2015 NFL Offseason

CS85

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This guy is a boob and a half. It never stops. I advise any remaining Bears fans to stop being Bears fans.

Sounds like you just need to retire from the NFL. You clearly despise the league and team equally.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Yes, that is correct, but it's largely born of the learned helplessness that attended being a Bears fan.

It just bothers me is all. I'm no stranger to pessimism and this franchise deserves all the cynical analysis in the world, but to call this guy a boob after 1 press conference (which I thought went rather well, for what it's worth) and declare the world over seems very rash. Am I happy that the ownership and team president are the same? Not at all, but that's how it is. If you feel an obligation to repudiate every move done by this franchise that you're clearly done with, I would say you're better off not commenting about them at all.

I can only take so much pessimism and cynicism about Chicago sports. Every time I feel good about anything regarding the Bears or Cubs, I get the perception from other alleged Chicago sports fans that I am drinking from the well of stupid for investing anything in these teams, like fandom is some sort of stock exchange. It's exhausting.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

He still reports to Ted, and Ted and George are going to help him pick a head coach. I don't think that went well at all. I'll check back in when the McCaskeys and their oily Tom Hagen are finally gone.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

He still reports to Ted, and Ted and George are going to help him pick a head coach. I don't think that went well at all. I'll check back in when the McCaskeys and their oily Tom Hagen are finally gone.

If that means admiral doesn't comment on the Bears for half a decade, I can live w/ that.

twitter

He said that Ted oversees him, but he has final say over coaching and player decisions. He's a young (37) guy who is viewed as an up-and-comer. He turned down two interviews last year. I don't think he would have desperately jumped to the Bears if he thought he might have an accountant ordering him to take the tackle out of Boise.

Admiral, I was reminded recently of how refreshing your pessimism as a Cubs fan is. I was talking about baseball with a Cubs fan who insisted that Theo had accomplished great things with the Cubs, because his goal was to make the best farm system in baseball. Rick Hahn, meanwhile, accomplished nothing yet due to the Sox farm being mid-range, despite the fact that he cheaply extended two of the top lefties in baseball, traded for an excellent leadoff hitter, traded for a 1/2 pitcher this offseason and signed a top 5 hitter last season. With you, I'm somehow the one defending Theo! Regardless, most of us Bears fans are pessimistic, so your services aren't as needed.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

He said that Ted oversees him, but he has final say over coaching and player decisions. He's a young (37) guy who is viewed as an up-and-comer. He turned down two interviews last year. I don't think he would have desperately jumped to the Bears if he thought he might have an accountant ordering him to take the tackle out of Boise.

Admiral, I was reminded recently of how refreshing your pessimism as a Cubs fan is. I was talking about baseball with a Cubs fan who insisted that Theo had accomplished great things with the Cubs, because his goal was to make the best farm system in baseball. Rick Hahn, meanwhile, accomplished nothing yet due to the Sox farm being mid-range, despite the fact that he cheaply extended two of the top lefties in baseball, traded for an excellent leadoff hitter, traded for a 1/2 pitcher this offseason and signed a top 5 hitter last season. With you, I'm somehow the one defending Theo! Regardless, most of us Bears fans are pessimistic, so your services aren't as needed.

Pessimism is a wonderful balance when all signs point to irrational hope, or unrealistic goals, but it becomes a tiresome dance when it seems like it's your only ammunition.

twitter

Yeah. Nothing in the press conference told us if Pace is going to architect four Super Bowl winners or end up fired in four years. He said the right things. He said that he has full control. That's about all you can go off of until he has a track record. From what I've seen, lots of people are going to hate any hire the McCaskeys make just because they're the McCaskeys (and they've previously made some bad hires). If anyone heard that press conference and is either: 1) clearing space for new Super Bowl memorabilia; or 2) waxing about a failed hire and the hopelessness of being a Bears fan and knowing that they'll never win again, they were listening to hear what they wanted to hear.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

CS85 complaining about someone else's pessimism has put us completely through the looking glass.

If I were a Bears fan I wouldn't be too upset. The team has been good recently and remains an attractive market for free agents and coaches. They haven't won a title in 30 years, but neither has half the league.

