2015 NFL Offseason

CS85

So the Bills saw the Sun contract with Miami and put in poison pills so that Miami didn't match the Transition.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/sfl-dolphins-wont-match-bills-offer-for-tight-end-charles-clay-20150319-story.html

So Ryan Tannehill, going into his option year, has lost the following pass catchers:

Wallace

Clay

Hartline

Gibson

Dennis Hickey is just cashing checks with no authority as GM when he has "control" over the 53, since Mike Tannenbaum is definitely running this team.

Poor Philbin.

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dave Dameshek of NFL.com wrote an article about Bold Predictions for the 2015 season. In the article he wrote about the Saints moving up in the draft to select Marcus Mariota, but as collateral, the Saints would trade Drew Brees (who has been rumored to be traded). The two teams he suggested as possible suitors were the Redskins and Jets. As a Redskins fan, I love this idea of possibly landing Brees. So I thought, how and what could the Redskins (and Saints) give up to make this trade happen? At first, I tried to come up with a 2012 RG3-type deal, but x2. Then I thought, well The Redskins have 3 quarterbacks (Robert Griffin III, Kirk Cousins, Colt McCoy) so at least one would have to be moved. Long story short, I ended up with a 3 team deal between the Redskins, Saints, and the Jets where all 3 teams end up with new Quarterbacks. Here it is:

DISCLAIMER: I can't determine the worth, draft pick-wise, of players to save my life, so bear with me

Redskins Acquire:

QB Drew Brees (Saints)

2015 1st Round pick (Saints, 13)

2015 4th Round pick (Saints, 146)

CB Dee Milliner (Jets)

2015 7th Round pick (Jets, 198)

Saints Acquire:

2015 1st Round pick (Redskins, 5)

2015 2nd Round pick (Redskins, 38)

2016 3rd Round pick (Redskins, TBD)

RT Tyler Polumbus (Redskins)

2016 5th Round pick (Jets, TBD)

Jets Acquire:

QB Robert Griffin III (Redskins)

2015 5th Round pick (Redskins)

2016 4th Round pick (Saints, TBD)

In regards to the players involved:

Drew Brees is a great fit in Washington and could very well be mentors to Kirk Cousins and Colt McCoy. This could (possibly) delay Cousins' request to be traded for a year or two. DeSean Jackson, Pierre Garcon and Jordan Reed could benefit extremely from Brees.

Robert Griffin III is a quarterback who quite possibly needs a change of scenery. Yes, he has battled injuries, but landing on the Jets he has a better shot at beating out Geno Smith and Ryan Fitzpatrick for the starting job rather than an all star in Drew Brees.

There is no secret the Redskins secondary flat out sucks. They have added cornerback Chris Culliver and safety Jeron Johnson to compete in the secondary where they have good shots and potentially starting and Milliner would be a great addition to the mix. Not to mention, Milliner has been linked to trade rumors involving the Jets trading for a quarterback. Well, RG3 just may be that QB he gets moved for.

And finally, Tyler Polumbus. I'm not even going to lie, he flat out sucks, can't do anything right, and frankly I hate him. The Redskins can definitely get a better RT through the draft.

Sorry for writing a book everyone

You're drunk if you think this ever had a chance.

As long as the Saints have Brees and Sean Payton, they feel their window of winning is still open...especially considering the state of the NFC South. So to acquire Brees, the Redskins would have to toss a big package to the Saints...one with a bunch of draft picks. Not trading 1st's (with the Saints moving up just eight spots) and a 2nd & future 3rd for a 4th...that's not much of a haul. The Saints, thinking both "We'll need a couple years to get ready for another run" and "Let's get our awful financial situation cleaned up now", will be asking for WSH's 1st for 2015, 2016, and maybe 2017....2nd's for 2015 and 2017...and a couple of 3rd's between 2015-2017.

The Saints' cap situation can't be stressed enough....it's in bad shape. They need cost-controlled players (in the form of draft picks) and players under cheap multi-year deals. They know the end of the Brees Era is coming soon, so they're needing to phase in these younger, cheaper players sooner than later.

Why would the Redskins trade multiple 1st round draft picks to move down in the draft? if anything it would be a reverse of the 2012 RG3 trade. Saints would give up Brees, who in himself i belive is worth at least 1 or 2 1st round picks, another first round pick and a second round.

Why would the Redskins trade multiple 1st round draft picks to move down in the draft? if anything it would be a reverse of the 2012 RG3 trade. Saints would give up Brees, who in himself i belive is worth at least 1 or 2 1st round picks, another first round pick and a second round.

My scenario has the Saints keeping all their picks. Like I said, the Saints are in a bad salary cap situation. They not only need to shed money, they also need cost-controlled players (such as draft picks) while they get themselves out of cap hell.

