Las Vegas (Something) Knights NHL concept

sparkychewbarky

Wow.  I remember the Aces concept you did a while back, and it had been a while since I went to this forum.  And today I just went through your entire thought and design process of the Black Knights that you've done over the last 15-16 months.  I'm amazed!  The final concepts you ended up sending in are stellar.

I have one big comment though.  It's regarding your reluctance to use black as the primary color of the home jersey.  I totally understand your reasoning behind it - I understood it when you did the Aces as well.   You didn't want to because of the proximity to the LA Kings.  But here's the thing...

It didn't stop the Anaheim Ducks from using a black jersey.

Funny thing is, before Foley announced his colors, you had Black/Gold/Red as your colors and I couldn't help but think, "Anahaim uses Black/Gold/Orange as theirs".  Granted, thematically Ducks is much further away from Black Knights then Kings is.  But I couldn't get that out of my head.  When Foley announced the colors and you were forced to tone down the red, it really helped to step away from Anaheim's colors.

I'm actually surprised I didn't see anyone mention the Ducks throughout the whole thread (or maybe they did and I missed it).

Regardless, I actually think your dark grey idea is superb, and Foley would be really smart to go that direction instead of having yet a third black-jersey team in the West.  (Let's just thank the heavens that San Jose uses black as a secondary color instead of as a primary.  :) )  In addition, the whole presentation is awesome.  I also love the black alt jersey with the diagonal script - it reminds me of the Penguins black diagonal Pittsburgh script jersey from 1992 that I really liked back then.  Also, I really dig what the war horse ended up being in your proposal, with the LVK bridle.

Anyway, reading this entire thread and seeing the evolution of your design and its eventual amazing conclusion was a lot of fun and really made my day.  That presentation is also really slick.  Great job and good luck with the proposal - I hope yours gets chosen.  It really does kick ass!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On June 24, 2016 at 2:28 PM, thaipod said:

Wow.  I remember the Aces concept you did a while back, and it had been a while since I went to this forum.  And today I just went through your entire thought and design process of the Black Knights that you've done over the last 15-16 months.  I'm amazed!  The final concepts you ended up sending in are stellar.

I have one big comment though.  It's regarding your reluctance to use black as the primary color of the home jersey.  I totally understand your reasoning behind it - I understood it when you did the Aces as well.   You didn't want to because of the proximity to the LA Kings.  But here's the thing...

It didn't stop the Anaheim Ducks from using a black jersey.

Funny thing is, before Foley announced his colors, you had Black/Gold/Red as your colors and I couldn't help but think, "Anahaim uses Black/Gold/Orange as theirs".  Granted, thematically Ducks is much further away from Black Knights then Kings is.  But I couldn't get that out of my head.  When Foley announced the colors and you were forced to tone down the red, it really helped to step away from Anaheim's colors.

I'm actually surprised I didn't see anyone mention the Ducks throughout the whole thread (or maybe they did and I missed it).

Regardless, I actually think your dark grey idea is superb, and Foley would be really smart to go that direction instead of having yet a third black-jersey team in the West.  (Let's just thank the heavens that San Jose uses black as a secondary color instead of as a primary.  :) )  In addition, the whole presentation is awesome.  I also love the black alt jersey with the diagonal script - it reminds me of the Penguins black diagonal Pittsburgh script jersey from 1992 that I really liked back then.  Also, I really dig what the war horse ended up being in your proposal, with the LVK bridle.

Anyway, reading this entire thread and seeing the evolution of your design and its eventual amazing conclusion was a lot of fun and really made my day.  That presentation is also really slick.  Great job and good luck with the proposal - I hope yours gets chosen.  It really does kick ass!

thaipod...thanks for the great response. Much appreciated...sparky

On June 20, 2016 at 2:29 PM, ScreamingViking said:

I am aware of Army's team name(s). I was just saying that assuming that Black Knights or Knights is the official name, a heavy medieval Knights theme may not be Foley's preference (also it brings up comparisons to that goofy Excaliber Hotel). But you did so much great work on the Aces concept (which IMHO is the better identity) that I think there's hope for you getting a shot at a less-medieval, more-military Knights concept. Best of luck to you!

On June 20, 2016 at 2:33 PM, ScreamingViking said:

Also, though it hasn't been said much on this board, I think focusing on the "Battle Born" phrasing is a total win for both the military and medieval brands. It's the perfect meeting of local history (the state logo) and the player identity (a tough, hardened team). And I loved that instrumental Killers track on your promo video awhile back.

I hear ya Viking...maybe tone back a tad on the "medieval" emphasis. Hmmm....Thanks.

As far as the "Battle Born" thing...that phrase (from the state flag) would look good inside the collar...

COLLAR%20LV%202.jpg

On June 23, 2016 at 7:14 PM, Crabcake47 said:

This presentation is sick... I'll be even more annoyed if they unveil crap unis because I'll know they had an amazing option! Great job sparky!

Thank you Crab...here's a few more images...

DATSYUK%20bk2%20away.jpg

DATSYUK%20bk2%20home.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Las Vegas Knights

As Vegas gets set to announce their GM, "Knights" or "Silver Knights" seems to be gaining in popularity as options to "Black Knights".

("Aces" is still the public fave, although maybe not-so-much with the league and new owner)

...reworked a couple of logos and "silvered-up" the unis a bit...

knights%2003.jpg

knights%2004.jpg

Please, oh, please see this NHL. If these don't hit the rink, then I will be disappointed with hockey.

image.png 

"Okay, Mr. OKC, you obviously have never been to Louisville."

