A world boxing champ in the family?

Viper

On a few occasions I've mentioned my pro boxing cousin, "Golden" Caleb Truax. He's fought on ESPN a few times as well as Showtime. Well, on April 11 he will be fighting on NBC's new Premier Boxing Champions telecast for the WBA middleweight championship, at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, NY.

Obviously, this will be the biggest bout of Caleb's career by far. He already holds a few "minor" title belts from regional and domestic circuits; this will be his first shot at a major belt, and probably the biggest crowd (and TV audience) he's ever fought in front of. It'll also be a hometown crowd for the reigning champ Daniel Jacobs, so bringing home the title will be a tall order. Still, I'm proud of Caleb and know he will give Jacobs a hell of a run for his belt!

CCSLC signature.png

On a few occasions I've mentioned my pro boxing cousin, "Golden" Caleb Truax. He's fought on ESPN a few times as well as Showtime. Well, on April 11 he will be fighting on NBC's new Premier Boxing Champions telecast for the WBA middleweight championship, at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, NY.

Obviously, this will be the biggest bout of Caleb's career by far. He already holds a few "minor" title belts from regional and domestic circuits; this will be his first shot at a major belt, and probably the biggest crowd (and TV audience) he's ever fought in front of. It'll also be a hometown crowd for the reigning champ Daniel Jacobs, so bringing home the title will be a tall order. Still, I'm proud of Caleb and know he will give Jacobs a hell of a run for his belt!

Congratulations to him for getting the title shot. I hope he does well but more important, I hope he avoids serious injury.

On an aesthetic note, I've always felt the WBA strap was the most beautiful and well-constructed of the bunch. I used to collect title belts, and still have one from an aborted project I was involved in to launch a new, fan-based championship sanctioning body called the "People's Boxing Organization." I might be putting that strap up on eBay soon though in order to raise money to get http://www.1019WKRP.com started.

Unlike the WBO and other orgs, the WBA doesn't commission belts made of resin, but rather metal. The simulated stones can easily come out of their prongs though... so if he wins the belt, he might want to keep an eye out for that. :)

nav-logo.png

Archived