Las Vegas (Something) Knights NHL concept

sparkychewbarky

Unfortunately only two images are working for me, but from what I've seen, I like the horse logo on the shield. The "BK" logo isn't working for me. It just looks like an upside-down "R". Maybe just a detailed black "K" logo could work

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with the others in that Black Knights works better than BlacKnights. If it were a minor league team, sure; but not for a NHL team.

The bk combined logo doesn't really work for me, either. It does look like an upside-down R and isn't very recognizably a bk.

Once again, though, I love how you show your (very well thought-out) thought process.

award%20sig.png

Unfortunately only two images are working for me, but from what I've seen, I like the horse logo on the shield. The "BK" logo isn't working for me. It just looks like an upside-down "R". Maybe just a detailed black "K" logo could work

I agree. The BK isn't working for me.

tinysig.jpg

Great start! Your threads are always awesome. Some thoughts:

--Like others have said, the combined name doesn't play. I might even consider taking off the "Black" and let the color palate, logo, unis, and mascot backstory speak to that.

--The shoulder logo looks too much like the Albuquerque Isotopes for me.

--Love the sweaters. Good use of color.

Hope this helps! I'm impressed by how open to feedback you are on these boards.

I'm excited to see what you put together for this. Your work is always great.

I am going to parrot that the "bk" logo just doesn't work. I like it in theory, but it doesn't seem to translate in practice. My first thought was "why does he have a logo that is an upside-down "r"?

Would be a shame if they went with Black Knights as the name, considering the NHL already has a similarly themed team in the Kings, and then the Ducks who borrowed bits of the Black Knights identity (the black and gold, and the sharp serif font) when they rebranded in 2006.

Nevertheless, this is a very strong alternative to your Aces concept. Love that secondary mark playing off the Vegas Star. The only thing throwing me off with the primary logo is the way the red line suddenly shrinks maybe a bit too much at some parts, but other than that the logo is brilliant :D

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

I'm excited to see what you put together for this. Your work is always great.

I am going to parrot that the "bk" logo just doesn't work. I like it in theory, but it doesn't seem to translate in practice. My first thought was "why does he have a logo that is an upside-down "r"?

I thought the same thing.

...The FUN stuff (alts, merch, promos) up next...

bk-009.jpg

Classic :P

As usual I'm in awe of the amount of thought and craftsmanship you put into your concepts. The logos are solid, the colours are fantastic and the jerseys are well on their way. One bit of constructive criticism I would give concerns the side panels on the uniforms. I think your colour scheme would better on a jersey with hem stripes but that is just personal preference. Great work overall!

Guest darkpiranha

As always, the thought process is brilliant. Love the color scheme and the overall look of the home and away jerseys.

Love the instant impression of the logo, but it falls apart a bit on closer examination.

• As stated, the red lines get squeezed a bit too much at the intersections.
  • the bK logo only works if you know what it's supposed to be and are looking for it. Cool for a secondary, but just doesn't quite work for the primary.
  • The Vegas star would look less like an isotope if you went ahead and matched the sharper taper of the sign. I really like this idea and execution.
  • For the shield elements, what if you tried matching the basic shape of the diamond sign a bit more. Basically, instead of the two curved dips on top and bulge on the sides, if it's just that same straight diamond angles of the sign, but in shield shape. This probably will end up making it not look like a shield anymore, but I'm throwing it out there anyway.

But like I said, the first impression looks fantastic, so what if you kept just the K, and maybe even made the red line a bit thicker overall. I liked how you were trying to connect it to the chevron, but that's where it gets wonky. So what if you just put the full chevron right below the K and horse so it makes a sort of overall base for the logo and you still sort of get the same overall impression.

And I have to agree about the BlacKnights. Good for minor leagues, but not for NHL. But also agree that Black Knights is a very long and cumbersome sort of identity. It works okay in Blackhawks and Red Wings because those words/sounds flow together. Black Knights has a lot of consonants that don't flow together smoothly, plus you have a silent K which mentally causes you to have to pause. So I don't know that there's going to be an elegant way to present Black Knights. It just is what it is.

Anyway, awesome as always. Your not-100%-successful-on-first-try designs are better than 99.5% of the stuff we see. Inspiring and humbling at the same time.

First of all, Thanks to all for the great response and suggestions.

Some right-on advice!...Much appreciated!

You are all right re: the "BlacKnights" monicker...it just didn't work.

I would have preferred a 1-word team name, but "BlackKnights" also looked a little awkward.

"Knights" would be the best solution in my opinion, But the man footing most of the bill (Mr. Foley) has maintained that he would prefer "Black Knights",

So... I'm gonna try and make "Black Knights" work.

Before I get started on "Take 2", I'd like to show you where the idea for the colour scheme and font choice came from....

bk-013.jpg

I really liked the "grey-on-black", and the "Squealer" font was an ideal, simplified, "Old English" style.

On the secondary logo, a few of you mentioned the "Isotopes-look" that it had.

Wow...You were right and I couldn't "unsee" the atom-like imagery.

The reference to the iconic L.V. sign was strong enough, that the logo didn't have to be exactly like the neon-light style compass-star.

I made the "rays" solid rather than outlined, and IMO the new image works much better.

Thanks again for all of the feedback...

bk-014.jpg

The weird-looking "bK" monogram was just too weird looking,

So, both of the old monogram and primary logos were flawed.

With "Black Knights"...What do you use?... a "B" or a "K" ?...and trying to squeeze in a "BK" was just too difficult.

I decided to simplify and go without letters in the primary.

I also decided to go "full-blown-chess-piece". It's a more interesting shape.

The new logo can be used with or without a background shield....

bk-015.jpg

The base of the shape also suggests an ace of spades or clubs...

bk-016.jpg

A while ago I spent an evening at the "Medieval Times".

It was a pretty good night out.

Anyway, I was impressed by the colours and patterns of the knights...

bk-019.jpg

The main uniforms of this concept are dark-ish to reflect the "Black Knights" theme, but brighter colours and more complicated patterns can be used for alts and fan sweaters...

bk-023.jpg

bk-024.jpg

Archived