Breaking Adidas confirms it will NOT renew its NBA contract

arcane

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, I'm guessing this pretty much hands the contract to Nike? UnderArmour will likely try for it, but outside of them, there's no more competition with Reebok not really existing. I'm pulling for the dark horse Champion to reclaim the NBA contract after building up its war chest selling reasonably priced shorts at Target.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Going out on top then. I don't think Adidas could top this work of art:

1000008133_601_600X.jpg

Not terrible looking, but the fact that it was homoginized over the entire league is awful.

Please bring back original warm-up gear, whoever wins this.

So, I'm guessing this pretty much hands the contract to Nike? UnderArmour will likely try for it, but outside of them, there's no more competition with Reebok not really existing. I'm pulling for the dark horse Champion to reclaim the NBA contract after building up its war chest selling reasonably priced shorts at Target.

I'm not sure if you're joking but champion is a subsidiary of hanes that has been positioned as a downmarket mass merchant/low price point brand for at least a decade. I don't even know if they even make uniforms anymore let alone have a marketing budget. I do miss their notre dame uniforms though as I think they were by far the best over the last 20 years.

Given that this is now a 2 horse race I could see nike coming in low (profit/roi over exposure) and being outbid by UA who really wants to cut into nike's 90% market share of the hoops market. The chinese angle is intriguing though.

Edit: I guess this explains where aid has found the cash for all of the recent ncaa contracts. Adidas seems to their US strategy about every 5 years or so I know they have a new US ceo so this may explain a lot of it. They really can't commit long term to basketball or american football for an extended period. Rbk acquisition has been an abject failure. Global football is about the only thing they have a real foothold in despite their massive scale.

I'm not sure if you're joking.

I am. But I also loved Champion jerseys across all sports. Their only fault was using their custom font on all replica football jerseys, but a great font it was! I also long for days when teams worked entirely with independent designers and just said "here you go" in handing their requirements to an apparel company, but they aren't coming back.

No matter who gets the contract, we're going to get an absurd amount of alternates. We're still going to have Los Panderers jerseys (a league initiative), St. Patrick's Day jerseys for a few teams, recycling jersey, handjob awareness jerseys, but we'll also get multiple sets for each team in Nike/AU designs that are meant to pay homage to something or other and won't at all be cash grabs designed to highlight their newest templates. The NBA has been a whore for a decade now. Arguably no league has been more protective of their uniform image than the NFL (aside from the whole sleeves thing), but even the NFL kicked around the idea of Nike-designed, Nike-centric alternates for each team. That's just where all sports are headed.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Going out on top then. I don't think Adidas could top this work of art:

1000008133_601_600X.jpg

Not terrible looking, but the fact that it was homoginized over the entire league is awful.

Please bring back original warm-up gear, whoever wins this.

Given Under Armour's and Nike's track records in the NCAA, I don't think it's gonna happen, no matter who wins:

Right, Adidas is a bit more egregious about it but who doesn't use templates? And I imagine that the league prefers it that way.

I'm not sure if you're joking.

I am. But I also loved Champion jerseys across all sports. Their only fault was using their custom font on all replica football jerseys, but a great font it was! I also long for days when teams worked entirely with independent designers and just said "here you go" in handing their requirements to an apparel company, but they aren't coming back.

No matter who gets the contract, we're going to get an absurd amount of alternates. We're still going to have Los Panderers jerseys (a league initiative), St. Patrick's Day jerseys for a few teams, recycling jersey, handjob awareness jersey, but we'll also get multiple sets for each team in Nike/AU designs that are meant to pay homage to something or other and won't at all be cash grabs designed to highlight their newest templates. The NBA has been a whore for a decade now. Arguably no league has been more protective of their uniform image than the NFL (aside from the whole sleeves thing), but even the NFL kicked around the idea of Nike-designed, Nike-centric alternates for each team. That's just where all sports are headed.

I agree with that statement especially HA alts. Won't somebody think of the handjobs?

Yeah. Because Nike and the other companies never tried to push their own "innovations".

If the sleeved jerseys sold, they'll carry forward into the new contraxt. If not, they won't. That's the only factor in play.

None of Nike's "innovations" in basketball have been as disruptive or as unpopular as the sleeved jerseys. The same goes for Under Armour.

Even if they sold well (which I highly doubt), no way Nike would continue the sleeved-jersey fad. That's an Adidas thing, not an NBA thing, as shown by how Adidas is forcing them down our throats in college too.

Hopefully with the switch to a new manufacturer, teams can start using custom collar designs and NOB fonts again instead of selecting from a predetermined list, and elements like the Grizzlies' inlined numbers and the Hawks' beveled numbers can be possible again.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I like the quote from the adidas rep that the company hasn't gotten the return on investment from the NBA contract that they expected, as if it was the league's fault.

Here's an idea, adidas: Look in the mirror. Stop putting out garbage products at retail that nobody wants. The sleeved jerseys have been roundly criticized from the get-go, and the swingman-level replicas have had a major drop in quality this year.

Archived