If they trade Brees, especially between now and next month's draft, they'll want to shorten the amount of time it'll take to rebuild and become solvent again. That happens by keeping all your draft picks and acquiring other big draft picks...not exchanging picks. The lone exception would be the Saints having two 1st's to trade to a team for their high-up 1st in order to draft a QB like Mariotta.

The Redskins' first round pick, a player normally deemed to step in right away and be a big contributor, would essentially be Brees. The Redskins aren't getting Brees and keeping the 13th pick. That just isn't happening. Keep on dreaming.

Why would a team with a higher draft pick give up that pick, and multiple future 1st round picks to a team who is 8 spots lower than them. Yes it would be for Brees, but it's awfully one sided. I don't see how or why you think a team should give up more to move down.

So what are the odds Kelly moves all in with Bradford & co. for a Mariota pick?

Buzz seems to be returning on that. Though that's probably due to NFL echo of nothingness since free agency blitz... talking heads gonna talk.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Why would a team with a higher draft pick give up that pick, and multiple future 1st round picks to a team who is 8 spots lower than them. Yes it would be for Brees, but it's awfully one sided. I don't see how or why you think a team should give up more to move down.

Because the Saints aren't going to part with Brees unless they're blown away by a huge offer. That's why the trade is going to have to be one-sided.

The Saints still feel they're in their window-of-championship-opportunity. Other than shedding money and speeding up their rebuild process, they have no reason to get rid of Brees.

If the Redskins felt their missing piece is a QB, they would have to pay a big price to a team not looking to get rid of a guy.

Appears that the NFL will not have any blackouts for the 2015 season as a "tryout" year.

There is also apparently going to be a "concussion spotter" role. I have no idea how it works.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

This is one thing I've never understood...

How does a team qualify for a compensatory draft pick?

In addition to the 32 selections in each of the seven rounds, a total of 32 compensatory picks are awarded to teams that have lost more or better compensatory free agents than they signed in the previous year.[59] Teams that gain and lose the same number of players but lose higher-valued players than they gain also can be awarded a pick, but only in the seventh round, after the other compensatory picks. Compensatory picks cannot be traded, and the placement of the picks is determined by a proprietary formula based on the player's salary, playing time, and postseason honors with his new team, with salary being the primary factor. So, for example, a team that lost a linebacker who signed for $2.5 million per year in free agency might get a sixth-round compensatory pick, while a team that lost a wide receiver who signed for $5 million per year might receive a fourth-round pick.

All compensatory picks are awarded at the ends of Rounds 3 through 7.

If fewer than 32 such picks are awarded, the remaining picks are awarded in the order in which teams would pick in a hypothetical eighth round of the draft (These are known as "supplemental compensatory selections").

Compensatory picks are awarded each year at the NFL annual meeting which is held at the end of March; typically, about three or four weeks before the draft.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Welp, Jason La Canfora is reporting that the sale of the Tennessee Titans is close. He also goes on to say don't rule out the possibility of Jimmy Haslam trading ownership rights of the Browns for the Titans. La Canfora goes over the value of the franchise, contract situations, toxic assets, etc.

Source

I know you guys hate it... but this is certainly feels like an "only in Cleveland" moment.

Appears that the NFL will not have any blackouts for the 2015 season as a "tryout" year.

Only one team voted against abolishing the blackout rule. Guess who that was!!!!!

I think the NFL is becoming aware of the image factor regarding blackouts. One of the biggest things I kept hearing during the Vikings stadium debate was "people in my county are going to have to pay a sales tax for a stadium they cannot afford to go to and then, given the ticket cost, they won't even be able to watch on TV." It's really kinda disgusting when you think about it.

There was even a little chatter about telling the league that the deal was contingent on no blackouts...I wish that would have gained more momentum...I'd love to have seen the NFL have to turn that deal down (at least I assume they would have).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

✔ @ProFootballTalkJets have filed tampering charges against Patriots based on Robert Kraft's Monday comments about Darrelle Revis, per league source.

In December, Jets owner Woody Johnson publicly expressed interest in bringing back cornerback Darrelle Revis, who at the time was under contract with the Patriots. The Patriots later filed tampering charges against the Jets.

On Monday, Patriots owner Robert Kraft spoke about the departure of Revis for the Jets. The next day, the Jets filed tampering charges against the Patriots.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/24/jets-file-tampering-charges-against-patriots-over-revis-remarks/

LOVE LOVE LOVE IT.Fighting the Patriots petty nonsense with their own petty nonsense. Hilarious move Woody Johnson.

Unfortuntley Roger Goodell will likely punnish Johnson for besmershing his puppet master, bff Robert Kraft and th New England Patriots pure as snow can do no wrong in Goody Two shoes mind.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived