Hardest City for Fictional Concept Leagues

macalesterscots

On 11/6/2016 at 12:21 PM, ~Bear said:

I like Triplets but if I decide to do Brothers for Philly and I'm going with "Twin Cities."

I thought about Toros for Dallas but that's similar to the Texas Longhorns. I also want to stay away from Outlaws or Bandits. 

I might do Keystones for Pittsburgh and maybe Armadillos for Dallas. 

Thanks everyone one though for your suggestions. 

This is really for the person that said "bull riding is really big in Dallas, right?"

yes, everyone in Dallas rides horses to work...as I shake my head in disbelief.  Dallas is a VERY metropolitan, high tone town...as you should know from the last 50 years of the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...
2 hours ago, Raptorman415 said:

I’m doing baseball. I want to use something that isn’t motor related because this team, per say, has been around since like the 1880s.

If we're going 1880s, so with something generic. Bulldogs, Wildcats, Bears, Reds/Blues/Greens.

Otherwise, the area started based on the fur trade, so Trappers could work.

Back in 2001, I was a big WWF fan. The creation of the XFL back then got me thinking about creating my own league. The following is the league that I created. Some names have evolved during the years, but the cities and divisions have always remained the same. This is the inaugural season teams, and expansion did happen in later years.

National League 

West

Los Angeles Blue Waves

San Diego Mangitude

Denver Mountaineers

Las Vegas High Rollers

Central

St. Louis Archers

Chicago Crosswind

Milwaukee Monsters

Cincinnati Sky Hawks

South

Miami Shine

Atlanta Predators

Carolina Rush

Dallas Bandits

East

New York Freedom

Philadelphia Inferno

Washington Stars

Detroit Riot

American League

West

San Francisco Commanders

Seattle Reign

Arizona Scorps

Albuquerque Aliens

Central

Kansas City Monarchs

Indianapolis Ironwings

Minnesota Gladiators

Nashville Silverbacks

South

Tampa Bay Sun Sharks

Orlando Badgers

New Orleans Rhythm

Houston Zodiac

East

Boston Quest

Baltimore Wolves

Pittsburgh Pioneers

Cleveland Jam

I'm trying to come up with names with these cities, but I haven't been able to figure them out. Most of the names I've seen used for these have seemed too minor league-ish for me. Do y'all have any suggestions?

Anaheim

Brooklyn (New York)

Miami

Milwaukee

Minnesota (Minneapolis)

San Jose

8 minutes ago, RavenclawWiz816 said:

I'm trying to come up with names with these cities, but I haven't been able to figure them out. Most of the names I've seen used for these have seemed too minor league-ish for me. Do y'all have any suggestions?

Anaheim

Brooklyn (New York)

Miami

Milwaukee

Minnesota (Minneapolis)

San Jose

Anaheim would be kinda tricky since a lot of Southern California's teams that moved from other states kept the names they had in their old cities. Plus, same with Orlando, Anaheim would be nothing without Disney.

San Jose: Hard to resist doing Silicon Valley names.

40 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

Anaheim would be kinda tricky since a lot of Southern California's teams that moved from other states kept the names they had in their old cities. Plus, same with Orlando, Anaheim would be nothing without Disney.

The whole LA area is tough. My main LA team are called the Los Angeles Aftershock, and I've thought about switching the Aftershock name to Anaheim, but then I couldn't think of what to call LA either.

28 minutes ago, RavenclawWiz816 said:

The whole LA area is tough. My main LA team are called the Los Angeles Aftershock, and I've thought about switching the Aftershock name to Anaheim, but then I couldn't think of what to call LA either.

What Sport and another question is how old is the team?

BOS2.png.28748cfa2d8957954518a9f81f4cd4e8.pngboston_captains_jersey_sig_by_verasthebrujah-dbp5b0z.jpg

6 minutes ago, RavenclawWiz816 said:

The sport is Lacrosse, and the LA team's from the 1960s, while Anaheim's is from the early 1990s

You could name LA the Coyotes, Sabretooths, Dire Wolves, or Mammoths after the La Brea Tar Pits, could always go the route of "Stars, Lights" or "Knights" going off the LA Nights pun.

Anaheim could do a "Raptors" move and name them after a popular movie during the time they were founded or being conceived 

BOS2.png.28748cfa2d8957954518a9f81f4cd4e8.pngboston_captains_jersey_sig_by_verasthebrujah-dbp5b0z.jpg

10 hours ago, RavenclawWiz816 said:

Anaheim

Brooklyn (New York)

Miami

Milwaukee

Minnesota (Minneapolis)

San Jose

Any time I think Minnesota I usually go with something forest related, like Wolves, Grizzlies, Bruins, etc

San Jose for me is usually either tech related or ocean related. What about Shock? Have an Eel as the mascot but also ties into technology/electricity. I know Eels aren’t really from their but penguins aren’t from Pittsburgh and bengal tigers don’t live in Cincinnati.

1 hour ago, JG36 said:

San Jose for me is usually either tech related or ocean related. What about Shock? Have an Eel as the mascot but also ties into technology/electricity. I know Eels aren’t really from their but penguins aren’t from Pittsburgh and bengal tigers don’t live in Cincinnati.

I've decided to name Anaheim the Aftershock and make LA the Stars, so thank you Darknes for the suggestions there. And for as good of a name the San Jose Shock is, I think it's too similar to the Aftershock for it to work.

1 hour ago, JG36 said:

Any time I think Minnesota I usually go with something forest related, like Wolves, Grizzlies, Bruins, etc

That's a good suggestion. I'll probably use something like Coyotes or Bears or something like that

• 1 month later...
On 3/3/2019 at 12:46 AM, RavenclawWiz816 said:

Anaheim

Brooklyn (New York)

Miami

Milwaukee

Minnesota (Minneapolis)

San Jose

As a lifelong South Florida resident, I could help you with teamnames for Miami...

Sharks-7 species of Shark are commonly found off the Florida coast

Storm (s)-Reference to the unpredictable South Florida climate and the monster hurricanes that occassionally blow through the state

Vice-Do I even need to explain this one?!

Cottonmouths-A venmous snake native to Florida often found in the Everglades

For those of you that run your own solitaire college athletic leagues: what are some go-to conference names that you've been able to come up with? I do mainly fictional college sports and have difficulty coming up with conference names as of late other than the obvious (i.e. Big North, Pacific Coast)

Archived