Best/favorite color schemes?

MCM0313

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a fan of the short lived Hawks scheme, with the blue and green.

1e9khh5r8f7o21oshh23oehv7.gif?w=429&h=43\

Hate me all you want, but WYO's color scheme is ultra unique and I actually like the yellow and brown combo.

I'm also a fan of the yellow and brown, but I personally think that Valparaiso does it better. They primarily use yellow, and I think they use a lighter shade of brown than Wyoming.

ncaa-valparaiso-maryl_bloy-e142690555226

Darker shade of yellow, too. If you lined up Valparaiso's yellow and Tennessee's orange side-to-side, I bet they'd be pretty similar.

As I mentioned in my first post, I really liked some NBA color schemes that someone posted on this site earlier. I found the thread---it's called "NBA Project 32" (the creator added teams as well as recoloring some). Here's a link to the Grizzlies recolor (to brown, teal, and yellow, which looks so much better than it sounds): http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/98662-nba-project-32-phoenix-suns-update/page-10#entry2252348

Here's the South Beach-looking Heat recolor (black, magenta, and neon blue, which also looks much better than it sounds): http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/98662-nba-project-32-phoenix-suns-update/page-13#entry2259064

Helpfully, there's an index at the beginning of the thread: http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/98662-nba-project-32-phoenix-suns-update/

Lots of interesting concepts on there.

Oilers in white had some epic playoff blunders on the road in cold weather. Those lovable losers.

McDowell-600x394.jpg

Not just on the road. 1993 Divisional Playoffs, Jan. 1994, against the Chiefs. Quite possibly the first playoff game I ever watched.

NFL~ Packers Throwback. I have seen them play in it, It was fun.

20141116_gma_sh5_204.jpg.0.jpg

MLB ~ HAS to be brewers throwback

display_image.jpg?x=371890

AHL Is Admirals thier brewers throwback Alt

admiralsbrewers.jpg

The bias is strong with this one.
Yeah it is but then so would mine, except for the Packers.
packchampionslfroh.png

To be honest, and this may be a bit of an unpopular opinion, but I really, really like black and silver. 1) It's got an imposing look and feel to it, and 2) also tends to make a lot of uniform matchups look really good (or better than it would normally be otherwise) because of the contrast it provides in most cases. I wouldn't necessarily switch just any team to it if I had a choice, as I also feel it's a scheme that only a select few teams could pull off (and more black and silver teams would ruin reason #2 of why I love it), but it is definitely my favorite scheme in sports nonetheless.

My personal favorite examples:

Tony+Parker+Kawhi+Leonard+San+Antonio+Sp

73818109__sb_2800_25271332.jpg

* And don't get me wrong, I like the Raiders, too. But I just love the way white works with these two more, which is something that the Raiders only have going on the road by default and don't offer on the homes.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

To be honest, and this may be a bit of an unpopular opinion, but I really, really like black and silver. 1) It's got an imposing look and feel to it, and 2) also tends to make a lot of uniform matchups look really good (or better than it would normally be otherwise) because of the contrast it provides in most cases. I wouldn't necessarily switch just any team to it if I had a choice, as I also feel it's a scheme that only a select few teams could pull off (and more black and silver teams would ruin reason #2 of why I love it), but it is definitely my favorite scheme in sports nonetheless.

My personal favorite examples:

Tony+Parker+Kawhi+Leonard+San+Antonio+Sp

73818109__sb_2800_25271332.jpg

* And don't get me wrong, I like the Raiders, too. But I just love the way white works with these two more, which is something that the Raiders only have going on the road by default and don't offer on the homes.

jim_abbott_1991_01_01.jpg

Red and black (or rouge et noir ;)) is the most obvious answer:

5bbac52cb4e470dfe15dac314f57ec50.jpg

but I think navy and gold (both old gold and yellow) should be right up there:

conner-1.jpg

On a related note, royal blue, gold, and red are a fantastic combo:

LONDON-MONARCHS-WEMBLEY-AMERICAN-FOOTBAL

tul-07-10-bluegold-dennishubbard-vert-62

My personal favorite color combinations are white & gold and black & gold, but unfortunately those haven't really been used in sports, except for this Western Michigan alt that could have been executed better (by using white pants and no drop-shadow for the numerals):

niu-wmu-unis2.jpg

This early Jacksonville Jaguars look combines those two combos into a scheme I wish the Jags had kept (no need for teal imo):

Jacksonville+Jaguars+v+Indianapolis+Colt

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

Spurs (1990s "fiesta" color scheme; would've been great to see them do something with it on their uniforms)

Agreed

Kelly Green, White, and Black.

