Stadium Series - Washington Capitals vs. Tampa Bay Lightning

Dbroalexander

HJC is holding a Stadium Series themed competition right now where entrants are to design uniforms for a hypothetical Stadium Series game.

I chose Washington and Tampa Bay as it would be an interesting game. Star power between Ovechkin and Stamkos, and the two teams don't always get along. They've had some heated playoff series in the past so I believe both fanbases could get behind this. Plus it introduces a new team to the outdoor scene.

All we have to create uniforms so all I'll be doing is adding the pants, helmets, etc. I won't be getting as in depth as some will. (Stadiums, Patches, Bleh, etc.) I may just use this years SS patch without a number as a placeholder. However, I imagine that the game would take place in DC, probably FedEx Field where the Redskins play as I'm not sure Florida can get or consistently stay cold enough to host an outdoor game. Raysox tells me it had been in the 40's that past week or so in Florida, but I feel like that was a fluke and he's a liar.

The set on the left, the way I see it, is a combo between 1) Arm length yoke with enlarged arm striping and 2) Vertical hem striping playing off of the yoke.

The set on the right features a large vertical stripe going down the torso.

I also created a new collar for these jerseys. It's basically an Edmonton style collar but more square

m81riw.jpg

16lwd8p.jpg

I'd choose 1 over 2 just because of the flak that these past SS jerseys had with horizontal stripes, I think it'd be doubled with vertical. I've always wanted to see the Bolts in an Electric Blue and Yellow look, and I think it'd work in the SS.

That's what- She

I've always wanted to see the Bolts in an Electric Blue and Yellow look, and I think it'd work in the SS.

I don't want to add any colors to their scheme. They've never used those colors so I'm going to choose to stay away from them. If you think fans would hate vertical stripes, I don't think they'd appreciate a team's identity being messed with for a national audience either.

Also... I did a thing.

11k8fad.jpg

Hey Dbro

you did a great job with the new collar. I like that a lot.

For the jerseys I must say that I am a bit disappointed. I'm always a big fan of your creative jersey designs - but this time - the reworked jerseys look very plain and more like sublimated Inline-Hockey jerseys. I also did not like the way they looked before. For the same reason.

The ones on the left I do like better but I would have liked to see different designs for each team.

I think that you could do much better.

Perhaps you are just right with your attempt and I do not see what you are going for. So perhaps you can explain a little more.

All the best wishes

Daniel

Hey Dbro

you did a great job with the new collar. I like that a lot.

For the jerseys I must say that I am a bit disappointed. I'm always a big fan of your creative jersey designs - but this time - the reworked jerseys look very plain and more like sublimated Inline-Hockey jerseys. I also did not like the way they looked before. For the same reason.

The ones on the left I do like better but I would have liked to see different designs for each team.

I think that you could do much better.

Perhaps you are just right with your attempt and I do not see what you are going for. So perhaps you can explain a little more.

All the best wishes

Daniel

1) Thanks for the compliments.

2) These aren't final, so they will get better. I post them here to get some feedback other than my own so I know what kinds of things can be changed.

3) No matter what I go with, the two jerseys will look similar. That's what the Stadium Series has done for two years. Each year all the jerseys follow the same basic template (minus the Devils because they're no fun). For right now they are the exact same, but once I choose a design each jersey will get changed to better match the team's current identity.

Not really feeling the updated cape style of the uniforms. I really like the top left for Washington, and the bottom right for Tampa, although I do also like Washington in navy primaries.

Good work!

Yeah I'm not too fond of it either. I think it's a neat idea but it looks more like a bib to me, that's why I kept it on the back. But I thought of it after I posted the originals here so I thought I might as well throw it up and see if anyone cared for it.

I like #1 better. #2 looks too much like a basketball jersey.. I also really like the collar as well! It looks like a cross between Edmonton's collar (as you pictured) and Anaheim's collar on their previous jersye's

I can see what you're saying about the basketball jersey. Hmm...

LOVE IT. mad that the sharks aren't in it but absoluteley love the uni designs.

Thanks, but I'm going to be honest with you..... I don't like the Sharks, so they're not my 'go-to' team for anything really.

