One Year Uniforms

ltjets21

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/18/2018 at 3:13 PM, BelfourThibault said:

I loved that home set, and I have no idea why they only kept it for that one ASG season. I have the hat, but try not to wear it often because it's only going to get harder to replace. 

here's the crazy part to me, there was a road version that was only worn by Myers/Pomeranz at Petco Park (their home ballpark) during the ASG.

MyersStory_j2dfbx21_64wb8zkb.jpggettyimages-546722658.jpg?w=1000&h=600&c

On 7/22/2018 at 4:51 AM, Ray Lankford said:

But they’re not the A, they’re the A’s.

Theyre the Athletics, and A’s is just a nickname, like O’s for Orioles, which is equally awkward. They wore A for a lot of their existence, and it’s more in line with the baseball tradition - at least since an O just wouldn’t be right for a team that’s always had an A in some form 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 7/21/2018 at 6:23 PM, SFGiants58 said:

“A” would work if the team still played in Philadelphia and Kansas City, but A’s has been in Oakland for nearly 50 years and associated with the best periods in franchise history (the 1970s “Swingin’ A’s). 

ydt3406ddwhd2pncda6epyoh4.png

I’m in favor of keeping the “A’s” over “A.”

I'm torn on A vs. A's given the long history with just the A.  What I am sure of is that the 's part should be in a font that goes with the Olde English A.  The version they use makes it look like the 's was just slapped on with no forethought.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On 7/7/2015 at 1:16 AM, BJ Sands said:

UNPOPULAR OPINION ALERT

Those Iowa uniforms were tremendous and I'd love to see an updated version as the base of their identity.

Reading through this thread I was going to post the same thing... then saw I already did three years ago!!!

4 hours ago, leopard88 said:

I'm torn on A vs. A's given the long history with just the A. 

I am also torn.  I grew up with the "A's" script; and still think that it looks wonderful.

Related image

(And there's a chap who knows how to wear his socks!)

But the "A" by itself looks so nice, as well.

Image result for a's philadelphia throwbacks    Image result for a's 1965 throwbacks

4 hours ago, leopard88 said:

What I am sure of is that the 's part should be in a font that goes with the Olde English A.  The version they use makes it look like the 's was just slapped on with no forethought.

This is an interesting assertion.  It is the critique that I have of the Brooklyn Cyclones' logo, which features a C in a modern sans-serif font sitting incongruously alongside an ornate serif-laden B.  Coincidentally, I cite the C in Kansas City Athletics' cap logo as one that would complement the Cyclones' B much better.

Image result for brooklyn cyclones cap        Image result for kc a's cap

The Cyclones once did a 1913-themed throwback, during which they wore a cap logo in which the B and the C actually did match:

Image result for brooklyn cyclones 1913 throwback cap

Anyway, in the A's case, I don't know if you really want an Old English "S" next to the Old English "A".  It would look far too busy.

A_s_logo_with_old_english_S.png

I think the standard S works to set off the ornateness of the A.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

22 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Anyway, in the A's case, I don't know if you really want an Old English "S" next to the Old English "A".  It would look far too busy.

A_s_logo_with_old_english_S.png

I think the standard S works to set off the ornateness of the A.

Looking at the many variations of "Old English" fonts that appears to exist, I think it could work if:

1.  A different variation was used (i.e., one not quite as ornate as your example).

2.  The s was slightly smaller so it doesn't compete as much with the A.

Maybe one of these would work better:

Old-English-Stencil.jpg

EngraversOldEnglish.gifold-english-lettering-temporary-tattoos_

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

7 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Theyre the Athletics, and A’s is just a nickname, like O’s for Orioles, which is equally awkward. They wore A for a lot of their existence, and it’s more in line with the baseball tradition - at least since an O just wouldn’t be right for a team that’s always had an A in some form 

They've worn A's on their hat for half a century and have been referred to as such for probably just as long. You can't bring up tradition and then toss out the last 50 years.

9 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

In line with baseball tradition would be using a monogram that represents your city, not your nickname, so if they're going to use letters to represent their nickname (perfectly acceptable), I'd prefer they use their entire nickname (or even the "nickname" of their nickname), so I'm definitely in favor of the "'s" staying.. And if we're going to reference history, they used their city monogram on their cap at both their previous locations, so having an "O" wouldn't be inappropriate..

On 7/22/2018 at 7:05 AM, axiom20xx said:

here's the crazy part to me, there was a road version that was only worn by Myers/Pomeranz at Petco Park (their home ballpark) during the ASG.

MyersStory_j2dfbx21_64wb8zkb.jpggettyimages-546722658.jpg?w=1000&h=600&c

On 7/11/2018 at 10:01 PM, Crabcake47 said:

That set had so much potential. Shame they moved on from it so soon. 

spacer.png

I dislike A's for the same reason I dislike O's, D-Backs, and the old M's logo.  It's a nickname of a nickname. 

The jersey and cap look cleaner with the simple A.  

As for tradition, sure - it's more traditional to wear a monogram that represents your city rather than team name, except that in their case they started out doing the latter, and given that it's still a single letter, it's still far more in line with baseball tradition than adding the 's.  Sure they've worn it for long enough that they've built up a lot of equity with that logo, but from a purely aesthetic standpoint, the A would look much better.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 3/2/2015 at 5:40 PM, illwauk said:

B1N0kJkIcAAYxsA.jpg

144101.jpg

The jerseys with the G in the stripes were introduced in 1984 and the pants are essentially what the Packers wear now, but 1988 was the only year they were worn together.

these are my favorite Packers unis even though we sucked from 84-88. I have one hanging in my den w/ the rest of the NFL jerseys worn in the 80s. 

Tuesday morning musings...The Patriots had a 2-year uniform (1991-92) followed by two one-year uniforms (1993 and 1994). Is that an NFL record for changes in such a short period of time?

On another note, I think the NFL's 5-year rule on changing jerseys (which must have come after the Patriots switched again in 1995) is far too conservative compared to other sports leagues. No wonder the Rams are in such a predicament, but I get that most of it is their own fault.

4 hours ago, Fresno St. Alum said:

these are my favorite Packers unis even though we sucked from 84-88. I have one hanging in my den w/ the rest of the NFL jerseys worn in the 80s. 

I tend to dislike uniforms where the sleeves and helmet have exactly the same logo on them. It just seems duplicative. The uniform should work as a set - not every part needs to have explicit team branding, especially where the two logos are maybe 10 inches apart.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

7 hours ago, whitedawg22 said:

I tend to dislike uniforms where the sleeves and helmet have exactly the same logo on them. It just seems duplicative. The uniform should work as a set - not every part needs to have explicit team branding, especially where the two logos are maybe 10 inches apart.

Thats why the Panthers uniform bugs me. Having logos on the helmet, jersey, and pants is too much.

Technically both are one year, but the road especially. Those stripes were dumb, as was moving the logo to the pants to compensate. 

32a325b34de8c6bc2b941f15bfba3841.jpg

5524b38a8369d.image.jpg

Archived