Red, white, black as number 2.

I love both of those, but where is the first one used other than Marshall?

8915157-large.jpg

Add me to the camp who loves Tulane's color scheme. I love all of these configurations too (swag be damned):

new-tulane-football-helmets-2013.png

I'm convinced that light blue looks good with just about everything. Of course, we wouldn't want everyone to jump on the bandwagon, because we'd then get tired of it, but it's way under-used as it is.

That bandwagon was jumped on in the 70s (c.f. powder blue in the MLB via the Braves, Brewers, Cards, Cubs, Royals, Phillies, and born-into-that-era Blue Jays, not to mention the Buffalo Braves/San Diego Clippers in the NBA--actually, the AFL was ahead of this trend, with the Houston Oilers and San Diego Chargers owning it since the 60s and keeping it through the merger into the 70s). It is a really great color though, probably better than 90s teal and 00s navy. The 2nd high school I went to wore an Oilers' ripoff that looked great, especially in 2 state championships:

69640_561331627229148_2083023551_n.jpg

Which leads me to the next post I'm quoting:

Hate me all you want, but WYO's color scheme is ultra unique and I actually like the yellow and brown combo.

Admittedly, though, they've cluttered it up with toilet bowl collars and flywire in recent years.

wy-12-browngold-troybabbitt-vert-620x829

My hometown high school that I would've gone to if a new one with a better academic program hadn't opened up while I was in middle school had a yellow and brown color scheme (and identity) that I was always fond of, but unfortunately they recently got the Long Beach State treatment (i.e. trading brown for BFBS).

[...]

Actually, this is my favorite look for the Raiders:

4b6da6a05f40cb9455ad25708a82fb8a-getty-.

I guess you'd call that silver and white with black trim, but to me it's beautiful. Most of those AFL anniversary games were a thing of beauty, actually

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

Spurs (1990s "fiesta" color scheme; would've been great to see them do something with it on their uniforms)

Agreed

Kelly Green, White, and Black.

Red, white, black as number 2.

I love both of those, but where is the first one used other than Marshall?

8915157-large.jpg

Add me to the camp who loves Tulane's color scheme. I love all of these configurations too (swag be damned):

new-tulane-football-helmets-2013.png

I'm convinced that light blue looks good with just about everything. Of course, we wouldn't want everyone to jump on the bandwagon, because we'd then get tired of it, but it's way under-used as it is.

That bandwagon was jumped on in the 70s (c.f. powder blue in the MLB via the Cards, Cubs, Royals, Phillies, and born-into-that-era Blue Jays, not to mention the Buffalo Braves/San Diego Clippers in the NBA--actually, the AFL was ahead of this trend, with the Houston Oilers and San Diego Chargers owning it since the 60s and keeping it through the merger into the 70s). It is a really great color though, probably better than 90s teal and 00s navy. The 2nd high school I went to wore an Oilers' ripoff that looked great, especially in 2 state championships:

69640_561331627229148_2083023551_n.jpg

Which leads me to the next post I'm quoting:

Admittedly, though, they've cluttered it up with toilet bowl collars and flywire in recent years.

wy-12-browngold-troybabbitt-vert-620x829

My hometown high school that I would've gone to if a new one with a better academic program hadn't opened up while I was in middle school had a yellow and brown color scheme (and identity) that I was always fond of, but unfortunately they recently got the Long Beach State treatment (i.e. trading brown for BFBS).

[...]

Actually, this is my favorite look for the Raiders:

4b6da6a05f40cb9455ad25708a82fb8a-getty-.

I guess you'd call that silver and white with black trim, but to me it's beautiful. Most of those AFL anniversary games were a thing of beauty, actually

Trading brown and gold for BFBS is the "Long Beach State treatment"? When did LBSU wear brown? I've only known them to wear black and yellow-gold. If anything, I'd call that the "Western Michigan treatment." Also, 2000s navy stunk in a lot of cases. (Bills, anyone?) I really hated the late 1990s/early 2000s trend of moving to navy and black and away from bright colors (Bills, Buccaneers although theirs turned into a modern classic, 49ers, Broncos, Eagles, Rams although theirs was pretty good till they got rid of the metallic-gold pants, Jaguars, Oilers-to-Titans transformation, Patriots, even the Dolphins somewhat with the addition of navy and the darkening of their aqua color, and that's just in the NFL---not even talking about the 76ers, L.A. Kings, and seemingly the entirety of college basketball).

Archived