If I Were in Charge of NFL Uniforms (Redesign/Tweaks for All 32 Teams)

WESPN

Okay so this redesign isn’t really a redesign. Well, some are but not all. Basically what I wanted to do was to attempt to make as perfect an NFL as possible in terms of uniform design. I realize that “perfect” is a relative term, so this is what I would do if I were in charge of uniform design. So here’s some criteria that I used for tweaking the NFL.

1. If it’s not broke, try not to fix it.

2. Each team will have a home, road, and alternate uniform (Alternate unis may be used for either)

3. Only redesign when a redesign is warranted.

4. Keep it simple, traditional, and clean.

5. Remain true to the brands of the teams.

6. Reference the past in the present when warranted.

So without further adieu, here’s the redesigns that aren’t always redesigns by division. NFC first because I like it better.

Bears – The Bears didn’t need a lot of work. The numbers on the home uniforms go to orange to reflect the old school uniforms, and the wordmark is the same one featured on Mike Ditka’s trademark sweater vest. The orange alternate jersey makes a return.

Bears_1.jpg

Lions – The use of black was eliminated from these designs. I attempted to combine the modern era uniforms with the Barry Sanders era uniforms. A new grey alternate jersey is debuted.

Lions.jpg

Packers – Another team with near-flawless uniforms. I stayed true to the Packers current design with a couple of minor tweaks. The wordmark was added to the chest of the jerseys and a white-on-white set was added as a road alternate.

Packers.jpg

Vikings – This set was inspired by the Cris Carter era road uniforms with the UCLA striping. The design is essentially the same for the road uniform, but the pattern is repeated on the home uniform and the current font is utilized.

Vikings.jpg

Up Next...NFC South

Buccaneers – One of the few teams that received an overhaul. Most of agree that the current Bucs uniforms are an eyesore. This set attempts to combine the modern qualities of the current set with the Super Bowl era and the creamsicle era; a catch-all if you will. The most notable changes are the elimination of pewter from the color scheme and the return of the white helmet. The home uniform is red while the road uniform is a clean mono-white. The alternate features the return of the creamsicle jerseys. The awful alarm clock font has be replaced with a more legible yet still tough looking font.

Buccaneers.jpg

Falcons – The Falcons set features some fairly significant changes. The helmet switches to red in reference to the throwback alternate they currently wear, while the home set reverts back to the black, inspired by the throwback uniform and their Super Bowl era uniforms. The pattern of the logo’s wings are repeated on the shoulder stripes.

Falcons.jpg

Panthers – The Panthers set has been simplified. Silver is gone from the design as the helmet is now black with the blue from the logo creating a minimalistic helmet.

Panthers.jpg

Saints – The Saints new look harkens back to the Archie Manning era. They feature a modern twist, though, in the font change and also feature a gold alternate jersey.

Saints.jpg

Up next....NFC East

Cowboys – The Cowboys didn’t need a ton of work. First of all, the silver/grey has been unified so that it’s the same color across each uniform. The look throws back to the 90s Super Bowl teams, and a grey alternate was added.

Cowboys.jpg

Eagles – The most radical change is a return to the kelly green of yesteryear. To stay current, though, the modern font was retained. The wings logo is also repeated on the shoulders to maintain a modern feel.

Eagles.jpg

Giants – One thing that really bothers me about the Giants uniform is that the template for home and road are too different. These uniforms solve that issue by throwing back to the Phil Simms era. The Giants wordmark returns to the helmets and white replaces grey. Red pants are introduced for an alternate look.

Giants.jpg

Redskins – Some of my favorite uniforms of all time are the throwbacks that were worn during Steve Spurrier’s first year as coach, so I went back to that set as the pattern for these jerseys. A gold alternate jersey was added to complete the set.

Redskins.jpg

Up next...NFC West

Cardinals – I almost re-did these because I wasn’t entirely happy with it originally. After letting it sit for a few weeks, though, I came back to it and liked it much better. The back of a cardinal’s head inspires the curvature of the sleeve shape. Not much else to add.

Cardinals.jpg\

49ers – San Fran didn’t need much tinkering. The only thing I added was some gold to the striping and a mono-gold alternate uniform. After all, that’s what 1849 was all about right?

49ers.jpg

Rams – A combination of old and new. The gold color reverts back to the classic yellow while the modern navy shade of blue remains.

Rams.jpg\

Seahawks – I’m one of the few who think the Seahawks current set is hideous, so these uniforms combine the colors of the modern era (which I love by the way) with a more traditional uniform template. The retina-burning green alternate jerseys return. Why? Because they’re just so much fun!

Seahawks.jpg

Up next....AFC North

Bengals – What color are Bengal tigers? Orange. So why is the current primary home uniform black? This set fixes that as the orange uniforms become the home set and the black jersey is relegated to an every-so-often uniform.

