Design TCU's Basketball Court

29texan

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TCU's Athletic Director stated today that so far 30 submissions have been received and he's been impressed with the few he's looked at already. Good job guys.

Only 30? I would have thought it would have been a few hundred.

JeKhnr9.png

Great work yall. Enjoyed the thread.

Just a comment, for what (little) it's worth from a season ticket holder (yes, I've seen lots of losses):

The arena is pretty dark the way the dome is raised/painted and how the lighting is situated. I'm not sure what kind of lighting changes are coming, but with the floor going down 6 feet, the lights may be even further from the court than they are now. I think a very light floor will brighten up and energize the place. The color/stain or SMU's floor is what I'm thinking.

As a TCU alum, I'll also pass on that the university won't brand anything "Texas Christian" --- it's "TCU" all the way. I'd also guess that the Athletics department will prefer not to use the Frog logo in the floor design.

gdu---Good catch on the "Walsh" in the rendering. Not surprising they were major donors tongue project considering their prior gifts to the physical performance center and AGCS end zone facility.

The basketball stadium will be named after Ed and Rae Schollmaier, they committed the first $10m for fundraising. Now to me, it sounds like "Daniel-Meyer Coliseum" will be no longer in it may be something like "Schollmaier Arena" or "Schollmaier Coliseum". Now it's not clear if the court itself will also be named after that or if it may be Walsh. Walsh donated a lot of money to the facilities that are shared directly between basketball and football (links the two stadiums) but Schollmaier also already donated $5m for the basketball practice facility previously. Might reach out to Del Conte for clarification.

That being said though, I'd be cautious in using "Daniel Meyer Coliseum" on your design.

TCU's Athletic Director stated today that so far 30 submissions have been received and he's been impressed with the few he's looked at already. Good job guys.

Honestly, I'm not surprised.

I'd be wiling to bet that MOST of you wouldn't know anything about this until I posted.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

I'd be wiling to bet that MOST of you wouldn't know anything about this until I posted.

this is true

The basketball stadium will be named after Ed and Rae Schollmaier, they committed the first $10m for fundraising. Now to me, it sounds like "Daniel-Meyer Coliseum" will be no longer in it may be something like "Schollmaier Arena" or "Schollmaier Coliseum". Now it's not clear if the court itself will also be named after that or if it may be Walsh. Walsh donated a lot of money to the facilities that are shared directly between basketball and football (links the two stadiums) but Schollmaier also already donated $5m for the basketball practice facility previously. Might reach out to Del Conte for clarification.

That being said though, I'd be cautious in using "Daniel Meyer Coliseum" on your design.

I'm now glad I didn't. I was very tempted to put down "FROGS COURT at The DMC".

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png

Yeah, I wouldn't have known but the DFW area isn't small. I would have thought this would get a good amount of attention with students at TCU.

JeKhnr9.png

Wow--this is shocking, if true. TCU has continued to use DMC throughout the fundraising and building process and has made no indication that a new name was even a possibility. I figured they'd sell naming rights to the new courtside club, hall of fame, and office building, but I didn't think they'd change the name of the coliseum itself. That said, the name "Daniel-Meyer" was just assigned by the Trustees decades ago in honor of Milton Daniel and Dutch Meyer (legendary coach)--there was no money tied to the name. Anyways, sorry for derailing the thread.

hat so far 30 submissions have been received and he's been impressed with the few he's looked at already. Good job guys.

TCU's Athletic Director stated today t

Yeah, I wouldn't have known but the DFW area isn't small. I would have thought this would get a good amount of attention with students at TCU.

The DFW area isn't small... but TCU (it's students, living alumni, and even fanbase) IS. I think a lot of people outside of this area underestimate exactly how much TCU has to compete for attention just within the Metroplex alone. We have 3 other FBS level schools in this area, ya know.

Besides, I don't think this was intended for too many people to get involved and for good reason. The contest just started, but I wouldn't expect too large of a turnout.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png

Yeah it's very unclear what the plan is, I read that part in a Star Telegram article, but TCU's website and designs and such, always call it "the new DMC" so it's confusing, along with the court name.
I think the coolest part of the renovation is actually what they'll do outside the arena, making it more of a green are leading up to the basketball and football stadium opposed to parking lots, should look excellent.

Regarding only 30 entries, you have to remember how small TCU is, it's literally one of the smallest D1 schools in the nation and the only comparable sized schools that have athletic programs even close to TCU are Wake Forest, SMU and Vanderbilt. Also, TCU's basketball program has been bad, for many years. I attended just a few years ago and I would walk in at tip off, walk down to the first row (students could sit anywhere, there was no student section), and I would kick my feet over the railing and, honestly, my feet would be about 6 feet away from being in bounds right at the corner of the court. I heckled many coaches (could hear ever word spoken in that stadium at the time) from that seat. Obviously with the addition of the Big XII the support has increased and they are building a great program, but it's a tough journey for sure. With these facilities, being in the Big XII and Coach Trent Johnson, we should be able to keep some key DFW talent which would allow the program to really take off.

Thought I'd give this contest a try. Heres my idea. Let me know what you all think! 90a6tu.png

I submitted this design to TCU. Let me know what you guys thinkMthompsonTCUCourtSubmission_zpsowtum4pz.

I like 'em both.

They're a good mix of old school and modern.

(But as someone mentioned earlier, it's possible that it wont be "Daniel-Meyer Coliseum" anymore)

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png

Archived