Hey, D-BRO, can you do a wookie a favor and post just the chrome Lightning and Capitals logos that you used in these concepts. I've been actually trying to find a chrome Weagle logo for a quite a while now. Anyways, that first Lightning concept on the bottom left is alternate potential. Just fix the Shoulder Yolk so isn't pulling a Carolina and make the arm and waist stripes go around like a normal jersey and that would make quite a decent jersey. As for your Capitals concepts, I like your very first one on the top left.

Hey, D-BRO, can you do a wookie a favor and post just the chrome Lightning and Capitals logos that you used in these concepts. I've been actually trying to find a chrome Weagle logo for a quite a while now. Anyways, that first Lightning concept on the bottom left is alternate potential. Just fix the Shoulder Yolk so isn't pulling a Carolina and make the arm and waist stripes go around like a normal jersey and that would make quite a decent jersey. As for your Capitals concepts, I like your very first one on the top left.

I'll post those logos on their own soon. I refuse to consider them chrome though....they're just shiny. All I did to make them was add a low opacity gradient on top of them.

As for the stripes going all the way around, that's not the look I'm going for. I want the jersey to be more progressive, as the Stadium Series has been doing.

I'll post those logos on their own soon. I refuse to consider them chrome though....they're just shiny. All I did to make them was add a low opacity gradient on top of them.

As for the stripes going all the way around, that's not the look I'm going for. I want the jersey to be more progressive, as the Stadium Series has been doing.

Thanks in advance! Speaking about progressive jerseys, progressive doesn't have to mean cut off stripes and weird, wacky designs with shiny logos. I honestly think that's the problem with sports jerseys today. Don't get me wrong, once in a while, it's refreshing to see and try new ideas but in my opinion, they seem to overthink things and make the designs so complex. The best designs tend to be the simplest, ugh, if only the Tampa Bay Buccaneers got the memo. Your concepts are pretty good though. Anyways, for your concept, I can appreciate why you won't do that. That is the way of the Stadium Series afterall.

Thanks in advance! Speaking about progressive jerseys, progressive doesn't have to mean cut off stripes and weird, wacky designs with shiny logos. I honestly think that's the problem with sports jerseys today. Don't get me wrong, once in a while, it's refreshing to see and try new ideas but in my opinion, they seem to overthink things and make the designs so complex. The best designs tend to be the simplest, ugh, if only the Tampa Bay Buccaneers got the memo. Your concepts are pretty good though. Anyways, for your concept, I can appreciate why you won't do that. That is the way of the Stadium Series afterall.

Well, progressive doesn't HAVE to mean that, but it can. Last year's Stadium Series jerseys featured cut off diagonal striping, shiny logos, the works. While this year, the jerseys design was toned down and simplified as they took a somewhat different approach. I've been trying to find a middle ground between the two. But overall, I want to keep things simple, as that's where design is headed and has been for a little while.

Problem with trying to simplify a hockey jersey too much is that a lot of those "simple" designs have been done and if you simplify too much and strip a hockey jersey of a lot, you have a blank practice jersey...and no one wants that.

Well, progressive doesn't HAVE to mean that, but it can. Last year's Stadium Series jerseys featured cut off diagonal striping, shiny logos, the works. While this year, the jerseys design was toned down and simplified as they took a somewhat different approach. I've been trying to find a middle ground between the two. But overall, I want to keep things simple, as that's where design is headed and has been for a little while.

Problem with trying to simplify a hockey jersey too much is that a lot of those "simple" designs have been done and if you simplify too much and strip a hockey jersey of a lot, you have a blank practice jersey...and no one wants that.

That's very true. If only the Sharks got the memo a couple years ago about being so simple they look like they're wearing Practice Jerseys. What I mean by simple is that it doesn't have a bunch of weird things like chrome alarm clock numbers or weird piping like the Avalanche. I'm the type of person that prefers jerseys like the Leafs' Winter Classic, the Kings Throwback and the Oilers jerseys. Also, thanks again for posting your chrome logos. Any chance you could do that for all the NHL teams? I know I'm not the only one out there that has been seeking certain chromed logos.

Archived