Teams that have looked terrible for their entire history

damnyoutuesday

Philadelphia Union. That awful brown? gold? stripe down the middle is terrible, not to mention the lovely Bimbo advertisement that they have had their entire history.union-vs-new-england-revolution-lmn-1060

Do anyone one with a shred of dignity ever wear that jersey?

Yeah... I do, and have worn mine ever since the Union's very first home opener back in 2010. It's actually one of my favorite jerseys. And some of us are mature enough to understand that Bimbo Bakeries (pronounced BEEM-bo, by the way) is the United States' largest bakery, and not automatically associate the word with the female pejorative.

And yes--my dignity is fully intact. B)

I was talking more about the fact that when you wear that uniform, you're just a walking billboard, paying over 100$ to where some bakery's logo is quite ridiculous...

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Philadelphia Union. That awful brown? gold? stripe down the middle is terrible, not to mention the lovely Bimbo advertisement that they have had their entire history.

Yeah... I do, and have worn mine ever since the Union's very first home opener back in 2010. It's actually one of my favorite jerseys. And some of us are mature enough to understand that Bimbo Bakeries (pronounced BEEM-bo, by the way) is the United States' largest bakery, and not automatically associate the word with the female pejorative.

I was talking more about the fact that when you wear that uniform, you're just a walking billboard, paying over 100$ to where some bakery's logo is quite ridiculous...

Preface: I tend to agree with you. I REALLY, REALLY hope we don't go to corporate ads on the big 4 (though it's probably a matter of time).

But to play devil's advocate, you could argue that wearing "Denver Nuggets" gear is doing the same thing. They are a business too. OK, it's not really the same, but if a Nuggets fan wants to represent the team with a jersey, then a fan of (whatever team that is with the Bimbo jersey) would wear that to do the same. I don't blame the fans that do that...even if it means the bad guys won (i.e. because good money is spend AND the sponsor gets free advertising on your chest).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The Ottawa Senators. And going to the big ol' zero would not be an upgrade.

Z1htCUy.jpg

Everything else they've worn has been trash, but those thirds were fantastic.

And no love for these?

Senators04.png

And I know it's not a popular opinion to make it the full time sweaters, but do most people hate the heritage third now? I remember a lot of people liking it.

This is without a doubt their worst looks in franchise history:

Houston Rockets:

content12_80steamReid.jpg

72503394_display_image.jpg

Tracy-McGrady.jpg

The first photo is the best of the outfits from the 1970s until 1995 which is not saying much. Those bland red jerseys don't make me too exciting for my taste. The second one (1995-2003) screams "90s" and the angry cartoonish rocket looks downright ugly. Putting those thick pinstripes makes its even look worse. Finally, last but not least the current Rockets jerseys are a J-O-K-E. Of course this is Adidas (previously Reebok's) doing, and that alone makes them look downright terrible, I wouldn't buy them for a penny if they were on sale for that much. Hopefully, Nike or UA gets the new apparel deal because if anybody needs a massive overhaul it is the Rockets. Wake me up when they finally make jerseys that I will actually like.

The Ottawa Senators. And going to the big ol' zero would not be an upgrade.

Z1htCUy.jpg

Everything else they've worn has been trash, but those thirds were fantastic.

And no love for these?

Senators04.png

That's honestly one of my favorite hockey sets of all time. Probably top five, maybe even top three. There wasn't a thing I'd have changed on that set. I remember being really upset (even as a kid!) when they starting phasing out that black jersey in favor of that gosh-awful red alternate. That was the beginning of the identity freefall for Ottawa.

I mentioned in another thread that the Padres are probably my winner for top "nailed it the first time but crapped it all away" team in sports. To be honest, Ottawa isn't too far behind.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Tracy-McGrady.jpg

the current Rockets jerseys are a J-O-K-E. Of course this is Adidas (previously Reebok's) doing, and that alone makes them look downright terrible, I wouldn't buy them for a penny if they were on sale for that much. Hopefully, Nike or UA gets the new apparel deal because if anybody needs a massive overhaul it is the Rockets. Wake me up when they finally make jerseys that I will actually like.

Skip to my lou, T-Mac, and Yao, what a cast of characters. Honestly, I always liked this look for them as long as they had Yao. It didn't make any sense for them to keep it after he retired though. I bet Mitchell & Ness can't wait to cash in on these in the Chinese market once they get replaced.

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

Philadelphia Union. That awful brown? gold? stripe down the middle is terrible, not to mention the lovely Bimbo advertisement that they have had their entire history.union-vs-new-england-revolution-lmn-1060

Preface: I tend to agree with you. I REALLY, REALLY hope we don't go to corporate ads on the big 4 (though it's probably a matter of time).

But to play devil's advocate, you could argue that wearing "Denver Nuggets" gear is doing the same thing. They are a business too. OK, it's not really the same, but if a Nuggets fan wants to represent the team with a jersey, then a fan of (whatever team that is with the Bimbo jersey) would wear that to do the same. I don't blame the fans that do that...even if it means the bad guys won (i.e. because good money is spend AND the sponsor gets free advertising on your chest).

The thing is a fan wants to represent their team. Wearing something with the brand of your favorite sports teams's logo is fine because it's pride thing, you LIKE that business and want to show support for them.

But wearing a random ad just looks goofy, and further supports the further corporization of our society. I feel bad for fans of teams with uni ads, but I still strongly disagree with their decision to support it by wearing merch. It just shows the team that fans are willing to buy up any crap as long as it's associated with the team.

I mean at least wearing something with an ad for, say a car brand or electronics company your a fan of isn't completely ridiculous looking (though I still don't support it), but a bakery with a stupid name? C'mon man!

I am a fan of the Union. I picked up their first shirt ever which did not have the sponsor on it. I cannot seem to get behind buying a new shirt. Beyond the "wearing bimbo on your chest" thing, I think the Bimbo logo looks terrible with the Union's color scheme. I have a fee Chelsea shirts and I love the way the Samsung logo looks on it. I think that Yokohama will look good on it too. So I think that its basically up to the way that the sponsor logo looks.

Angels. Not sorry.

Not that they've had the worst looks ever (Besides that Disney set), it's just that none of their looks have ever stood out as "great" or even "pretty good." When they're not draped in red, they look like "Red Sox West." (Look at their old fonts and colors and tell me otherwise)

Agreed. I think their current look may be the best they've had. The others are just too generic, Disney era aside.

Vancouver Canucks

Their Blue & Green scheme is bearable but don't ever forget their various atrocities from 1980-2007

vancouver-canucks-linden-cloutier.jpg

I'll be the first to admit the Canucks have had their fair share of abominable jerseys, but never had a good look? Come on. They have the best colours in the league and the striping looks great. They have an awful logo, but overall its a pretty good uniform.

Thank you. The 1997-2007 jerseys were also pretty sharp in their own way.

Vancouver Canucks

Their Blue & Green scheme is bearable but don't ever forget their various atrocities from 1980-2007

I'll be the first to admit the Canucks have had their fair share of abominable jerseys, but never had a good look? Come on. They have the best colours in the league and the striping looks great. They have an awful logo, but overall its a pretty good uniform.

They weren't bad jerseys, but the current ones blow them out of the water. I was also naturally biased against them because the last thing I wanted was for the Canucks to be yet another blue and red team.

Oklahoma City Thunder, no question.

Granted the logo is so awful that to this day I literally struggle to believe someone was paid actual money to produce that thing, but there's nothing wrong with the Thunder's home and road uniforms.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

Vancouver Canucks

They were definitely the Canucks' best-executed set. The orca is the only good logo the team's ever had (Yes, it's a good logo. Canadians are insane.) and it works better with the double blue and red than the blue and green, even though blue and green is the better looking color scheme. Plus no stupid arched wordmark.

kyle-purple-756.jpg?itok=pmU0mPg-

Toronto-Raptors-Uniform-History.jpg

Whether its having ugly purple jersey, ESPECIALLY since they were the first team to do the different color on the back of the jersey then they had blazer wannabe colors for the past decade.

And what they are gonna have next year seems like it will just continue their trend if having lousy uniforms.

Oklahoma City Thunder, no question.

Granted the logo is so awful that to this day I literally struggle to believe someone was paid actual money to produce that thing, but there's nothing wrong with the Thunder's home and road uniforms.

I don't think the Thunder look "terrible" (and I agree that their logo is terrible).

I think there is something wrong with their road uniform, though:

OKLAHOMA

CITY

While I tend to prefer city names to state names (despite being from Minnesota), I think a state name would have worked here...the jersey now is kinda clunky. "Oklahoma" would look better. I also think "Oklahoma Thunder" sounds better than "Oklahoma City Thunder", which combined with the fact that it's the only big-time pro team in the state, makes the state name work.

Anyway, I definitely don't think the Thunder have looked terrible. The home uniform is nice if unspectacular and the road one is flawed but serviceable. I'd support them, given their name, just using "Thunder" on both.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Whether its having ugly purple jersey, ESPECIALLY since they were the first team to do the different color on the back of the jersey then they had blazer wannabe colors for the past decade.

And what they are gonna have next year seems like it will just continue their trend if having lousy uniforms.

Have to disagree here.

As a 90s kid I have a love for the big dinosaur logo that's hated by many. The half purple/half black jersey is one of my favorite NBA jerseys of all time and the homes and red alts from that era were nice too. I hated when they dropped purple in 08(?).

I agree about the upcoming uniforms. I am not looking forward to them and they're off to a bad start with the new logo.

Have to disagree here.

As a 90s kid I have a love for the big dinosaur logo that's hated by many. The half purple/half black jersey is one of my favorite NBA jerseys of all time and the homes and red alts from that era were nice too. I hated when they dropped purple in 08(?).

I agree about the upcoming uniforms. I am not looking forward to them and they're off to a bad start with the new logo.

Also the reason for the red and black are not Blazer wannabees, but rather a Canadian identity with red, white, and black being Canada's sporting colours.

Ido like the purble and honestly anything besides the split.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Archived