Chicago sports fans can kind of be the worst because all things being equal, things really aren't that bad. The Cubs are bad but relevant, the Blackhawks are good, the Bulls are good, the Sox won a title recently (though I yet why that doesn't count) and the Bears had a season from hell but are making changes. It'll be ok.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Yeah. Nothing in the press conference told us if Pace is going to architect four Super Bowl winners or end up fired in four years. He said the right things. He said that he has full control. That's about all you can go off of until he has a track record. From what I've seen, lots of people are going to hate any hire the McCaskeys make just because they're the McCaskeys (and they've previously made some bad hires). If anyone heard that press conference and is either: 1) clearing space for new Super Bowl memorabilia; or 2) waxing about a failed hire and the hopelessness of being a Bears fan and knowing that they'll never win again, they were listening to hear what they wanted to hear.

Or not listening at all. Admiral:

1. Immediately wrote him off since he was hired by admittedly frustrating dopes in Bears ownership
  2. Deemed him a boob, as he spoke fairly in-eloquently with the dull-eyed, lip-licking demeanor of a former college football lineman, which he is, despite the fact those having nothing at all to do with how good of a job he could do
  3. Felt obligated to chime in, since he is Chicago Sports Guy™ and wanted to remind everyone that the Bears are a doomed, awful franchise

CS85 complaining about someone else's pessimism has put us completely through the looking glass.

It sucks. Admiral's a better poster than this, but he drives me away from this board more often than not these days.

twitter

You know what I think would be the smart thing for the Browns to do (they won't do this, but they should)?

Cut him. Both him AND Josh Gordon. Eat whatever cap hit they'll eat...but just rid themselves of the problem children NOW.

Sure it may be an unpopular move, especially in Manziel's case...but if this organization is really serious about trying to turn over a new leaf, they can start by kicking those two out the door and in turn send a message that all that extra mess will no longer be tolerated. At all.

But of course that won't happen because...it just won't happen. (At least not with Manziel, anyway. Gordon on the other hand...slightly more plausible, but still most likely won't happen.)

I agree with you. What do the Browns get by having Manziel on their team? Nothing but trouble, headaches, and terrible play so far. They certainly aren't getting a solid NFL starting quarterback. If Jerry Jones was able to resist taking him that tells you what the league thinks of this kid.

I've said this before - Manziel is Today's Brian Bosworth. Loads of hype, big mouth, good college career, can't play in the pros. The difference is Bosworth wasn't that bad at the NFL level. Injuries cut his career short. I don't think Manziel will even get that much of a shot. And it is great.

And to think the Browns could have stayed put in last year's draft and ended up with Sammy Watkins and Teddy Bridgewater.

Buying Packers stock was the smartest move I've ever made as a sports fan.

Well, to be completely fair, the kid has played in ONE game. I think it's a bit early and really reactionary (standard in ESPN style coverage of the NFL these days, though) to call him a bust at this point.

I'm not saying he isn't gonna be a bust, but jeez. Let's stop the chicken little act already.

My point was simply that the Browns could have ended up with two pretty good prospects instead of rolling the dice on Manziel. There were just as many (if not more) "experts" saying Manziel was not an NFL caliber QB as there were saying he was. You act like people are giving up on a guy who was touted as the next Andrew Luck or something. All that aside, you really think the Browns would be worse off right now with Watkins and Bridgewater?

Also, you want to talk about the "ESPN effect?" Manziel was hyped to high heaven before the draft. And apparently, it worked on you.

In what way did it "work" on him?

Top 5 defense 10 out of his 11 years in Pittsburgh... get rid of the bum!

I have a bad feeling the Bills will make Jim Schwartz their new head coach, so they could bring back LeBeau as DC.

I have a bad feeling the Bills will make Jim Schwartz their new head coach, so they could bring back LeBeau as DC.

Schefter has reported we've hired Rex Ryan instead. I don't like this.

spacer.png

I like Rex Ryan, but I'm a little worried because it seems like we're set up for the same thing that didn't work during his Jets tenure: no QB, but a good defense. He still made it pretty fat into the playoffs; I'll take that. At least the press conferences will be fun. His OC choice will be very important.

That bad feeling is warranted.

The only thing I don't like about Rex Ryan to the Bills is that it looks like the rumors of Rex wanting Trestman to be his OC aren't true. That relationship would have been hilarious to watch.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Sexy Rexy doesn't feel like a retread hire just yet. Hopefully he keeps Schwartz at DC and makes EJ feel like a good person.

New York felt like it turned toxic; hopefully being somewhere he's wanted keeps him productive. Maybe there's a third round QB out there too.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived