Edgewalkers

Herons

Owls

Killdeers

Kestrels

Goldeneyes

Grosbeaks

Cormorants

Admittedly, some of those names are better than others, and may not work for everybody, but when do names ever work for everybody?

While they are names that I personally haven't seen people use frequently, majority of them are of birds. There are too many of those these days.

Yes they are birds-kind of playing with the Blue Jays and stuff--and mentioning birds that don't get their due for team names...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another town I think is hard is Richmond. Its just kinda there y'know

As a native Richmonder , it's not that hard. Always have colonial american themed teams or if you do it tastefully, a team name like "rebels" or similar could work.

GB4tjYx.jpg?1?2352

player_was___taylor_by_verasthebrujah-d9

For me, the 2 hardest have been Louisville and Memphis. There are some immediate go-tos, but outoutside of them, it becomes harder:

Louisville Colonels

Louisville Thorobreds

Louisville Racers

Memphis Pharoahs

Memphis Hound Dogs

Looking for something more original, but somewhat stumped.

For me, the 2 hardest have been Louisville and Memphis. There are some immediate go-tos, but outoutside of them, it becomes harder:

Louisville Colonels

Louisville Thorobreds

Louisville Racers

Memphis Pharoahs

Memphis Hound Dogs

I always liked to use Memphis Blues

Santa Fe Desert Foxes - It just seems to roll off the tongue well. The name kinda popped into my head and I've stuck with it always because I like the sound.

A fan of Erwin Rommel perhaps?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erwin_Rommel

Having lived in Santa Fe for the better part of two years, the thought of that place having a major sports franchise gave me a chuckle...

I am doing a fictional baseball league set back in the early 1940s. It will have over 20 teams all on the eastern side of the United States. All of the teams won't be city based but state based. I need your help guys. I cannot think of names for Massachusetts, Rhode Island, North Carolina, and South Carolina. Your help is appreciated!

Louisville Colonels

Louisville Thorobreds

Louisville Racers

Memphis Pharoahs

Memphis Hound Dogs

Louisville Lightning (a nod to General Electric)

Louisville Browns (a nod to the local dish, the Hot Brown)

Louisville Mammoths (a nod to Mammoth Caves, about an hour south of the city)

Louisville Scriveners (a nod to Henry Watterson, the famous journalist for whom I-264 was re-named)

Memphis Blues (too obvious, though)

Memphis Smoke (a nod to the barbecue tradition)

Memphis Bombers (a nod to the Memphis Belle, the iconic B-17 bomber)

Memphis Hounds (a nod to the Elvis song)

There are probably a few more for Memphis.

(EDIT: The Memphis Belle was a B-17, not a B-29. Apologies.)

Columbus is especially difficult, considering Buckeyes, Blue Jackets, and Clippers are all city/state specific and work perfectly for their respective teams. Crew, on the other hand, not so much. Whenever I've created concepts or debated with friends on an appropriate name for a professional basketball or football team, nothing comes to mind fits as well as the first three teams above.

Although, when there were rumors of Sacramento Kings moving to Columbus, I suggested the Knights. A play on the Catholic fraternal organization Knights of Columbus and of the movie Like Mike, which features a Columbus native.

When thinking of football, specifically, it's difficult to suggest a team at all, simply because it would always fall second to Ohio State.

Columbus is especially difficult, considering Buckeyes, Blue Jackets, and Clippers are all city/state specific and work perfectly for their respective teams. Crew, on the other hand, not so much. Whenever I've created concepts or debated with friends on an appropriate name for a professional basketball or football team, nothing comes to mind fits as well as the first three teams above.

Although, when there were rumors of Sacramento Kings moving to Columbus, I suggested the Knights. A play on the Catholic fraternal organization Knights of Columbus and of the movie Like Mike, which features a Columbus native.

When thinking of football, specifically, it's difficult to suggest a team at all, simply because it would always fall second to Ohio State.

Something military related could work given the state's role in the Civil War.

Something military related could work given the state's role in the Civil War.

But that's from where the Blue Jackets name is derived. Maybe aviation, considering the state touts itself as the birthplace? (Granted, it's more Dayton-ish than Columbus)

MLK is currently alive in my universe.

Not sure whether this is uplifting or unsettling.

I believe it's a matter of the time frame. XD

I am doing a fictional baseball league set back in the early 1940s. It will have over 20 teams all on the eastern side of the United States. All of the teams won't be city based but state based. I need your help guys. I cannot think of names for Massachusetts, Rhode Island, North Carolina, and South Carolina. Your help is appreciated!

MA: Minutemen, Harbors, Harbormasters, Baymen, Pilgrims, Puritans, Sons (as in Of Liberty), Revolutionary's (Revs), Frigates, Codfish

RI: Clams, Waves, Red Roosters, Cutters, Sailors, Seamen

NC: Hounds, Runners, Aviators, Flyers, Pilots, Tides

SC: Palmettos, Sands

spacer.png

spacer.png

• 3 weeks later...

I'm struggling to find names for Newark and Philadelphia without going for the cliche Revolution theme. Anyone have any ideas?

Well there was a Negro League team named the Newark Eagles so that could always work as a historical callback. As for Philly you could always go back to their early NHL days of the Philadelphia Quakers.

z9e0rqit393ojiizsemd0t1hx.gif74937881997.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)North Carolina Tar Heels (2015 - Pres)

• 3 weeks later...

I was originally going to use the Steel for Boston with their ties to the ship industries and being a big port when I found out that the Bulldogs were in hawkfan89's PHL as well as my NAAB but we have conversed further and basically we are fielding the same team in the same universe in the same arena and the only difference is there will be different logos. You are welcome to use it if you want!

• 2 months later...

Oh, wow. There's been a lot more said in this thread that I missed. Time to catch up.

I'm struggling to find names for Newark and Philadelphia without going for the cliche Revolution theme. Anyone have any ideas?

Newark: Guards, Hitmen, Bricks, Masons, Marshes, Oilers (after all the refineries in the area), Eagles

Philadelphia: Penns, Bells, Stallions (Rocky reference), Brothers, Kites, Keystones, Stones,

Does anybody else have trouble with St. Louis? It seems like that's the city I always get a bad block with. I used to have trouble with Toronto, but have come around to getting more ideas for it.

Saints, Arches, Bishops, Centurions (from "Rome of the West" nickname), Legion (ditto)

Huh. St. Louis is pretty hard, isn't it?

Alright, I'm at a loss for Boston for my baseball thread. I thought about Masons, or anything revolutionary, even something Irish-sounding, but I've got nothing. Any help would be awesome.

The ones I'd posted earlier for Massachusetts work as well for Boston: Minutemen, Harbors, Harbormasters, Baymen, Pilgrims, Puritans, Sons (as in Of Liberty), Revolutionary's (Revs), Frigates, Codfish

What else could work in Winnipeg besides RCAF references?

Could "Haymakers" work in Saskatchewan? What other names could be used to honor wheat farming?

Winnipeg: Pegs, Winners, Volunteers, Black Devils, Rifles, Batallion

Saskatchewan/Wheat: Sheafs, Harvesters, Reapers, Praries, Red Lillies, Chrome

spacer.png

spacer.png

Archived