Political Logos

Waffles

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

Ok Americans, here's some Canadian political history.

The OG Conservative Party of Canada elected John Bracken as their party leader in 1942. Bracken was an out-there choice for the Tories (slang for "conservative" in Commonwealth nations). They had traditionally built their base in Protestant Ontario. A string of defeats to William L. McKenzie King's Liberals had left the party reeling, however, and they were looking to expand their electoral support.

King's Liberals had, up until the Great Depression, relied on an alliance among Quebec and Western voters to win elections. King sacrificed the Western wing of the party to shore up support in Quebec during the Depression, which left many Western Canadians disillusioned with the Liberal brand. Bracken was one such Westerner, a member of the Progressive Party of Manitoba.

The Tories looked to make inroads in the western provinces to capitalize on the Liberal collapse. Bracken was popular, and so he was approached by the Conservative Party to stand as party leader in 1942. He agreed, bringing many former Progressives into the Conservative Party with him. One of his conditions for taking the role was that the party had to change its name to the Progressive Conservative Party. Or PC Party, for short.

Now that has nothing to do with "political correctness." And the marriage of Progressive Party voters to the Tory base wasn't that out there either. See, there's a strain of conservative political theory that;s called "Red Toryism" in Canada. In the UK it's called "One Nation Conservatism." In the US its adherents are called "Rockefeller Republicans." The idea is the nation is, well, one whole unit. From the top down, everyone is interconnected. So it falls on those with money and power to use their privileges in ways to benefit as much people as possible. This stands in stark contrast to neoconservatism, which is highly individualistic.

Red Toryism was the dominating philosophy of the PC Party until a wing of western neoconservatives broke off, forming the Reform Party in the late 80s. This split the conservative movement in Canada, mostly along east-west lines. The two sides reunited in 2003 when the Progressive Conservatives and the Alliance (the Reform Party's successor) merged to form the new "Conservative Party of Canada."

Now provincial parties in Canada are separate entities from national parties, but many follow the lead of the national counterparts. Provincial Conservative Parties all adopted the "Progressive Conservative" label in 1942. The Reform Party (and later the Alliance) tried to establish provincial wings too, but they failed to gain much traction. So while the national PC and Alliance parties merged to form the new Conservative Party? The provincial parties saw no need to merge. The lack of success for Reform/Alliance provincial parties left them as non-entities, while the PC brand remained strong. So they kept it.

[/HistoryLesson]

That's good reading.  Thanks for the share.

In case anyone outside the US wants to know more about America, here's our version:

back_to_back_world_war_champs_eagle_post

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, 2001mark said:

Mod edit

I don't understand half of this, but "flat earth" is a fantastic nickname.  At least, I hope it's a nickname.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

15 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

@pianoknight

Don't take this the wrong way, but I would love to watch a series where you just react to bits and pieces of Canadian political news out of context :D

Possible podcast?  Just don't tell the Fine Bros that I'm reacting to something.  

UyDgMWP.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Dr. Kellie Leitch has launched her campaign for Conservative leader (thirteen months before the vote!)

12961411_1038546392849408_67197958404317

12983834_1038959162808131_18556994474989

Slogan is pretty weak, but the overall design is solid.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

I like the transition from English to French.  As someone who doesn't speak a lick of French, it reads like she Works Hard.... by TRAVELLING!  

#Thuglife up in here!  #RickSteves 

UyDgMWP.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 27 avril 2016 at 4:50 PM, BlazerBlaze said:

Even more interesting, the campaign seems to be undecided on what to use. Cruz-Fiorina or Cruz-Carly

Cruz-Carly-Bumper-Stickers7.png

"Cruz/Carly" is just plain moronic — use either both first names or both surnames (preferably the latter).

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

• 1 month later...

Chong needs to get himself a better translation team, of French writing.

There is a huge difference, in my mind between "Leader" et "Leadership", in both official language.

It's changing the meaning from a skill/quality that could be shared by more than the person himself: Leadership (could have been changed to "Direction" in French) could be a promise form him, from the party, from our nation. But Leader focuses on the man, the "me, myself and I".

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

On ‎22‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 6:32 PM, pianoknight said:

That's good reading.  Thanks for the share.

In case anyone outside the US wants to know more about America, here's our version:

back_to_back_world_war_champs_eagle_post

I will refrain from making a political statement on a political statement, in a DESIGN/Branding discussion...

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

• 3 weeks later...

I just saw the logos for the Green Party and I think its the best one I've seen so far. It fits the theme of the Greens well and it stands out from the other campaigns. 

logo_4.png?1463636170

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

3 hours ago, alxy8s said:

0-grande.jpg

New slogan, new font.

"Clinton/Warren" would fit in really nicely.

Very reminiscent of Obama's 2012 identity:

Obama-Biden-logo.jpg

Somewhat similar color, very similar font. Guessing that her design team took some inspiration from that identity.

Archived