chance to ever wear yellow, the main color of their logo.

Anyone else's thoughts are welcome!

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also: Anytime UCLA wears black or gray or Georgia wears black---I just like their primary colors too much.

When Georgia wears black it isn't BFBS. Black is one of their school colors.

Doesn't mean it looks as good as their shade of red, though. :)

Gonna get a :censored: ton of hate for saying this, but I think these uniforms were/are an awful case of BFBS:

SacramentoDunkBlackJersey.jpg

And you would deserve it. For one thing, those aren't even BFBS. Black has always been a Bulls color (at least I think has). And those were bad for a completely different reason than BFBS. The black with red pinstripes made them look brown from a distance.

Oakland Athletics' former black alt

Best color scheme in MLB and they found a way to f*** it up completely. Dark green and black looked totally awful but the fact that they used so much white with it was a real travesty. It also gets my vote.

fgvIHzvP.jpg

Totally agree. Looks turrible.

The Mets love affair with black from 1998-2011. Even though the former NY Giants (now in San Francisco) wore black as their primary color, then as now, it just seemed out of place for the Mets. For me, this isn't even close.

Yeah, those never looked quite right, either. I was glad to see the Mets return to their blue-and-orange roots...although have you read the article about how their colors were almost black and pink when they first started out? How interesting would that have been?!

Gonna get a :censored: ton of hate for saying this, but I think these uniforms were/are an awful case of BFBS:

And you would deserve it. For one thing, those aren't even BFBS. Black has always been a Bulls color (at least I think has). And those were bad for a completely different reason than BFBS. The black with red pinstripes made them look brown from a distance.

I agree that they looked brown from a distance, but I never minded them. Ditto for the Magic's black-with-pinstripes, or blue-with-pinstripes, or white-with-pinstripes. It was the mid-90s; what ya gonna do? (shrug)

MLB: The White Sox started the trend in the late 80s with their "Black Sunday" jersey. They were changing up uniforms about every 2-years anyway, but were always navy or red (or a combination of both) from at least the early 70s. Then they switched to black and gray, and have hardly touched anything since. While it was a step away from tradition, it gave both MLB teams nicknamed "Sox" entirely different color schemes.

The worst offenders since were Kansas City, Cincinnati, and the New York Mets. KC went for a drastic change and added black and silver to a simple blue and white scheme, and muddied everything up. Not a good look at all.

Considering there was a long history of black with the Mr. Red logo, adding black to Cincinnati's look was not a bad idea in theory, but I think it was Junior Griffey's influence that emphasized black over the red. If a color is light enough, adding a darker color to contrast works in most cases. To this day, the Reds are red and black.

The Mets messed this up, like most everything. Too much drop shadow, and too much use of the black jersey.

Honorable mention: A's black alternate.

NBA: Philadelphia, hands down for BFBS. I was never a fan of the black jerseys.

Also: Boston. The green alternate, while not a bad jersey, is obviously BFBS. At least it's just trim and embellishment, not the jersey itself. Unlike the GFGS sleeved alt. Gray. Yuck. The only other color that should be in the Celtics' scheme is gold, whether Vegas-style (like the St. Patrick's Day alternate) or yellowish (like the old Celtics warmups of the Bird era).

NHL: The LA Kings may have started the entire BFBS trend with the switch in 1988 from purple and gold to the Gretzky era uniforms and Chevy-logo influence.

Aside from the Kings, the only other team to emphasize black when it wasn't in the color scheme was the New York Islanders. The black/gray alt is just a lazy half-assed way of jumping on a trend. Two trends, actually, if you include the front number.

NFL: Closest example is Detroit. But just like the reds, Honolulu blue is light enough that it contrasts well the black. Black is used enough as an accent that is keeps the look modern.

Philadelphia: even though black was put into the color scheme, the black jersey was unnecessary.

Arizona: see Philadelphia

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

It doesn't count as BFBS if black has been one of the team's two primary colors since its inception. They've been red, black and white since 1966.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

It doesn't count as BFBS if black has been one of the team's two primary colors since its inception. They've been red, black and white since 1966.

They were not BFBS but wow were they awful.

Archived