Baseball pants: which is better?

MNtwins3

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

pajama pants suck, but I don't like capri pants either. And don't get me started on stripes. They're a relic from the past that should stay in the past.

Barry Larkin had it right for most of his career

barrylarkin-771887.jpglarkin201.jpg

not super tight, but not baggy either. They're at mid calf to almost ankle length. Plus the baddest high tops Astroturf ever saw. It's a nice equilibrium between the pajama pants and knee high pants. And he just looks like a person who's there to play a sport. He's not going to sleep for 8 hours (Manny Ramirez), but he's not going fox hunting either (Hunter Pence). Another reason Barry Larkin is the GOAT.

PvO6ZWJ.png

pajama pants suck, but I don't like capri pants either. And don't get me started on stripes. They're a relic from the past that should stay in the past.

Barry Larkin had it right for most of his career

barrylarkin-771887.jpglarkin201.jpg

not super tight, but not baggy either. They're at mid calf to almost ankle length. Plus the baddest high tops Astroturf ever saw. It's a nice equilibrium between the pajama pants and knee high pants. And he just looks like a person who's there to play a sport. He's not going to sleep for 8 hours (Manny Ramirez), but he's not going fox hunting either (Hunter Pence). Another reason Barry Larkin is the GOAT.

larkin2051.jpg

He eventually went full pajama so GOAT honors can not be awarded

xxx-baseball-games-nl-playoffs-1992-atla

Focus on the 2nd and 3rd guys in focus on this picture. That is how I like my baseball pant legs; the perfect compromise between the pajama pants look (for comfort) and the knee-high look (for style). :D (Although I have a soft spot for how things were in the 1980s.)

UBwef0L.png

This is the type of look I like best. Not too high, not too low.

hank-aaron-all-star.jpg

But as a player, I preferred the long pants with no sock showing. They were much more comfortable. I just wish they'd come into style about 10 years sooner than they did. I only got to wear them the last couple years that I played. The baggy/pajama look should be outlawed.

BB52Big.jpg

Show some damned color. If they're stirrups, cool, though a 4" stirrup is plenty. If they're socks, cool. But pajama pants are dumb.

36461803E.jpg

I mean, look at those beauties; or these, if you discount the fat guy (me) wearing them:

398988_3337555351559_1331554226_n.jpg?oh

Also, trying to wear pants with no elastic high is so very, very annoying.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

The ideal baseball aesthetic is the high pants look (almost mid-calf) with or without stirrups (preferably with), but there’s a fine balance between the length of the pants and the amount of stirrup showing. You don’t want the pants so high that they’re above the knee and billow out too much and look ridiculously goofy like Kinsler or Pence, but if you’re going to wear stirrups with very high pants they shouldn’t be to the extreme like Outman wears them because that looks equally tacky if not worse (in addition to giving fodder to those that hate stirrups to begin with).

These are my ideal pant lengths and the appropriate, balanced stirrup visibility to match the corresponding length including how to wear those with patterns on them. If a player absolutely doesn’t want stirrups then look no further than Mr. Thome for guidance. Pajama pants should be outlawed and any long pants should be tapered to the ankle. How anyone can find running around with more material in the way comfortable and less distracting is beyond me.

pant-length.png

The Cardinals dedicate an entire day to high socks with "High Sock Sunday," and most of the players participate. Are there any other teams that have a similar practice?

high-socks.jpg

I don't know or think the Pirates enforce it or promote it, but most Pirates play with high socks on Sundays with the throwback jerseys

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Another reason I think short pants will return is that kids these days like wearing tighter garments while playing sports. Football is a prime example, and I know must of us high school players love the compression shorts we wear under our baseball pants.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

The Cardinals dedicate an entire day to high socks with "High Sock Sunday," and most of the players participate. Are there any other teams that have a similar practice?

high-socks.jpg

I love that they seem to be banishing the guy who's wearing his cuffs low.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

There's a folding trick you can do to help with that. Also, do you always wear sleeves under your jersey? When I played, I had to have sleeves to at least my elbow. I couldn't stand playing without them. Didn't matter how hot it was, I always had a shirt with sleeves under the jersey. Wish Dri-Fit was available back then.

EDIT: And go over those cleats with a wet cloth to shine them up a little before every game. Clean shoes will add 15 points to your BA. B)

BB52Big.jpg

There's a folding trick you can do to help with that.

What I do is fold it twice and wrap athletic tape around once or twice, that seems to hold up with non elastic pants.

spacer.png

Give me a good pair of knickers any day. I wear my modern baseball pants like this when I play Softball. I get some comments like "You look goofy as hell" and "I love the old school pants, man!". But, it's comfortable for me and I enjoy the way it looks.

dk4.jpg

Everyone else in their pajama pants can enjoy tripping as they round third.

Archived