MCM0313

Having Memphis is cool and all, but I really miss Vancouver being around. That identity was superb, and I would've loved to see it evolve in Vancouver.

Alas, Vancouver could probably support an NBA franchise again today.

Double alas: there is zero chance they get ahead of Seattle in that line.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having Memphis is cool and all, but I really miss Vancouver being around. That identity was superb, and I would've loved to see it evolve in Vancouver.

Fun fact: The Grizzlies had a fanbase in their Vancouver days bigger than the one they currently have in Memphis.

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

Question: Has Memphis ever tried to seriously market themselves to Mississippi/Arkansas? From what I can gather, Memphis is the "black sheep" of Tennessee. It might benefit them to reach out to the other Delta states, maybe even start a rivalry with the Pelicans for good measure.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

what was the most 90s matchup ever?

Vancouver-Grizzlies-Comeback.jpg

The original Naismith Cup, where Toronto played Vancouver every year (except the lockout in 1998) from 1995-2000:

naismithcup.gif

Does it bother anyone else that the raptor is in the "west" and the grizzly is in the "east"?

This without a doubt:

2015011507511522821186675200.jpg

It hits all the required Nineties uniform tropes:

1. Teal!

2. Cheesy cartoonish logo

3. Too many colors

4. Goofy number font

5. Bad, asymmetrical team name font

That "cheesy cartoonish logo" was the only good thing about it. And honestly, it should have been kept. It was the best logo the Pistons ever had.

Well... in R/W/B.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

Fun fact: The Grizzlies had a fanbase in their Vancouver days bigger than the one they currently have in Memphis.

Memphis should abandon the Grizzlies name, and rebrand with a new identity that suits the area. A future franchise in Vancouver (if it ever happens) can have their names back.

Question: Has Memphis ever tried to seriously market themselves to Mississippi/Arkansas? From what I can gather, Memphis is the "black sheep" of Tennessee. It might benefit them to reach out to the other Delta states, maybe even start a rivalry with the Pelicans for good measure.

You know, I've always wondered that. I lived in Mississippi for two years and I saw way more Heat and Pelicans fans than Grizzlies fans. It mostly depended on what part you were in - the coast (Gulfport-Biloxi) leaned heavily Pelicans whereas it seemed Jackson/Central MS had a lot of Heat fans. That said, it seemed the further north you got, the more you'd see the occasional Grizzlies fans here and there. It seems like most of the state should be prime territory for Memphis to market to, but for some reason it just hasn't seemed to happen as much as you'd imagine it should.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

What are you basing this on?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

what was the most 90s matchup ever?

Vancouver-Grizzlies-Comeback.jpg

The original Naismith Cup, where Toronto played Vancouver every year (except the lockout in 1998) from 1995-2000:

naismithcup.gif

Does it bother anyone else that the raptor is in the "west" and the grizzly is in the "east"?

It does now that you pointed it out...bastard

Those shorts.

The 90's were a great time for College basketball shorts

article-2241720-164F6292000005DC-823_634

That whole Utah uniform...my god. But seriously, what is going on with those shorts?

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

Those shorts.

It's amazing to think he's still playing in the NBA at a decent level.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Those shorts.

Gah, that '90s Reebok basketball font. How I loathed it.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

How has this not been shown yet?

1995-toronto-raptors-12.jpg

I think this has to be the winner. It has the requisite purple and/or teal color scheme, and cartoonish logo, but what puts it over the top is that the cartoon logo in question is of a dinosaur. It's like, how much more 90s could this be? And the answer is none. None more 90s.

The thick silver and black pinstripes which have a little zig zag to them.....thats how even more 90s it can be.

Let's not forget those nameplates and numbers!

7226_343_98vcar1_1_l.jpg

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

What are you basing this on?
Ticket sales and revenue.

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

Archived