Confirmation on MLS third kit rumor

jaker52

I have seen this pop up in discussions everywhere that the MLS was ditching third kits but no confirmation. An LA Galaxy website article stated that there will be ZERO third kits in MLS from here on. It also gives a sneak peak of the new secondary shirt.

http://www.lagalaxy.com/blog/beat/2015/02/23/sneak-peak-new-la-galaxy-secondary-jersey-revealed

jaker52sig.png

signatureofteams.jpg

MUNCHEN LOWEN (WAFA) GULF SHORES OSPREYS (IBL)

it's fairly vague but I read that as the Galaxy won't have 3rd kits in 2015.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Without getting into the cost effectiveness of producing/selling 3rds, I fail to believe that the league/club owners wouldn't want another item to sell to fans...maybe limiting the frequency of new ones.

All of the "Big 4" have teams that wear 3rd (even 4th) jerseys and make them available for purchase.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

since kits is plural and you can only have one third per team, I believe it means across the board.

Without getting into the cost effectiveness of producing/selling 3rds, I fail to believe that the league/club owners wouldn't want another item to sell to fans...maybe limiting the frequency of new ones.

All of the "Big 4" have teams that wear 3rd (even 4th) jerseys and make them available for purchase.

I don't get what the point is either, I enjoy thirds and I dislike the carrying over concept anyways. I'll miss the new kits and new ideas annually. From Don Garber's words, it seems they will still do new kits yearly.

jaker52sig.png

signatureofteams.jpg

MUNCHEN LOWEN (WAFA) GULF SHORES OSPREYS (IBL)

I understand taking this conservative position as mls needs to establish primary visual identities for it's clubs. As a casual observer there only appear to be a handful of them that have a really memorable visual identity. If they actually had some good marketing leadership they could easily add a 3rd and wear it once or twice as part of a promotional event. The problem arises when there's no schedule or consistency and kits are worn interchangeably you get the dilution and confusion. With that being said does mls adhere to actual home/away kits or is that a marketing term and they go primary/clash like the rest of the leagues?

since kits is plural and you can only have one third per team, I believe it means across the board.

That's a bit of a presumption. The author could have easily said "...in MLS" but didn't. So I don't think we can take that as actual confirmation of anything.

Yeah it definitely reads that the Galaxy won't have 3rd kits this season, and not the entire league. Plus we already know chicago will be using a third kit this season, and after seeing the timbers' third kit with the new mls badge in a local soccer shop, I am pretty confident theirs will be in use this year as well.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

I guess that's the reason why Dallas stopped wearing hoops? Having no third kits allowed actually eliminates any hooped or striped shirts because it would clash with the home and away kits of some clubs.

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

I guess that's the reason why Dallas stopped wearing hoops? Having no third kits allowed actually eliminates any hooped or striped shirts because it would clash with the home and away kits of some clubs.

Dallas' hoops actually made it easier to distinguish them against most teams in the league. Their only real issue was when Chicago had white away jerseys. That was why it makes sense for both teams to have third jerseys. I think only LA, Seattle and Colorado have really tried to create a second or third jersey that didn't clash with any other jerseys in the league. Everyone else usually just reversed the colors on the home jersey for the aways.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

White at home, colour on the road, clash as a third. Is that too hard?

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

White at home, colour on the road, clash as a third. Is that too hard?

Teams should have a choice as to how they look. At the beginning of MLS it was strictly home and away uniforms. Granted the colors used made it necessary for the Nike teams to follow that. Eventually the teams figured out what their signature look was and it took off from there. I'd like the away kits to be a little different color wise. Some teams like Red Bulls would look silly simply swapping colors home and away.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Wear your colors until you can't.

Exactly. The Galaxy should be able to wear their whites everywhere, except when they go to a place like Vancouver. Then and only then, change kit.

But I do like stepping outside the regular color scheme just a little for that change kit. Especially when you can make it traditional, like Arsenal's blue and gold.

Wear your colors until you can't.

Exactly. The Galaxy should be able to wear their whites everywhere, except when they go to a place like Vancouver. Then and only then, change kit.

But I do like stepping outside the regular color scheme just a little for that change kit. Especially when you can make it traditional, like Arsenal's blue and gold.

I don't think adidas and MLS teams want to make a clash kit traditional. If you have a tradition for a clash then it becomes harder for teams to pitch clash kits in trendy colors, so they wouldn't need to work within the constraints teams with more tradition have
07Giants.pngnyy.png

Over the past several years, MLS teams mixed away kit conventions from Europe (wear your primary kit as much as possible on the road) and America (a consistent secondary scheme, usually a color swap). That's why it's so radical for the Revolution to go with a red shirt with green accents for their away this year. Seattle is the only club that regularly goes crazy on their secondaries and thirds. Perhaps Colorado too, though rumor has it blue/yellow/red is their new regular secondary scheme.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Archived