2015 NFL Offseason

CS85

That's crazy. The Bills' situation isn't that bad. They just need somebody above replacement level to throw the ball to Watkins. Maybe the prospect of coaching a team with EJ Manuel as its starting QB was just too much.

I have to imagine he has something lined up. But did I read the story right: he's gonna get $4 million for 2015 even though he opted out?

Yeah, that's true. Also, according to SB Nation, he also wanted roster control and more money/years. And he didn't get along with the Bills GM.

In any event, 15-17 over two years doesn't make you Vince Lombardi. If that's where his head is, let's see who else is out there.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Becoming a Bill apparently meant becoming Bill Parcells. Whoa.

The majority of that is the result of the "pressure" of the job and they (most NFL coaches) believe that working a 65 hour week isn't good enough.
A report now states part of the reason he left is that he didn't like the media criticism. Good luck with that in New York, Dougie.

Becoming a Bill apparently meant becoming Bill Parcells. Whoa.

The majority of that is the result of the "pressure" of the job and they (most NFL coaches) believe that working a 65 hour week isn't good enough.
A report now states part of the reason he left is that he didn't like the media criticism. Good luck with that in New York, Dougie.
So his issues regarding media has put his staff out of jobs. Remember, his departure still trickles down.

What the hell is so bad about the Bills? They're a QB away from being a Super Bowl contender and all of a sudden everyone wants to get the :censored: out.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

While not necessarily "likely", don't be totally shocked if Chip Kelly is out in Philadelphia. He is butting heads with the GM who just fired Chip's hand-picked head of personnel, and is likely trying also to wrest football decisions away from Kelly, who has made some snide remarks about him recently. Pro Football Talk said that recent moves are leading up to a major announcement soon, which can't be a good thing. I think there's at least a chance that Kelly is being pushed out after the debacle of a season and horrible first-round pick.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

While not necessarily "likely", don't be totally shocked if Chip Kelly is out in Philadelphia. He is butting heads with the GM who just fired Chip's hand-picked head of personnel, and is likely trying also to wrest football decisions away from Kelly, who has made some snide remarks about him recently. Pro Football Talk said that recent moves are leading up to a major announcement soon, which can't be a good thing. I think there's at least a chance that Kelly is being pushed out after the debacle of a season and horrible first-round pick.

Well Kelly has control of player personnel as Roseman was named EVP of football operations. Still, I think Kelly is ultimately a college guy and he will leave after year 3. Kind of what I thought all along.

Well Kelly has control of player personnel as Roseman was named EVP of football operations. Still, I think Kelly is ultimately a college guy and he will leave after year 3. Kind of what I thought all along.

HOLY COW - that was NOT at all what I was expecting to happen - not al ALL. I have to imagine this shocked everybody. It seemed like the exact opposite was going on, and that Roseman had wrestled power away from Kelly.

I don't get the Gamble thing AT ALL now, unless it was his choice - you don't get rid of Chip's boy then give him final say to hire a new boy. I wonder if Roseman was really responsible for the Marcus Smith pick and the rest of the poor draft. I wonder how the cap management will work now, since I'd imagine Roseman will still be working that part and doing the negotiating. For getting a "promotion", boy has he taken a step down. WOW.

I really like Jeff Lurie's statement on this, though I don't believe him when he says that Chip didn't make any demands.

Wow... just wow.

"In the normal process of evaluating the end of the season, I meet with key executives for thorough discussions and evaluations of all aspects of football operations. During those lengthy meetings this week, we discussed a comprehensive approach on how to seamlessly integrate the personnel and coaching departments in order to maximize every facet of the process.

"Working with Chip, Howie and Don (Smolenski, the team president) we came up with what we believe will be a more thorough and thoughtful model that would best be overseen by Chip. It’s most important that we find players that match what our coaches are seeking

"This new approach goes even further than we have in the past starting with Day One of the scouting process. This is part of an all-encompassing vision that takes you from the scouting process all the way to on-field performance.

"Howie, Chip and Don are all united in their desire to win. Together, we decided this approach was the best course of action for the Philadelphia Eagles.

"You have heard me say many times that I want strong leaders who feel free to express their opinions. And that is what happened here. Chip will now lead this process going forward with the continued full support of Howie, Don and myself.

"Chip will not be doing this work by himself, obviously. He has been charged with recruiting and hiring a new personnel executive that will report directly to him and together we will move forward with this new, highly integrated approach.

"When I said – after the Giants game – that Howie was returning as general manager next season, I meant that. But after carefully listening and reflecting on the lengthy discussions that I had with our senior team, I changed my mind.

