NIU Vintage Mascot sketch

NDFreek

If there is one thing I love about college athletics, it's those vintage mascots in sweaters. Those logos are the best. I'm two months away from my high school graduation and next year I'll be packing my bags and leaving for Dekalb to go to NIU.

Granted, NIU does have a vintage mascot logo, but I wanted a shot at it.

Here is my very rough sketch of what I want to accomplish. Bucky the Badger and Miss St Bulldog logos were inspiration for this so far.

I'm having trouble with the mouth and the feet aren't looking as smooth as id like. Please hit me with some C&C

(No I will not be taking request for all you new users that flood the boards asking for them on every post)

image.jpg

spacer.png

About to age myself here, but I remember when we got the new Huskies logo. We called the logo of just the head the "Fightin' Ferret."

Anyway, as to this attempt, for clarification, are you trying to create a new vintage logo, or meld the vintage with the current? Regardless, I like this so far and can't wait to see where you go with it, but I think that clarification would help inform my C&C a little more.

fightinghuskie.jpg80shuskie.jpg2chuskie.jpg

"Type something, will ya? We're paying for this stuff." - Peter Venkman
Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

About to age myself here, but I remember when we got the new Huskies logo. We called the logo of just the head the "Fightin' Ferret."

Anyway, as to this attempt, for clarification, are you trying to create a new vintage logo, or meld the vintage with the current? Regardless, I like this so far and can't wait to see where you go with it, but I think that clarification would help inform my C&C a little more.

fightinghuskie.jpg80shuskie.jpg2chuskie.jpg

Thanks for the feedback. As for what I'm trying to accomplish here, I want to make a new vintage logo if that makes any sense. I love the mascot sweater logos, but I'm not a fan on NIU's.

spacer.png

You've got a solid start here. A few things I can see that need to be worked on are:

1. Sailor hat - right now it's too small and the way you have it positioned the top & side of the button should be visible.

2. Sweater - the collar is too wide & looks more like for a bulldog mascot. The Husky's fur should cover some of it.

3. Tail - it needs movement, right now it looks stiff & too smooth. The legs also look too smooth compared to the head.

4. Foot - the issue with it is the same as with the hat. The way it's positioned we shouldn't see so much of the bottom.

Work on these & use reference photos of huskies as well as these type of mascots to help you fine tune it. Looking forward to seeing your revised sketch!

Archived