MCM0313

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having Memphis is cool and all, but I really miss Vancouver being around. That identity was superb, and I would've loved to see it evolve in Vancouver.

Alas, Vancouver could probably support an NBA franchise again today.

Double alas: there is zero chance they get ahead of Seattle in that line.

Fun fact: The Grizzlies had a fanbase in their Vancouver days bigger than the one they currently have in Memphis.
What are you basing this on?
Ticket sales and revenue.

That's a poor indication of a team's fan base. Basketball tickets are expensive, and the median income in the Memphis region is lower than the median income in Vancouver.

Having Memphis is cool and all, but I really miss Vancouver being around. That identity was superb, and I would've loved to see it evolve in Vancouver.

Alas, Vancouver could probably support an NBA franchise again today.

Double alas: there is zero chance they get ahead of Seattle in that line.

Fun fact: The Grizzlies had a fanbase in their Vancouver days bigger than the one they currently have in Memphis.
What are you basing this on?
Ticket sales and revenue.

What were the totals for both? I'd like to see where you found this data, and also the financial statements for the revenue.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Question: Has Memphis ever tried to seriously market themselves to Mississippi/Arkansas? From what I can gather, Memphis is the "black sheep" of Tennessee. It might benefit them to reach out to the other Delta states, maybe even start a rivalry with the Pelicans for good measure.

You know, I've always wondered that. I lived in Mississippi for two years and I saw way more Heat and Pelicans fans than Grizzlies fans. It mostly depended on what part you were in - the coast (Gulfport-Biloxi) leaned heavily Pelicans whereas it seemed Jackson/Central MS had a lot of Heat fans. That said, it seemed the further north you got, the more you'd see the occasional Grizzlies fans here and there. It seems like most of the state should be prime territory for Memphis to market to, but for some reason it just hasn't seemed to happen as much as you'd imagine it should.

When were you in MS? I lived in Memphis from 2006-2014 and with Grizzlies support it could be divided into two eras (pre 2011 playoff run and after). The city fell in love with the team then and haven't really looked back. They'll always struggle with revenue because of population and limited wealth but it was night and day before and after that first playoff series win.

The Grizz have finally started marketing out of Memphis more. They do watch parties in Nashville and even started showing some games up in St. Louis where I live now. They need to get their lease modified requiring all home games be played at the Forum to allow them to play some preseason games in Nashville, St. Louis, and Little Rock. No one goes to preseason games in NBA cities and it would be a bigger event in non-NBA markets. There were over 13.5k in St. Louis for a Bulls home preseason game vs. MEM at Scottrade Center. That should be an annual or biannual event.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

what was the most 90s matchup ever?

Vancouver-Grizzlies-Comeback.jpg

The original Naismith Cup, where Toronto played Vancouver every year (except the lockout in 1998) from 1995-2000:

naismithcup.gif

Does it bother anyone else that the raptor is in the "west" and the grizzly is in the "east"?
YES! My OCD is twitching.

For most Naismith Cup matchups, including the first two, the Grizzlies were the home team. I would guess that that's why they have Raptors "before" Grizzlies in the logo, much like on a scorebug you have the visiting team on the left and the home team on the right. Maybe that is why they have the teams arranged that way.

Archived