raysox's A-League

raysox

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The numbers are the Charlotte Hornets numbers, but I made them skinnier

Michael, I like this series overall but now you're just promoting unrealistic beauty standards for numbers.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Auckland City

So for the first of the expansion teams to the A-League, I chose a team that already exists. Auckland City is a powerhouse in the Oceania region. The issue is that since New Zealand is in Oceania confederation, and Australia is in the Asian, they aren't eligible for the same things. BUT, that isn't my problem because Auckland is huge, and Wellington has a team too.

Auckland's logo is a mess right now. There's stripes, initials, an anchor, a body of water, a mountain, an a landmark. I just dropped it all for an anchor. I used the logo as the basis for this, but ultimately made my own. I did a bevel effect, and a ribbon behind the crest because it felt like it needed something else.

The jerseys are pretty simple. I eliminated some colors and made them duel blues. I used some designs from my US Soccer 2030 project I liked, recolored to fit the Kiwis.

Auckland.png

Your redesign of the Perth Glory logo is excellent. My favorite logo of this thread.

Edit: Just saw that the "PERTH" ribbon is off-center.

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

Good work on Auckland. They definitely needed a simplification, and what you did works very well. Simplicity is a good route to go, and the logo and uniforms echo this. The double blue works well also. Nice work once again.

spacer.png

Drink water and try to have fun!

Im somewhat glad you didnt add that bevel shade from the crest into the jersey. Having 2 darker blues (the lighter shade is still darker than normal double blue looks is what I'm trying to say) looks nice and unique and the anchor compliments the crest well. The only thing that stuck out to me is the 2014 banner, but its not bad by any means, just a little different. I wouldn't touch it though.

That's what I was waiting for, a team in Auckland! I haven't thought that you would put Auckland City in it though. But I like it. I'm actually a fan of their current logo, I agree that there is much thrown in but imo it's kinda clever. But your logo is nicely done, too. I like the colour composition. I think you should've stayed with white home socks. I always liked their 'Chelsea in navy look'.

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

Auckland is a really, really nice design. Solid and clean. I like it.

For the most part, Wellington and Western Sydney are good but I'd nitpick them on a personal level…

With Wellington, I don't like how the stripes don't make any appearance on the back. Don't like it when that happens because it looks like two different kits front and back.

With WSW, I don't think you need the "box” around the numbers; there's enough contrast between white and red and white and black that it's superfluous.

6fQjS3M.png

Thanks Crash. I'll revisit Wellington and change that, and make it more yellow for everyone. Just before I posted WSW, I put the black box on the back like the current look, and because it looked better than the hoops under the numbers.

Canberra United
I think this may be my favorite concept I've done. Canberra is the best candidate to get an expansion team. I'm basing that off of being a pretty large city without a team. Currently, the women's league in Australia is the W-League. They teams in that league have the same names as their male counterparts, EXCEPT Canberra United. Their logo is okay, it looks like it fits into the rest of the current A-League. So I wanted to make it my own. I made a shield, and decided on a green since the team hasn't. I love dark cool grey as a color, and chose it over black. These colors are really unique in sports individually and together. I brought over the Capitol Building in the current logo, and simplified it. Through on words, and called it a day.

The kits are pretty basic. I did monochrome green for the home. Completely unique to everything else in the league. The clash is white and grey. I accented it a little with green. I wanted to try a different stripe than normal, instead of up and down, or left and right, I made it cut diagonally from the neck hole. Hire me Nike.
Canberra.png

That looks really good. I prefer the clash kit though. Kinda reminds me of a Valencia kit, if the green was replaced with orange. The only thing I would change is maybe add a bit more grey to the home kit.

spacer.png

Definitely add more grey to the home kit. Maybe you could change the white trim to grey or make the pinstripes more grey and thicker. It's also a minor nitpick that probably won't be changed, but the way you stylized the Capitol makes it look like a coat hanger a bit. Probably just me there, though. Beyond that, no complaints. Lime is one of my favorite colors, so I'm a very big fan of that. Good work once again.

spacer.png

Drink water and try to have fun!

Two for you all since I never got around to posting yesterday.

AFC Geelong

For the only team not from Melbourne in Victoria, I was told that tying the Aussie Rules team the Geelong Cats would be my best bet. They're known for their blue hoops, so I wanted to carry that over. Think of blue and white stripes as the Aussie version of the Pittsburgh teams' yellow and black. The AFL team uses a darker blue, but there was too much navy by the time I did it. So I wanted to expand the palette of the league a little.

I really couldn't think of an actual brand, so I needed to be somewhat generic for the logo. I did a crest with hoops, a ball at the top of it like the Swedish logo. I could only fit the initials and year on the crest because I didn't want a banner. According to Wikipedia, "Geelong was named in 1827, with the name derived from the local Wathaurong Aboriginal name for the region, Jillong, thought to mean "land" or "cliffs"" So I threw in some boomerangs. because it needed something I thought.

Geelong.png

North Queensland Fury

I'm giving this team a second chance! The team from Townsville played in the A-League from 2008-11 before they folded due to financial struggles. A team formed after they folded, and they currently play in the lower levels as the Northern Fury. Originally I as gonna use the winged ball logo they had before in some way, but the more I worked with it, the more I realized how much it sucked. So I went in a new direction. I decided on a kelly green and dark green for the team since they used a weird lime green gradient before they folded. It's probably the reason they folded. I did a crest shape and really really played with it. I used the Colorado Springs' USL logo as inspiration. I just tried my best to make it look furious with tapered stripes.

The kits are a green version of the USMNT's bomb pop kits. Nike has the template in their catalog, and I miss the USA wearing them. The clash just has some stripes that get darker and darker as it goes down.

NorthQLD.png

And since that's the 14th and final team of the A-League, here's the logos all together. Also I updated the yellow on Wellington

A-League.png

Map1.png

Ok new favorite. North Queensland Fury is beautiful. I love the use of the 2 different shades of green and the logo is perfection. The only thing I'd maybe like to see is dark green socks on the home set. Or maybe just the top of them dark green (like the top of the away socks).

spacer.png

Yessssss Geelong Cats!! :P nice to see Fury back too, their identity looks nice.

You did a great job on the entire A-League, I'm surprised it's over already :(

It's too bad that Hobart, Darwin, Wollongong and Brisbane (2) (Sunshine/Gold Coast/Surfer's Paradise/Ipswitch) and Perth (2) didn't get a team in the top tier but I'm sure we will see some in the 2nd Tier! :P

Archived