"I have a very good relationship with Chip that continues to grow stronger and stronger. When we spoke, he was thoughtful, thorough and professional. There were no demands, no threats- quite the contrary- he was passionate, engaged and articulated a dynamic and clear vision on how this fully integrated approach will work. We look forward to seeing it come to life over time.

"Let me also stress that Howie will continue to play a vital role in our operation. He has been elevated to the role of Executive Vice President of Football Operations and received a contract extension.

"In closing, we have looked hard at where we are today and what we want to become. We are all united in our desire to win for this city."

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Oh man - I just realized that now Chip has 100% power to trade the future of the team for Mariota. I wonder if that was his "vision" and the others weren't on board.

Since now all Howie does is contract negotions, cap management, and (*chuckles*) oversee the medical and equipment staff (*still chuckling*), he can't stand in Chip's way.

Apparently he has already reached out to the Jets for their GM opening after this total and complete deomotion that's being sold as a promotion.

Oh man - I just realized that now Chip has 100% power to trade the future of the team for Mariota. I wonder if that was his "vision" and the others weren't on board.

Since now all Howie does is contract negotions, cap management, and (*chuckles*) oversee the medical and equipment staff (*still chuckling*), he can't stand in Chip's way.

Apparently he has already reached out to the Jets for their GM opening after this total and complete deomotion that's being sold as a promotion.

Kelly's pace of play is essentially "oozing up" from the prep and college levels as opposed to the NFL tactics "trickling down" to the rest of the game. There will be more and more players which can play his system as he stays in the NFL.

Part of his future issues deals with free agency and how many impactful players want to go there, combined with how controlling his non-gameday related items are regarding performance (smoothies to sleep monitoring). The NFLPA is looking at Chip hard.

Kelly's pace of play is essentially "oozing up" from the prep and college levels as opposed to the NFL tactics "trickling down" to the rest of the game. There will be more and more players which can play his system as he stays in the NFL.

Part of his future issues deals with free agency and how many impactful players want to go there, combined with how controlling his non-gameday related items are regarding performance (smoothies to sleep monitoring). The NFLPA is looking at Chip hard.

First I've heard of NFLPA concerns (other than when he changed the practice schedule.) By all accounts, the players are on board with the smoothies and sleep monitoring - they seem to like being required to get 9+ hrs of sleep / day. There's a bunch of other weird stuff he makes them do too, but even off the record, they all seem to think it helps make them the most conditioned team in the league and puts them in position to wear teams down late in the year with their up-tempo offense. They simply weren't good enough this year.

I think players want to come here. The Eagles have one of the top practice facilities in the league, and certainly have the resources to attract players - it's just a matter of trusting them to pick the right players to bring in.

He keeps swearing that he doesn't have a "system", and can make something work with whoever he has - but that's clearly not true. There's a decent shot he's going to throw future #1s and 2s, and a guy like Fletcher Cox at TB (or McCoy if anyone would take a 26-year-old back with a big cap number next year.)

According to Schefter, Doug Marrone didn't approve of the Watkins trade.

Maybe the Bills could have picked up Odell Beckham and kept their 2015 #1 (which obviously would have been the smartest move), but at the time, Watkins was seen as the consensus #1 receiver of the 2014 draft. And even with injuries and some mediocre quarterbacks, he still had a great year -- nearly 1,000 yards receiving and 6 touchdowns. That Odell Beckham turned into rookie Randy Moss 2.0 shouldn't be a knock against Watkins.

I was a fan of the Marrone signing, but I don't really get the diva behavior. He's lifetime 15-17 as a head coach, and was 6-10 last year. There's no way the team would have or should have given him player personnel decision-making.

It's frustrating to be facing a reset as a Bills fan, but at least this time the cupboard isn't bare.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Please stop. Tampa needs a QB and won't trade down 19 spots

Please stop. Tampa needs a QB and won't trade down 19 spots

They would if Chip says "hell, I won't be here in 3 years anyway, so howabout you take our next 10 first-round picks?"

I'm so curious about how this all happened. I haven't heard much of anything, other than the statements that were released, which sound like complete fabrications, since if there was a meeting of the "senior executives" where this new model was discussed, Howie wouldn't have fired Chip's guy Gamble. Chip had to have basically said "it's either him or me" and Lurie picked Chip.

The NFL doesn't want someone screwing their team over with the "I won't be here in three years" mentality. I doubt any of the major sports leagues let you trade draft picks more than a few years in advance.

Archived