Fictional History of SFL (AFA Universe) 1975: The SFL will return in November 2016

FFWally

SFL-Banner_zps57nnfj0l.png

PRESS RELEASE

Lund, Sweden - From the office of SFAF Commissioner Anders Ekdahl

When SAAB AB pulled support of the Lund Gripen, we gathered our league owners together and looked for a solution to the Linköping issue. There were no rules in place to keep owners from simply uprooting teams and moving to greener pastures. That is in the process of changing now, and every league owner has signed off on the initiative, though it can not be signed into rule until the April League meeting.

The new rule will stabilize SFL cities, and leave room for owners to move only if and when a specific set of circumstances have taken place.

• Ownership Change - when no local owner or owners group is found capable of maintaining the franchise in its current city
  • Current Ownership is unable to upgrade facilities, or loses its lease and can not find appropriate facilities in the current metro area
  • The team is in default to the league, at which time the league takes possession and after a league wide vote decides a new location is the best option
  • Current Owner may move the team to a new location if 3/4ths of league owners vote to allow a move.

This will be known as the Linköping Rule

Lund - Ligan Två

When SAAB AB relocated the SFL team to Linköping, the league made a concerted effort to make sure that Lund did not lose American Football, and that whatever ownership took over the team would commit to keeping the team in Lund. The 1969 season was played under league ownership, but that is not the function of the league, and an ownership search was begun within weeks of the Linköping announcement.

After a six month search, an owner was found with deep ties to both Lund and American Football.

Samual Ward, a minority owner of the Chicago Butchers of the AFA, and an undersized college star in the 1940's had married Lund socialite Emma Johansson, while she was attending the University of Chicago in the 1950's. Johansson married him on the condition that once he was financially secure, he would take her home to Sweden to raise their children.

Ward, a shrewd businessman moved his incredibly successful Advertising firm from Michigan Ave, to suburban Oak Park in the mid '60's and was responsible for several AFA logo upgrades, as well as a recent AFA marketing campaign. Additionally he has been a minority owner in Chicago for nearly a decade and a board member for the past 5 seasons.

With local business leaders soured on the SFAF after seeing the team leave last season, it was important to find both an owner with local ties as well as the marketing skills, football knowledge and finances capable of reviving Football in the city. Ward is exactly the owner Lund needs.

In anticipation of the announcement, Ward and his family have already relocated to Lund, and his two sons are both going to play in the new Griffin Football Academy, and attend gymnasium in Lund.

A new name and look for the Gripen

Lund-Griffins-70s_by_rezland-Recovered-R

LUND GRIFFEN

The first piece of business for Ward was removing the SAAB logo from the team helmets and changing the name to a more anglo friendly "Griffen". His designers came up with a Blue and Gold color scheme, with white and black as supporting colors.

Ward met with reporters on January 4th to introduce himself to the media, and was asked if he felt Lund could rebound and rejoin the SFL, after having their franchise stolen less than a year before. Ward had this to say, "I did not buy a minor league franchise, I purchased a team that will have everything a SFL team does, including facilities, budget, personnel, and most importantly a SFL city. One of the agreements with the SFAF was that all Gripen records do not go to Linköping, and will be part of the Griffen heritage." "We will promote to the SFL, and we will be ready to compete at the top level when we do."

We are tremendously excited about the development of Football in Scandinavia, and believe bringing Mr Ward into our family is a positive for both Lund and American Football in Sweden.

- Anders Ekdahl

Commissioner

SFL/SFAF

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SFL-Banner_zpssmkbjapd.png

1 Feb 1970

Stockholm, Sweden

Office of the Commissioner

It is with great pleasure I get to announce that new Lund (L2) owner Samuel Ward offered to modernize the look of the leagues top 3 divisions, and to standardize the looks and colors. In honor of the SFL beginning in Sweden, the official league colors will be Reflex Blue, Athletic Gold and White.

The Three Divisions will be SFL Ligan Två and Ligan Tre identified by the icons below

SFL-Logos-Banner_zpseb1f4dit.png

Scandinavian Football League Ligan Två Ligan Tre

Each Division of the SFAF will also have a Football Icon beginning with the SFL Logo

SFL-Logo_zpsg7l2dd4j.png

SFL-Logos2_zpsu8f1fpuu.png

Please discontinue use of the original SFAF logo in all print media.

- Anders Ekdahl

Commissioner

SFL/SFAF

So due to the recent defection of two prominent players to the AFA, the players have formed the Assoc of American Football Professionals. (AAFP)

Since the league is based in Sweden, made it clear that this would go to the Swedish Union Authorities, if not met with a positive response.

Here are the grievances:

• So due to the recent defection of two prominent players to the AFA. The players have formed the Assoc of American Football Professionals. (AAFP) and as the league is based in Sweden, filed with the league to negotiate for a players contract.

