raysox's A-League

raysox

Only gripe is that Holden should be Newcastle' s sponsor. Other than that solid concept

Why in the world would Holden sponsor a random location such as Newcastle? They have factories in South Australia, Melbourne and Auckland I believe and their Headquarters is in Melbourne. So if Holden was ever to be a sponsor, it would be either the whole league or a team in Melbourne or around it.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only gripe is that Holden should be Newcastle' s sponsor. Other than that solid concept

Why in the world would Holden sponsor a random location such as Newcastle? They have factories in South Australia, Melbourne and Auckland I believe and their Headquarters is in Melbourne. So if Holden was ever to be a sponsor, it would be either the whole league or a team in Melbourne or around it.

Even if it should be, we are here to critique the graphic work he did here, not the choice of the corporate logo on the front that he didn't even make. I support the use of the current sponsor on this anyways.

jaker52sig.png

signatureofteams.jpg

MUNCHEN LOWEN (WAFA) GULF SHORES OSPREYS (IBL)

Perth's crest definitely needed an upgrade/total overhaul, so I'm glad with what you went with. I'm a big fan of the banner design to be sure. Not sure how I feel about the bar above the banner - I get it's supposed to be the bar that it's hanging on, but it seems a little weird. I dunno. The kits look great though. I like the bomb-pop styled clash kits, and it's still got enough purple in it. Good job again, raysox.

spacer.png

Drink water and try to have fun!

Sydney FC
Sydney FC's logo was a lost cause. Non-symmetrical with gradients, and a bad font. I decided to redo it completely, and go for a simplistic look that would stand out as the Premier team of the league. I went with the LA Galaxy as my main inspiration. The crest shape wasn't supposed to be as close as it was, but I wanted something that was representative without looking like a postcard. The Sky Blues are called that because they hold a light blue monopoly. On the crest, I only included navy to darken it a little. The 7 sided star moves up to the position of the focal point.

The kits were meant to fall into the brand. Head to toe light blue for the home uniforms with the classic Adidas stripes. The orange that got bumped off the identity shows up on the clash jersey.
Sydney.png

Only one? I've been updating every day, so make sure you all come back!

Wellington Phoenix

This is one team I couldn't wait to get my hands on. The first New Zealand team has a decent name, but a bad logo. It has a lot of banners, a flame, a ball, a shield, and a poorly drawn bird. I wanted to streamline all of those. I made an abstract bird over a flame and striped shield. Then I ran Wellington over the crest. I felt like since the Phoenix was already part of the crest, then I didn't need to say it again.
The yellow and black stripes return because it's a really nice identity. The clash is very different from the home, but still carries the same idea. This time, white and yellow.
Wellington.png

Impressive! The new crest is well-rendered, and the kits work well within the identity. I had some initial concerns about the clash using a template that is so similar to the standard one, but the clash's color balance is different enough to render that point moot.

I really like what you've done in this series, and I look forward to seeing what you'll do next.

Only thing I think Sydney FC's crest needs is a relation to the city of Sydney. This is why the current logo has the silhouette of the opera house inside it. Even in the old NSL (leage that predated the A-League), Sydney United had the opera house on top of their logo

Ahhhh yes, you fixed Sydney. I love the look you created, the full sky blue works perfectly too.

Wellington looks clean and still recognizable.

Only thing I think Sydney FC's crest needs is a relation to the city of Sydney. This is why the current logo has the silhouette of the opera house inside it. Even in the old NSL (leage that predated the A-League), Sydney United had the opera house on top of their logo

I mentioned that I didn't want the operas house because I didn't want the crest to look like a postcard. The opera house looked clunky in one color, no matter how I tried to make it, so I got rid of it.

Dang, how did I miss Sydney? I do agree that it needs something to relate it back to the city of Sydney, and I wish that there was some orange in the crest (if you've got that much orange in the clash jersey it'd make sense to have at least something in the crest), but overall I like it. Big fan of the Galaxy/DC pattern on the home jersey. For Wellington, the logo upgrade is a nice touch, save for one thing - the yellow seems to orange. I get that you're trying to make it more of a flame-like color, but I think it'd look better if you used the yellow the Phoenix uses now instead. That would most likely end up changing your clash jersey (due to the brighter yellow blending with the white), and I do like the current clash jersey, so I'm a little torn there. Beyond that, very nice work on both of them.

spacer.png

Drink water and try to have fun!

I'm surprised by the comments regarding the opera house. As a Torontonian - another place where pretty much only one building is iconic - I feel that adding a CN tower to every Toronto logo is overbearing and annoying. But all the Professional Toronto teams DON'T have the CN tower. So I find it hard to understand why you would want the opera house. Anyway, maybe the logo on the back above the name could simply be the opera house. Or maybe a sublimation on the jersey could be the opera house?

I'm surprised by the comments regarding the opera house. As a Torontonian - another place where pretty much only one building is iconic - I feel that adding a CN tower to every Toronto logo is overbearing and annoying. But all the Professional Toronto teams DON'T have the CN tower. So I find it hard to understand why you would want the opera house. Anyway, maybe the logo on the back above the name could simply be the opera house. Or maybe a sublimation on the jersey could be the opera house?

This is basically what I'm trying to say. Western Sydney Wanderers don't have it. I'm thinking about the idea of the Grand Final taking place at a fixed stadium, ANZ Stadium in Sydney most likely. There you'll probably see the Opera House.

The yellow and black stripes return because it's a really nice identity. The clash is very different from the home, but still carries the same idea. This time, white and yellow.
Wellington.png

Don't want to derail this thread but I think it's relevant to a redesign: this is orange, isn't it? Are their original colors supposed to be yellow/did you change it at all?

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

^

It looks golden yellow to me, as the teams colours are. Unless it's just the brightness on my phone but it looks right.

Edit: it's my phone, the colours should be brighter. However, I do like the colour Raysox chose. I've never been a fan of such bright colours, especially Yellow.

West Sydney Wanderers
This team has the perfect brand. I love the logo, and I love the hoops.

Both are the same, Mark from Expand the A-League is a WSW fan, and he suggested black shorts for the home kits, but I just couldn't do it. The clash is a white and grey version of the home. This was a lay up, and I promise it's a lot more creative the rest of the way.
WesternSydney.png

Archived