Basketball Tops/Shorts Colors

Island_Style

All the major sports aren"t afraid to go top one color, bottoms another color. All but basketball. It seems like every team will wear the same color shorts as their primary color of their top. How often do basketball teams venture out of this thinking? I can only think of two examples off the top of my head. The old Washington Bullets, and I think Marquette. I feel like they wore blue tops with gold shorts at one time. I could be wrong. I cant find a picture. Here is Washington.

03_bullets_display_image.jpg?1308590747

Anyone have more examples? It may not be as rare as I think. No, I"m not counting K-State's mishap.

EDIT: Can't find Marquette's blue and gold, but here is their old white and gold.

detail.6e4039ed.jpg

I would have loved those Oregon uniforms if they hadn't had the dark green feather on the shorts, it really threw off the whole look.

And I guess you can say adidas kind of did this with those atrocious March Madness zubaz shorts a few years back.

625513_10151262594056536_1659244568_n-93

Syracuse and Nike did it last year too

14316421-standard.jpg

Ohio State also planned to last year according to promo pics, but for some reason went all grey instead of grey tops and red shorts.

spacer.png

I like the way it looks. I've always wished more teams would do it. It's a great way to insert more color into the sport.

It used to be really common in the 40's and 50's and then for whatever reason it fell by the way side and it kind of became a hard rule that your shorts must always match your top.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I actually liked KU's zubaz blue shorts but they never wore them because they were always the higher seed.

Acts 16:31 - And they replied: "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved, you and your household."

John 3:16 - "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life."

John 14:6 - Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father, except through me."

I played against a couple schools in Jr. High (late 80's-early 90's) that still wore colored shorts with their white jerseys.

We did that in middle school too (1998-2001) but that was only because we only had one pair of shorts...

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

I played against a couple schools in Jr. High (late 80's-early 90's) that still wore colored shorts with their white jerseys.

We did that in middle school too (1998-2001) but that was only because we only had one pair of shorts...
We were just told to wear black shorts

I've wondered how exactly this trend emerged in basketball. Another one is why white uniforms came to be worn by the home team in basketball, while in football the home team generally wears the team color jerseys and the away team wears white.

I've always wondered about that too, especially considering the home team in basketball would want to show off their colors to the hometown fans.

spacer.png

Okay, I'll go ahead and be the first to say that I think it looks horrible, like a middle school team that couldn't afford uniforms and had to piece together whatever they could find in the locker room closet.

That Washington Bullets uniform was sweet, though. It kinda coordinated with the jersey.

I've wondered how exactly this trend emerged in basketball. Another one is why white uniforms came to be worn by the home team in basketball, while in football the home team generally wears the team color jerseys and the away team wears white.

I've always wondered about that too, especially considering the home team in basketball would want to show off their colors to the hometown fans.

Probably for the same reason that the Cowboys starting wearing white at home every game - if you wear white at home every single game then the opponent looks different every game. The road team theyre playing changes color every game for the home fans. If you wear your dark color at home then your home fans are always seeing the same color (or whatever) vs. white.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I went to a 76ers game last month, first ever nba game live, and they wore their colored (blue) uniforms at home, it does make more sense, I felt like the hornets in white looked bland btw.

I would have loved those Oregon uniforms if they hadn't had the dark green feather on the shorts, it really threw off the whole look.

And I guess you can say adidas kind of did this with those atrocious March Madness zubaz shorts a few years back.

625513_10151262594056536_1659244568_n-93

Ugh! I remember those all too well...

Archived