Bengals.jpg

Browns – The Browns get a slight tweak with the modernization of the sleeve stripes, which have a bit of an angle to them. The helmet reflects the “new” logo and the alternate is the same brown on brown that everybody else seems to hate. The jersey font now reflects the new Browns font.

Browns.jpg

Ravens – Again, not much to fix with Baltimore. Pretty much left them as they are.

Ravens.jpg

Steelers – Added some grey because how can you have a team called the Steelers without using a color that represents steel? A brand new yellow alternate jersey is added.

Steelers.jpg

Up next...AFC South

Colts – They didn’t need much change, but I did nonetheless. The only true change is a switch from a white helmet to a blue helmet, which allows for a nicer blue on white on blue road uniform.

Colts.jpg

Jaguars – Like Seattle and Tampa I wanted to completely redesign their uniforms while still remaining true to the modern brand. The black helmet is used to reference the modern era as well as the current font. The home uniform reverts back to teal in reference to the Mark Brunell era. The stripes on the jersey harken to the current set and the font but are better executed now (in my opinion). The black jersey is the alternate.

Jaguars.jpg

Texans – The biggest change to Houston’s uniforms is the striping. The sleeve stripes run behind a lone star with one side of the stripe being a different color from the other side to reflect the Texans logo. The striping on the pants reflects the state flag of Texas.

Texans.jpg

Titans – I removed the awful shoulder coloring of the former set and replaced it with vertical striping on the sleeves. The home and road uniforms pay homage to the Oilers while the alternate honors the Super Bowl era set.

Titans.jpg

Up next...AFC East

Bills – The Bills didn’t really need to change, but because of the way I designed New England they were too similar to remain the same. Instead, I took the line coming from the Buffalo’s horn in the logo and repeated it on the jersey, using it to frame the word mark.

Bills.jpg

Dolphins – These might be my favorite uniforms. These uniforms combine past and present. The modern numbers and colors are used in a design that was used by the 1972 team and Dan Marino. The home set is white on white, the road uniform returns to white on aqua, and the aqua jersey is used for prime time games.

Dolphins.jpg

Jets – The Jets didn’t need to change much. The only major change was the return of the kelly green color scheme.

Jets.jpg

Patriots – What colors should a team called the Patriots be? Why red, white, and blue of course! These uniforms are classic with a modern twist by keeping the current number font. A red alternate debuts as homage to the 1980s throwbacks.

Patriots.jpg

Up Next...AFC West

Broncos – Denver was a tricky one. Orange crush unis were a must. I went back to the old AFL jerseys as inspiration and ditched the navy blue for the classic Elway royal blue.

Broncos.jpg

Chargers – I changed almost nothing on San Diego’s unis. The powder blues become the primary home jerseys while the road jerseys are a clean mono-white. The stripes on the pants have been simplified because I couldn’t draw them well enough with the pen tool.

Chargers.jpg

Chiefs – I got rid of any and all black. Everything else is basically the same.

Chiefs.jpg

Raiders – Changed the font, added an all silver alternate.

Raiders.jpg

That's all folks!

Wow. How do you put them up so quickly

I had all my text done ahead of time in word and images uploaded to Photobucket so I just copied and pasted it all in. I wanted to have them all done ahead of time instead of revealing one at at time.

I love what you did with the Giants! I grew up watching the Giants helmet with the wordmark on the sides so that has always had a soft spot in my heart. I am also not a fan that the Giants home and away jerseys are so different. So making them coincide with each other was a great improvement by you. My favorite though is the Rams. I love that yellow with the dark blue. Good choice. Overall I cant really say there is a team where you missed the mark. They were all pretty well executed!

imperialssignature_by_officerpain138-dc2

Bengals – What color are Bengal tigers? Orange. So why is the current primary home uniform black? This set fixes that as the orange uniforms become the home set and the black jersey is relegated to an every-so-often uniform.

Bengals.jpg

Browns – The Browns get a slight tweak with the modernization of the sleeve stripes, which have a bit of an angle to them. The helmet reflects the “new” logo and the alternate is the same brown on brown that everybody else seems to hate. The jersey font now reflects the new Browns font.

Browns.jpg

Ravens – Again, not much to fix with Baltimore. Pretty much left them as they are.

Ravens.jpg

Steelers – Added some grey because how can you have a team called the Steelers without using a color that represents steel? A brand new yellow alternate jersey is added.

Steelers.jpg

Up next...AFC South

Aaaaagh! How did you not get rid of the hideous white side paneling on the Bengals' color jerseys? Thanks for getting rid of the drop shadow on the numbers, though.

Archived