"Black for Black's Sake"/"Gray for Gray's Sake" Worst Offenders

MCM0313

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

52f198997dfba.preview-620.jpg

Brown-and-yellow is a good, unique color scheme, and gray just muddies it up...of course, cowboys work with mud, so...

On the subject of Wyoming men's hoops: How come they wear yellow so much and never (that I can tell) brown? If I were one of the few schools in the NCAAs to have brown as an official school color (Wyoming or Western M*ch*g*n, Lehigh, Valparaiso, St. Bonaventure, Bowling Green...am I forgetting anyone?), I would wear it proudly as a mark of distinction. Instead, four of the six I mentioned seem to never wear brown at all.

Brown University (big one you missed), Quincy University, Rowan University, Southwest Minnesota State, St. Lawrence, Tufts, and Nebraska Wesleyan. Those are the football playing schools that i know of that use brown as a primary color (except Tufts which is more of a trim color). I'm sure there are other Olympic Sports-only schools who may have brown as their primary color.

As for BFBS, University of Miami's basketball unis for the past few years.

Yes.

7028948.jpg

Yes.

021813+miami+hurricanes+basketball+larkicanesbb13-0202.JPG7070562.jpg

Yes.

mia-13-orangehome-3-620x929.jpgmia-13-orangehome-2-620x930.jpg

NO!

mia-07-09-away-620x413.jpg

MIAMI.jpg60016468.jpg

I don't care if the bright orange "Pops" off a black background. Not a school color. Leave the black and orange for Oklahoma State, Idaho State, etc.

As for gray, only schools that I can think of that have gray as part of their main school colors are Washington State and Dickinson State University. Loved it when the Cougs update their football unis a few years back and replaced their silver with gray as it should have been all along. Now it's just overused by schools who have no business using gray.

I actually lurrrrrrve Miami's orange hoops jerseys, so I'd make the "yes" in front of them as big as the "no" in front of the black ones. lol

Florida State and Florida have both had black jerseys on and off since the early 2000s (right when BFBS started), and UF now employs black, instead of white, as a trim color:

DBP_2255-L.jpg

florida-gators-basketball-media-day-port

Duke is a violator of this as well:

SZL2P.AuSt.156.jpeg

While I still prefer to see FSU in garnet, I have to say the feather that runs down the side of the jersey and pants there is pretty cool. I'd never noticed that on their basketball uniforms before.

EaglesBlack2.png

Eagles once combined the green jersey with black pants about a decade ago. I think it was a one game experiment.
You're probably thinking of the black jersey, green pants because we had never had black pants until this year.

Yeah I think it was against SF in 03 or 04. It was pretty bad. Green over black would look much less bad... but still bad.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The grey jersey's that Cal wore last night at home versus Oregon were HIDEOUS.

I think all of the Jordan Brand schools are required to have gray jerseys

Here is the one that UNC and Georgetown also wore in 2010

cal-jersey-307x526.jpg

I actually prefer the gray to the normal white as the blue numbers pop more

-11ed7828e339bf78.JPG

mbb_unis_v3.jpg

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

Ragland-Wichita-State-beat-No-15-Creight

I remember a couple years ago when WSU wore this uniform for every conference game, home and away. Made for some pretty awful-looking grey-vs-white matchups.

Interesting... Illinois State brought gray jerseys for their game at Drake last year, and I don't know who made the choice, but Drake ended up wearing their road blues instead of the home whites.

1390103466012-dmrdc5-6dmyhr5m22o1n6dci4d

UMass basketball has been wearing their black, sleeved uniforms every game in the month of February for black history month. Good cause I guess, but man, all month? Those uniforms are just too :censored: ing ugly, man.

It seems like they've worn these uniforms as much or more than their regular ones now.

15909836204_10be78223f_z-e1424229577460.

Archived