Las Vegas (Something) Knights NHL concept

sparkychewbarky

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest darkpiranha

I like F best. The thinner gold shape gives it more of a filigree feel to it, rather than an odd shadow/highlight effect.

I really like B and I, actually. B feels like there's extra emphasis on the Black part of Black Knight, with the contrast between the black in the center of the letters contrasting nicely with the fine gold. I think F is my least favorite. It looks like how skinny it was is a mistake. I also don't like the grey/gold combos on H and L, the values are too similar. I also like the look of K, but it not having the grey makes it look a little out of place with the other logos.

I actually like F, sounds like most people are liking the gray options but I'm a can of the gold in this case.

I like the gold too. I, K, or L imo.

spacer.png

Thanks for the response guys...

J. It's always the best letter.

C or J.

All of them are perfect but seeing as I have to pick one id say c.

C is nice; I like the LV being more subtile. If you don't want to go in that direction, I would go with one that doesn't have an outline (especially either D or J); the outline makes it too busy in my opinion (unless you only do the outline, like in C).

I actually like F, sounds like most people are liking the gray options but I'm a can of the gold in this case.

I like F best. The thinner gold shape gives it more of a filigree feel to it, rather than an odd shadow/highlight effect.

I really like B and I, actually. B feels like there's extra emphasis on the Black part of Black Knight, with the contrast between the black in the center of the letters contrasting nicely with the fine gold. I think F is my least favorite. It looks like how skinny it was is a mistake. I also don't like the grey/gold combos on H and L, the values are too similar. I also like the look of K, but it not having the grey makes it look a little out of place with the other logos.

E or K

Sometimes, when you put a "poll" up, you hope for an obvious winner...which didn't happen here.

However, "multi-coloured" letters received the least amount of votes, so it came down to... gold letters vs. grey letters.

Gold had a slight edge in number of votes.

I like the subtle look of the grey, but I also like the "pop" of the gold, and considering that the home unis are dark-ish, I'm going with gold.

Next decision was, outline or solid.

The solid options were more popular, but suplauren noted that he liked the added black that the outline gave.

I agree that F was a little too skinny, so I thinned-out the LV of option "I" again, which reveals some extra black of the background...

bk-071.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the result. Thanks to all for your help.

Now here's how it would look as the primary...

bk-070.jpg

Does the new helmet logo work better than the "Vegas Star" as primary?...

bk-069.jpg

C or J.

C is nice; I like the LV being more subtile. If you don't want to go in that direction, I would go with one that doesn't have an outline (especially either D or J); the outline makes it too busy in my opinion (unless you only do the outline, like in C).

E or K

Sometimes, when you put a "poll" up, you hope for an obvious winner...which didn't happen here.

However, "multi-coloured" letters received the least amount of votes, so it came down to... gold letters vs. grey letters.

I like the subtle look of the grey, but I also like the "pop" of the gold, and considering that the home unis are dark-ish, I'm going with gold.

The solid options were more popular, but suplauren noted that he liked the added black that the outline gave.

I agree that F was a little too skinny, so I thinned-out the LV of option "I" again, which reveals some extra black of the background...

bk-071.jpg

bk-070.jpg

bk-069.jpg

I personally think they both look good

28ahpn4.jpg

NbyQSAg.pngODa02WA.pngChTDCVV.png

C or J.

E or K

bk-071.jpg

bk-070.jpg

bk-069.jpg

Ding! Ding! Ding! The knight helmet looks amazing! Definitely use that as the primary. If possible, could you work in the war horse as a shoulder patch?

spacer.png

The sword is my favorite conceptually for the primary, but I think the fine lines (the orangey outline on the red and the light grey outline on the sword handle) are holding it back. I think if you got rid of those fine lines, and maybe added a bit more variance in line weight in some other areas (maybe the handle?), it would pop more.

I like the knight's head logo, but something about it doesn't say primary to me. Maybe it's the prominence of the lettering, combined with smaller details? When I think of the NHL I tend to think of simpler primary logos, so maybe that's why I'm feeling the sword more.

Another thought, do you need to use a white outline? I'm curious if the logos may look better with a different color outline, since white doesn't appear anywhere else in the logos. Maybe the gold?

Guest darkpiranha

If it's between the helmet and sword-star, I'm 100% for the sword-star. The LV helmet works much much better now, but in the end, for me, it's still a lot of mental work to parse the logo, where the sword-star is more clearly "iconic".

Can I see what the knight helmet looks like without the LV, Sparky? I mean, I think the LV could be strong enough as a shoulder patch, but I still feel it's too much in the helmet.

Agreed. 100% what I was thinking. I also think that the sword-star is better than the helmet.

Can I see what the knight helmet looks like without the LV, Sparky? I mean, I think the LV could be strong enough as a shoulder patch, but I still feel it's too much in the helmet.

Agreed. 100% what I was thinking. I also think that the sword-star is better than the helmet.

Thanks guys. I tried a helmet without any letters or symbols on it.

It looked pretty good, but didn't look much different from dozens of other "Knight Helmet" logos.

I wanted one of the logos to have either an "LV" or "BK" monogram on it (mostly for merchandising purposes).

I've tweaked it a bit and made some new colour changes...

If it's between the helmet and sword-star, I'm 100% for the sword-star. The LV helmet works much much better now, but in the end, for me, it's still a lot of mental work to parse the logo, where the sword-star is more clearly "iconic".

Agreed.

The sword is my favorite conceptually for the primary, but I think the fine lines (the orangey outline on the red and the light grey outline on the sword handle) are holding it back. I think if you got rid of those fine lines, and maybe added a bit more variance in line weight in some other areas (maybe the handle?), it would pop more.

I like the knight's head logo, but something about it doesn't say primary to me. Maybe it's the prominence of the lettering, combined with smaller details? When I think of the NHL I tend to think of simpler primary logos, so maybe that's why I'm feeling the sword more.

Another thought, do you need to use a white outline? I'm curious if the logos may look better with a different color outline, since white doesn't appear anywhere else in the logos. Maybe the gold?

Thanks suplauren.

I took away the white keylines, thickened the black lines, took away the orangey and lt. grey lines, and threw a subtle bevel into it.

Well, there's been a late development in the design process.

I approached this project under the premise that the potential owner (Bill Foley) is calling the shots as to what the identity of his team should be.

A few days ago, Mr. Foley announced that team colours will be Gold, Black and Silver-grey...

bk2-002.jpg

So, I've gone back to the drawing board to make the colour changes.

I approached this project under the premise that the potential owner (Bill Foley) is calling the shots as to what the identity of his team should be.

A few days ago, Mr. Foley announced that team colours will be Gold, Black and Silver-grey...

So, the Pittsburgh Penguins of Las Vegas!

Logos

I've removed the dark grey from the palette.

There are many variances in a "Gold" colour (tan-gold, greenish-gold, yellow-gold).

I've tried to match the gold shown in the "NHL" sample, but the tone can be played around with.

I imagine that in "real-life" many samples would be tried to see which looked best on ice.

IMO, a metallic gold would look best and would be the most "Vega-ish".

I made the helmet a tad more streamlined, and made some changes to the "Vegas Star".

I kept some red in the logos, but removed red from any striping on the unis.

bk2-017.jpg

So, the Pittsburgh Penguins of Las Vegas!

Yeah... pretty much, DP.

Again, I'm letting Mr. Foley call the shots.

It's tough to come up with a classic, acceptable colour scheme that isn't being used already.

I guess if it's the only "Gold-Black-Silver" team in the west....that's not so bad.

Archived