1 hour ago, Uglybus said:

Please, oh, please see this NHL. If these don't hit the rink, then I will be disappointed with hockey.

Same please  NHL have  you  sent it to the  ownership or try the  nhl email  or twitter 

http://i.imgur.com/4gh4ZhB.png http://i.imgur.com/DmN6VqA.png

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/103365-star-based-championship-signatures-by-request/

I'm more ok with Knights. Four words in a team name feels too long winded, IMO. I know it's a long shot, but I still pray to the hockey gods for Aces. I just feel that it would really suit the city.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

9 minutes ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

I'm more ok with Knights. Four words in a team name feels too long winded, IMO. I know it's a long shot, but I still pray to the hockey gods for Aces. I just feel that it would really suit the city.

Ditto! I was already in love with Aces and its uniforms. Seriously they needed this to compete against Winnipeg Jets for the battle of Aviation! 

Alamo%2BBowl_sig.png

Liberty Bowl_sig.png

FEAR THE FROG! LET'S GO TCU!!

• 2 weeks later...
On Friday, April 24, 2015 at 6:47 AM, sparky chewbarky said:

Mascot

I initially wanted to go with a horse logo, but I agree that a secondary logo, that was more literal in depicting a "Black Knight", was the way to go.

So, I've revamped the horse to be the logo of the 'Knights mascot..."Vegas".

It becomes more cartoon-ish, to be used in humourous and kid-related applications...

bk2-006.jpg

I guarantee you, whatever they come up with logo wise will pale in comparison to the horse logos you have made.

Texas.gif

• 2 months later...
On 2016-07-12 at 11:42 PM, Uglybus said:

On 2016-07-13 at 1:15 AM, StaatsBrett said:

Same please  NHL have  you  sent it to the  ownership or try the  nhl email  or twitter 

Thanks Brett & bus. Adidas is developing the logos and uniforms.

On 2016-07-13 at 3:28 PM, BeerGuyJordan said:

I'm with you BeerGuy. "Silver Knights, Golden Knights or Desert Knights" will be OK.

On 2016-07-13 at 3:41 PM, JMtexan09 said:

Ditto! I was already in love with Aces and its uniforms. Seriously they needed this to compete against Winnipeg Jets for the battle of Aviation! 

That would've been cool, JM.

On 2016-07-27 at 5:50 PM, Oso said:

I guarantee you, whatever they come up with logo wise will pale in comparison to the horse logos you have made.

Thanks Oso...maybe a war-horse logo can be associated with a horse mascot.

Just an update, guys.

"Aces" is officially a no-go.

It's going to be "Silver, Gold or Desert Knights". Red will be part of the colour scheme (we had that in the beginning).

A "steel mesh" material has been developed that allows another colour (red?) to peek through from behind. That could look great, but suggests that the dominant colour will be a silver-grey. Adidas is designing the logos and unis, and if their trends are an indication as to how Las Vegas will look, I think the uniforms will be super-simple.

I'm predicting home and aways will look something like this (different logos of course)...

silver%20knights%2016.jpg

Thanks all...

sparky

This thread just won't die!

And that's a good thing. The realism and overall presentation is incredible, and the designs are amazing. I'll echo everyone else and say that you should totally send these into the NHL, or Mr. Foley to try to get these put on the ice. These are wonderful!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2016-10-03 at 5:54 PM, ahowe6464 said:

I wouldn't mind this look. The nuanced red looks really good.

On 2016-10-03 at 5:55 PM, worcat said:

that new knight logo is amazing

On 2016-10-03 at 7:49 PM, Zeus89725 said:

This thread just won't die!

And that's a good thing. The realism and overall presentation is incredible, and the designs are amazing. I'll echo everyone else and say that you should totally send these into the NHL, or Mr. Foley to try to get these put on the ice. These are wonderful!

Thanks guys. Much appreciated!...

We're kinda expecting a more traditional "safe" look to the regular Homes and Aways...

silver%20knights%2016.jpg

but on the Alts and Special Event uniforms...I say "Let 'er Rip!".

With some heraldic patterns and neon-inspired logos, they could have a lot of fun with this...

silver%20knights%20alts.jpg

silver%20knights%20alts%2003.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 3/20/2015 at 10:14 AM, sparky chewbarky said:

Colours

I've used Mr. Foley's preference of following the colour scheme of Army's "Black Knights"...black, grey, and gold.

I've tweaked the colours by darkening the grey, making the gold a little more bright, and adding a bit of red...

bk-003.jpg

You nailed it over a year and a half ago!

On 11/23/2016 at 10:48 AM, MSO94 said:

Such a letdown you didn't get a chance to design the Knights look.

the look they came up with  is just so bad.

sorry you didn't get the job.

On 11/23/2016 at 11:09 AM, WavePunter said:

You nailed it over a year and a half ago!

Thanks guys. Came close on the colours, eh?!

On 11/23/2016 at 11:29 AM, OhioSportsMan61 said:

I'm shocked at how similar the secondary logo they unveiled is to your vegas star/sword logo @sparky chewbarky.....

Thanks Ohio...When you put stuff out there, it's gonna get copied, "borrowed", or tweaked'n used.

You hope it doesn't happen, but....

sword%20stars.jpg

On 11/23/2016 at 11:37 AM, Paul Lucas said:

That primary logo is incredible! Great freakin' job. Looks like a knight and not a spartan...and has the 'LV.'

Archived