Michigan Athletic Department email survey results in overwhelming support for Nike

If this is true only four teams are left on the list of teams that look good with adidas

Mississippi State

Wisconsin

Texas A&M

Nebraska

Well, I'll have to disagree with you there. They look traditional-ish, but Adidas as absolutely butchered the sleeve stripes for Nebraska and Wisconsin's numbers are awkwardly stretched over the corner of the shoulders. And that's before you even get to the distorted pants stripes.

I agree.

This is Wisconsin four years ago

ap-unlv-wisconsin-football(3).jpg

Then Adidas decided they had compete with Nike shot for shot in the dumb template arms race.

and this is what became of Wisconsin last year

3d9e3e649c9d49bc7ff69a2d8c070db0_crop_no

tire tracks, giant gaping armpit hole, basically no sleeve to speak of, that awful cheap looking stretchy material, beltless pants, and sleeve stripes that have inched into shoulder stripes. It's a damn disgrace. Adidas can't even do traditional uniforms right.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I agree.

This is Wisconsin four years ago

Then Adidas decided they had compete with Nike shot for shot in the dumb template arms race.

and this is what became of Wisconsin last year

tire tracks, giant gaping armpit hole, basically no sleeve to speak of, that awful cheap looking stretchy material, beltless pants, and sleeve stripes that have inched into shoulder stripes. It's a damn disgrace. Adidas can't even do traditional uniforms right.

Oh. I didn't realize Wisconsin patted Adidas on the head and told them they could stop trying to make sleeve numbers last year. They could have moved them to the shoulders, but then... Nebraska, you know... Anyway, here's the awful look I was thinking of.

img24073323.jpg

940x.jpg

Also, here's what Adidas did the Nebraska. They moved Nebraska's numbers to the shoulders a few years back, giving them more room for the sleeve stripes. Well, this is how they used it:

KjFyp.AuSt.79.jpgap-201111191145423268005.jpg

OldRomanSig2.jpg

As a Wolverines fan, it scares me to think what Nike might try to do with Michigan, having seen what they've done to other schools in recent years.

Nike has done an extremely great job with Oklahoma, Alabama, Ohio State, and Texas. If a college wants to stay traditional, then they stay traditional.

As a Wolverines fan, it scares me to think what Nike might try to do with Michigan, having seen what they've done to other schools in recent years.

Nike has done an extremely great job with Oklahoma, Alabama, Ohio State, and Texas. If a college wants to stay traditional, then they stay traditional.

This is my thinking as well. Adidas, as mentioned above, has ruined some classic looks, which is impressive because they're hard to mess up. Look at UCLA. That is a tough uniform to f*** up, but adidas has managed to do just that.

Nike's classic teams still look like themselves and not like they're all wearing jerseys and pants made out of t-shirts that are 3 sizes too small. And sure, Nike will dress these schools in a goofy alternate every once in a while, but so does Adidas and Adidas' one-off alternates are much much worse.

PvO6ZWJ.png

• 2 weeks later...

And don't forget Harbaugh is now at Michigan. There will be no more outlandish uniforms.

And don't forget Harbaugh is now at Michigan. There will be no more outlandish uniforms.

You do know Stanford had the BFBS uniform during his tenure, right.

As a Wolverines fan, it scares me to think what Nike might try to do with Michigan, having seen what they've done to other schools in recent years. Under Armour could look to make a splash by signing an elite school to their roster, and I like what they've done with Maryland, and they kept it classy with Notre Dame, proving that they know how to respect tradition along with innovation. Adidas has done well for Michigan IMO, other than a few goofy basketball uniforms (Zubaz!) but I don't expect them to re-sign.

As a Buckeye fan, I totally agree with you. I hope Nike (if they sign with them) doesn't do this to Michigan.I like Michigan's uniforms. They're tradition and if they do sign with Nike, I hope we don't get "The Game" with outlandish uniforms on both sides.

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

As a Wolverines fan, it scares me to think what Nike might try to do with Michigan, having seen what they've done to other schools in recent years. Under Armour could look to make a splash by signing an elite school to their roster, and I like what they've done with Maryland, and they kept it classy with Notre Dame, proving that they know how to respect tradition along with innovation. Adidas has done well for Michigan IMO, other than a few goofy basketball uniforms (Zubaz!) but I don't expect them to re-sign.

As a Buckeye fan, I totally agree with you. I hope Nike (if they sign with them) doesn't do this to Michigan.I like Michigan's uniforms. They're tradition and if they do sign with Nike, I hope we don't get "The Game" with outlandish uniforms on both sides.

I'm glad Urban went to the regular uniforms for The Game and left the specialty uniforms for Wisconsin and Penn State. I hope the two new uniforms replace the previous uniforms. Not because I don't like them, I actually do. I just don't want uniform overload from the Buckeyes or TTUN.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I'm glad Urban went to the regular uniforms for The Game and left the specialty uniforms for Wisconsin and Penn State. I hope the two new uniforms replace the previous uniforms. Not because I don't like them, I actually do. I just don't want uniform overload from the Buckeyes or TTUN.

I don't wanna derail the thread but I don't like when Ohio State wears a special uniform against Penn State. The normal uniform for Ohio State contrasts so well with Penn State's. It's nice to have a good traditional matchup.

I don't wanna derail the thread but I don't like when Ohio State wears a special uniform against Penn State. The normal uniform for Ohio State contrasts so well with Penn State's. It's nice to have a good traditional matchup.

I would prefer the traditional color-on-color games for the major rivalries, and for Ohio State, I would consider those to be Michigan and Penn State. The problem is, most of the major rivalries get the biggest exposure, thus promoting the special uniforms. If it were up to me, I am like you... I would have the special uniforms during big games, but not necessarily in the big Rivalry Games. Games against Michigan State and Wisconsin would be perfect for 1-off uniforms.

I think the fear that Nike would ruin Michigan is completely unfounded. Nike has done an absolute fantastic job with classic looks. Ohio State, Penn State, Alabama, Texas, Oklahoma, Florida, Georgia, LSU, and USC have all been great. Even more modern interprettations of Florida State and Oklahoma State have been great. I think Nike fully understands which schools can get away with stuff, and what schools can't.

To be honest, I think Michigan going to Nike would be the best thing for The Game.

Archived