Here are the grievances:

• Right to Arbitration between Union and League over Arbitration
  • League Minimum Pay
  • Compensation for use of player images
  • Compensation for change in working conditions
  • Standardize playoff pay for players (set amount, versus percentage of gate)
  • Odin Cup bonuses
  • Revenue Sharing

Trolls-New-Orange_zpsrq6qccyl.png

Goteburg - New GM Axel Wahlström broke the silence and explained the reasoning behind the new Orange for Göteburg.

Wahlström, "for the past 5 seasons the Trolls have been "lagom", it is time the Trolls become champions, and with this bolder, more aggressive orange, we feel like this new look along with our new uniforms, the team will feel more like winners in the very competitive Western Division"

Is it just me or is gottenburgs change just like the Browns exept without a terrible new alternate logo

.....yes

Also I got a good kick out of this GREAT UPDATE TROLLS I think the orange really speaks to the aggressive nature of this team

Yes, it was a bit of a elbow to the Browns... came close to doing a Troll pound logo too, but resisted. I was already reworking Unis to make them a little stronger. So I went ahead and did a bolder Orange.

And with the new Helmet comes a modernized Uniform and Wordmark

SFL-Goteburg-Trolls-1970_zpsmcbzrfys.png

Gone are the 5 stripe sleeves and sox, as well as the white away pants, and in with a bolder 3 stripe sock and sleeve design.

Very sharp.

Looks like something the Bengals could've worn around the same time period, and that's a good thing.

I just felt like the pants were a weak link, and with the bolder stripes, colored pants (just couldn't go mono) were a better fit.

So far so good.

Can we expect this league to focus on Scandinavia, or expand to other parts of Europe in the future?

The founder of the league is a history fanatic, and as a Swede, it very conscious of the Viking influence around Northern Europe.

I would Expect London to join the league in the near future, as well as Ireland, Scotland, Nederlands, Belgium France and Germany... Poland and Russia after the fall of the wall in 1990 as both countries have Viking histories.

So far so good.

Can we expect this league to focus on Scandinavia, or expand to other parts of Europe in the future?

The founder of the league is a history fanatic, and as a Swede, it very conscious of the Viking influence around Northern Europe.

I would Expect London to join the league in the near future, as well as Ireland, Scotland, Nederlands, Belgium France and Germany... Poland and Russia after the fall of the wall in 1990 as both countries have Viking histories.

Very nice to hear.

Should we expect London to enter the league by 1975? Sooner? Later?

Name ideas for future expansion:

- London: Monarchs, Kings, Bulldogs, Knights

- Amsterdam: Admirals, Mariners, Crusaders

- Paris: Saints, Musketeers, Guardians, Concordes

- Dublin: Brewers, Shamrocks

- Scotland: Claymores, Highlanders, Bravehearts, Rams

- Berlin: Bears, Bruins, Grizzlies

- Frankfurt: Galaxy, Phantoms, Jets

- Brussels: Lions, Atoms

Very nice to hear.

Should we expect London to enter the league by 1975? Sooner? Later?

Name ideas for future expansion:
- London: Monarchs, Kings, Bulldogs, Knights
- Amsterdam: Admirals, Mariners, Crusaders
- Paris: Saints, Musketeers, Guardians, Concordes
- Dublin: Brewers, Shamrocks
- Scotland: Claymores, Highlanders, Bravehearts, Rams
- Berlin: Bears, Bruins, Grizzlies
- Frankfurt: Galaxy, Phantoms, Jets
- Brussels: Lions, Atoms

London is already chosen and you got it in your list.

I haven't even started looking at the rest yet... but solid names,a nd the Berlin suggestions already game me an idea of what I can see in their future.

Up next the 1970 season!

As much as I loved NFL Europa, I'd think you'd want to be different with the names of the teams in places like Berlin, Hamburg, Amsterdam..etc. I can't wait to see where the SFAF goes with this. I am curious would we possibly see a team in Rouen?

BOS2.png.28748cfa2d8957954518a9f81f4cd4e8.pngboston_captains_jersey_sig_by_verasthebrujah-dbp5b0z.jpg

As much as I loved NFL Europa, I'd think you'd want to be different with the names of the teams in places like Berlin, Hamburg, Amsterdam..etc. I can't wait to see where the SFAF goes with this. I am curious would we possibly see a team in Rouen?

London already has a name, and its not the NFL Europa moniker.

I have tried to use monikers that reflect the cities or regions with each of the teams, and that will continue.

As for Rouen, the history alone demands a team. Rollo settled there, the Norman Empire was central there early on, and the Vikings have a very strong presence in its history, so yes, there is a better than good chance.

The league will grow to 32 teams by the early 1990's. Where and when are the question marks.

As the league is progressing now, I would guess another 5 or 6 Swedish teams, one each from Denmark and Norway, and that will leave expansion to the south east and west.

Normandy, Britain/Ireland, Northern Germany, Belgium and the Nederlands, as well as Paris.

Archived