Ocean Springs High School New Athletic Identity

hjones13

Okay, so I have been working for a while on a complete rebrand of the high school I attended, Ocean Springs High School. They are the Greyhounds, and the primary colors are Blue and Grey, with official secondary colors as White and Black. Here recently the athletic teams have been a mess as far as identity goes, so this is my stab at giving them a "brand" across all sports. I've been working on this for a while now, so please leave some C&C because it will be greatly appreciated. So here we go!

This is my "Identity Sheet" that is used across all sports. It's pretty self explanatory as far as its purpose.

• The interlocking "OS" is the currently used primary logo, and I love it so I kept it. It is actually a modern remake of an old interlocking logo that the school used back in my grandpas days there (1950's?) as well as what I grew up eagerly waiting my turn to wear and represent.
  • The paw is a logo that has always been synonymous with OSHS, but in recent years has been left out completely, so I brought it back.
  • The script fonts are also something that is very prominent in OSHS athletics that have been recently left out, so like the paw, I brought them back, and basically built the identity around them.
  • The variations of number fonts have been crazy in recent years (Miami font, drop shadow, crazy), so I brought back the classic athletic block font that I think says tradition and class.

Baseball is up next.

jajtww.jpg

Greyhound Baseball

The Field:

• Traditional High School Baseball Field with warning track all the way around. (spent many hours cutting and raking that field and warning track when I was a player.)
  • Repainted dugout tops to include the "Greyhounds" script.
  • Custom on-deck circles dawning the paw print logo.
  • Interlocking "OS" cut into the infield grass, similar to what Boston did for a while.
  • Criss-crossed line pattern in the outfield.

jajtww.jpg

Okay, so I have been working for a while on a complete rebrand of the high school I attended, Ocean Springs High School. They are the Greyhounds, and the primary colors are Blue and Grey, with official secondary colors as White and Black. Here recently the athletic teams have been a mess as far as identity goes, so this is my stab at giving them a "brand" across all sports. I've been working on this for a while now, so please leave some C&C because it will be greatly appreciated. So here we go!

Ocean%20Springs%20Visual%20Identity%20Ch

This is my "Identity Sheet" that is used across all sports. It's pretty self explanatory as far as its purpose.

• The interlocking "OS" is the currently used primary logo, and I love it so I kept it. It is actually a modern remake of an old interlocking logo that the school used back in my grandpas days there (1950's?) as well as what I grew up eagerly waiting my turn to wear and represent.
  • The paw is a logo that has always been synonymous with OSHS, but in recent years has been left out completely, so I brought it back.
  • The script fonts are also something that is very prominent in OSHS athletics that have been recently left out, so like the paw, I brought them back, and basically built the identity around them.
  • The variations of number fonts have been crazy in recent years (Miami font, drop shadow, craz, so I brought back the classic athletic block font that I think says tradition and class.

Baseball is up next.

You should probably create your own paw logo instead of using the Clemson Tigers main logo.

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

• The variations of number fonts have been crazy in recent years (Miami font, drop shadow, crazy), so I brought back the classic athletic block font that I think says tradition and class.

Baseball is up next.

You should never use the Clemson Tigers paw logo because this would be a clear violation of copyright law.

Would it still be if I turned it back so they it wasn't leaning? I feel like thats a pretty basic paw print clip art design that is all over, Clemson's is just more rugged around the edges and cocked to the side. I may be wrong though, I just feel like I've seen it everywhere and used by many different places.

This is the paw I used, I just added an outline and turned it sideways.

piq8qqa7T_zpsgdqdrqxj.jpg

jajtww.jpg

Baseball is up next.

You should never use the Clemson Tigers paw logo because this would be a clear violation of copyright law.

Would it still be if I turned it back so they it wasn't leaning? I feel like thats a pretty basic paw print clip art design that is all over, Clemson's is just more rugged around the edges and cocked to the side. I may be wrong though, I just feel like I've seen it everywhere and used by many different places.

For whatever reason I thought you were seriously rebranding your former school's identity and getting paid for. I already edited my previous comment.

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

The problem with the paw print (besides being very generic) is that it is a cat paw. They have retractable claws, so they aren't in the print. A dog doesn't have retractable claws, so they should be included in the paw print. (It also seems wider than a dog paw print...but I'm just going off of memory. I think cat's paws are shorter and wider than a dog's print, but maybe it is the claws that make the dog's print seem longer and more narrow.)

award%20sig.png

Baseball is up next.

For whatever reason I thought you were seriously rebranding your former school's identity and getting paid for. I already edited my previous comment.

Oh haha, no. Just for fun. But I'm gonna change the paw anyways.

jajtww.jpg

I graduated from Pascagoula.

Always liked the interlocking 'OS' logo (it's head and shoulders above the goofy San Diego Padres 'P' logo Pascagoula now uses) and the updated paw is much better. And I'm a sucker for traditional so the uniforms sit well with me.

Thanks for all of the feedback, especially the paw. Now that I look at it, I like the new one better anyways. Plus making it accurate to a greyhound paw will only add to the concept. I think I'm going to go ahead and add football so yall can start to see how the "brand" transcends into the different sports.

Greyhound Football

The Field: Hugh Pepper Field at Greyhound Stadium

• Turf surface, colored similar to Oregon's.
  • Hugh Pepper was a prominent coach in OSHS history, and the field is currently named after him today.
  • Same script font used in word mark designs, as well as the athletic font from the uniforms being used as yard markers.

jajtww.jpg

The Uniforms:

Home Blue Jerseys.

Away White Jerseys.

Alternate Black Jerseys.

Alternate Grey Jerseys.

• The helmet is metallic silver, as well as the silver on the jerseys. (Same for the baseball uniforms, I forgot to mention it.)
  • Paw print pride/award stickers (they should be the updated paw print, I couldn't change them so just imagine) similar to how Ohio State does their Buckeye stickers.
  • Interlocking "OS" on both sides of the helmet.
  • I know everyone is iffy on script being used on the uniforms, but I think it turned out well. OS will use the script on uniforms similar to how Ole Miss does.

jajtww.jpg

Really nice concepts. The baseball uniforms, and even the football jerseys somewhat, look like Vanderbilt's, which I like. The only critique I have would be to change the football helmet and pant striping to match the OS logo (w/b/w).

Vanderbilt is actually who the idea came from. I saw them and said that is a good looking uniform (baseball), maybe I can build a whole identity around it.

jajtww.jpg

Really nice concepts. The baseball uniforms, and even the football jerseys somewhat, look like Vanderbilt's, which I like. The only critique I have would be to change the football helmet and pant striping to match the OS logo (w/b/w).

Vanderbilt is actually who the idea came from. I saw them and said that is a good looking uniform (baseball), maybe I can build a whole identity around it.

Are you intending for the baseball tops to be pullovers? It would help the cursive hold together.

Archived