Hardest City for Fictional Concept Leagues

macalesterscots

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Raptorman415 said:

Newark is a problem for me. Mainly because Devils is just to good of name for a New Jersey team and I wanna be original. 

The official color of the New Jersey flag is "Jersey Blue." So I often go with Newark Blues or New Jersey Blues.

I hear you though. I think the problem with Newark is that all the culturally significant things about it either fly under the radar or are just assumed to be from New York. A lot of people have no idea that much of the PBS programming they've watched was produced at the WNET studios in Newark.  Or that the tube from the RCA television they may have watched those shows on came from a factory right outside of Newark.

• 2 months later...

Personally, I always struggle with Ypsilanti. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

On 3/13/2015 at 3:05 PM, Xist2inspire said:

I always use "Juice" (one of the proposed names for the Magic), with a color scheme of orange, lime green, and white. It's a bit of a silly name, I know, but I love the colors, and it's fitting considering that Orlando is the county seat of Florida's Orange County, and was once a big part of Florida's citrus industry, which is something else Florida's famous for. Plus I always found it pretty neat that the abbreviation for "Orlando Juice" is "OJ."

There was such a team, in baseball's Senior League, complete with the "OJ" logo on the hat. It didn't use lime green, instead using blue alongside orange and white.

1990_Pacific_Senior_League_188_Jose_Cruz.jpg  1990_Pacific_Senior_League_214_Bill_Madlock.jpg

1990_Pacific_Senior_League_193_Doug_Corbett.jpg

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

On 7/21/2018 at 12:17 PM, pianoknight said:

Personally, I always struggle with Ypsilanti. 

The Ypsilanti Members.

250px-Ypsilanti_Water_Tower_2011.JPG

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

On 5/6/2018 at 5:46 AM, jship23 said:

Utah/Salt Lake City: Saints, Angels, Seagulls (state bird), Stags, Storm, Blizzard, Grizzlies, Raptors, Swarm

Cincinnati: Silverbacks 

Mississippi: Mud Hens

Boston: Dragons, Beacons, Pilgrims

St. Louis: Spirits, Arches, Showboats

Columbus: Cannons

Portland: Pioneers, Thorns, Storm

Wichita: Wizards (Wizard of Oz reference)

Detroit: Drive

San Francisco: Gold, Rush, Prospectors, Fog

Oakland: Oaks, Acorns

San Diego: Seals, Sea Lions, Seagulls, Breakers, Sombreros

Richmond: Rebels, Renegades

Idaho/Boise: Gems, Bucks, Stags, Spuds

Albuquerque: Arrows, Arrowheads

Las Vegas: Aces, Blackjacks, Vipers

Orlando: Orange 

Colorado/Denver: Gold, Miners, Prospectors, Centennials

Vancouver: Kodiaks, Lumberjacks 

Hold on a sec!!!! The state bird of Utah is the seagull? No way!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/25/2018 at 12:45 AM, neo_prankster said:

Anyone having problems with Houston?

Trying to look beyond the oil industry and space program for inspiration.

And a name for Pittsburgh without being an analogue to the Steelers.

Oakland is even tougher without trying to emulate the Raiders.

Not sure what the issue is with Houston... most cities only have one or two things you free associate them with, from which sports teams identities are drawn from.  If you had to avoid those things with Houston, you could go with an "old west" identity.

Pittsburgh (and Seattle) more or less have an established canon for what their sports teams should look like.  To where if you veer too far from it, it doesn't seem believable.  I wouldn't worry too much about your teams looking like the Steelers when they've actually had a team in real life (the Penguins) change their identity to look more like them.

Oakland is a tough one though.  The Raiders pretty much are their identity, and they're about to move.

On 8/25/2018 at 12:45 AM, neo_prankster said:

Harveys?

Excellent!

On 8/25/2018 at 1:45 AM, neo_prankster said:

For Houston, if it's a baseball team, I'd go for Swingers.  The "state music" is apparently Western Swing. As for a non baseball team, maybe "Eights" referring to the eight second ride a rider needs to accomplish while riding a bull at a rodeo.

10 hours ago, NicDB said:

Oakland is a tough one though.  The Raiders pretty much are their identity, and they're about to move.

The one aspect of Oakland that no sports team has really emphasized yet is our massive port. The cranes are a pretty well-known symbol in town (the false rumor I grew up with is that George Lucas based the AT-AT on Oakland's cranes).

maxresdefault.jpg

On that note, maybe something nautical/shipping related? I'm thinking Oakland Express, Clippers, Captains, Guardians (of the Coast, that is), or Pirates (that was my high school's mascot).

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

Archived