Uniforms that were ahead of their time?

Diamond Dweller

I'm just gonna throw out the MLB Turn Ahead the Clock uniforms, even though they were atrocious and meant to be ahead of their time (and well probably never see anything like them again)

https://www.google.com/search?q=mlb+turn+ahead+the+clock+uniforms&client=safari&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=2BXyVJTiJMWpogTVoYKgDQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1024&bih=672

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

I agree that the Bengals were ahead of their time, but in 1981, not 2004.

I'm just gonna throw out the MLB Turn Ahead the Clock uniforms, even though they were atrocious and meant to be ahead of their time (and well probably never see anything like them again)

https://www.google.com/search?q=mlb+turn+ahead+the+clock+uniforms&client=safari&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=2BXyVJTiJMWpogTVoYKgDQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1024&bih=672

I thought we'd see them in 2027...on all teams.

First one that came to mind for me was the 1997 Broncos update. I don't actually know that this is the case, but it seems that the plain sleeves were meant to recognize that sleeves were going away. Plus the stupid tapering helmet stripe.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Agree. The tiger-stripe helmets were a big departure from a logo (or number, or nothing) on the side of the helmet. And some people HATED them. But by now it seems they're well accepted and kind of an older inspiration for some recent stuff. They are particularly ahead of their time because it took a long time before any really did something like this again.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Not sure of that counts, they were meant to be ahead of their time. They weren't regulars either, they were one-time deals.

Agree. The tiger-stripe helmets were a big departure from a logo (or number, or nothing) on the side of the helmet. And some people HATED them. But by now it seems they're well accepted and kind of an older inspiration for some recent stuff. They are particularly ahead of their time because it took a long time before any really did something like this again.

Fun fact: counting facemask color changes (and I don't know why you wouldn't) only the Packers, Steelers, Cowboys, Chiefs, Raiders helmets have gone unchanged longer. The Bengals helmet is now the 6th oldest unchanged design in the NFL.

PvO6ZWJ.png

and nobody even mentions the hideous Steelers "bumblebee" unis

Not to start anything here, but hideous or unique doesn't equal "ahead of its time."

Did the bumblebee style of uniforms ever become popular at some point later in time? If not, then I don't think it can be considered "ahead of their time."

Archived