MCM0313

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I consider the original Tampa Bay Devil Rays set as such a 90s design. Gradients, the teal, and even just the team name alone makes it so 90s.

I don't disagree, but there wasn't any Teal in there...

TampaBayDevilRays_FRC01_2000_SCC_SRGB.pn

I consider the original Tampa Bay Devil Rays set as such a 90s design. Gradients, the teal, and even just the team name alone makes it so 90s.

I don't disagree, but there wasn't any Teal in there...

TampaBayDevilRays_FRC01_2000_SCC_SRGB.pn

It's about the only color that wasn't in there.

My nominee -- The St. John's skyline uniform

felipe-lopez-graduated-in-1993-basketbal

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

download.png

Was that a real concept? Or is this like that Teal Flyer jersey idea?

download_1.png

According to PittsburghHockey.Net, these two sublimated jersey designs were the finalists to become the new alternate, or third, jerseys for the Penguins for the 1994-95 season. Designed by Vance Wright Adams and Associates of Pittsburgh. The designs were nearly submitted to the NHL for approval, but the league’s labor dispute ultimately cancelled the project.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

12MilwaukeeMustangs_0_crop_exact.jpg?w=3

Sorry, the "most fantastic uniforms ever" thread is thataway.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

My pick was linked in the OP.

Villanova

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

12MilwaukeeMustangs_0_crop_exact.jpg?w=3

Sorry, the "most fantastic uniforms ever" thread is thataway.

No, you're confusing those with these... :Dorlando_110503_WIDE.jpg

I greatly enjoy both of these things!
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

People. Roller Hockey. New Jersey. They put a cheesy 90's rollerblading helmet on the dude on the jersey, who by the way, was blading over a massive CD.

nj95gr.jpg

Oh, the league is still around. Evidently it has expanded to Europe.

This thread is now "post anything from the 90's"

For the most 90's-tastic uniform it's tough to beat the Pistons teal. There will never be another time when it'd be okay for a team from Detroit, Michigan to wear teal. Like previously said, that had all the dated hallmarks of 90's style.

Joe-Dumars.jpeg

There were other teams who totally jumped on the trends of the day (the Islanders, Houston Rockets, and Anaheim Angels come to mind), but none were so shameless about it and none of those 90's rebrands were ever as ill-fitting for the franchise as teal was the Detroit Pistons. The Pistons threw out all their (recent) history to play trend follower, which is why they were only around for 5 or 6 years.

I actually liked the logo, though. When they first switched back to blue and red they still used the logo and it stands up in those colors better than it did in teal and yellow and black. It's a much better logo than the plain basketball and nothing says it has to appear on the uniforms. I wouldn't mind if they still used it as their primary.

Very true (what I bolded). BrianLion enumerated it perfectly (and on page 1, sort of /thread'ing it early): the teal, the cartoon logo (wordmark), the color overload, and the asymmetry are all hallmarks of the 90s to me, and the Pistons combined them into one uniform. The only thing it's missing in my opinion is a wild pattern sublimated on the jersey/shorts or used as striping.

And, like many of the posters here, I'm a fan of the logo too, especially in relation to the old school/generic basketball logo they went back to. The trend seems to be forcing your logo into a basketball now (76ers, Brooklyn Nets, Raptors, possibly the Clippers, etc.), so this would be a good time for Detroit to make like Atlanta and resurrect a creative logo.

Posting the recolored logo here for those who can't instantly recall it:

444.gif

And while it's true that this logo has a basketball too, it's much less the focal point and more of a "hey this is an NBA team" element.

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

People. Roller Hockey. New Jersey. They put a cheesy 90's rollerblading helmet on the dude on the jersey, who by the way, was blading over a massive CD.

nj95gr.jpg

I have a replica version of that.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived