New mothership logo coming Monday, March 30

nash61

10625071_10205159273278213_2274995028754

Excuse the crude paint job, but I'd have done this. It maintains the star/maple leaf look without the weird notches on each side.

Agreed. A little cleaner from Photoshop:

kAROh9l.png

OR, with the dividing line in the current location:

JBqm1Bz.png

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I the only one who thinks they thew the baby out with the bathwater? Sure the old logo had too many colours & outlines, but it was just a few tweaks away from looking great. As for this one? The symmetry issues of the leaf/star prevent it from being an upgrade as does the tired roundel

kAROh9l.png

This is a lot better, and nearly ideal. However, I think the scaling is a little bit off. I think the maple leaf portion of the logo needs to increase in size. The logo looks very bottom heavy and unbalanced. The left maple leaf doesn't seem to extend as far as the right star, and the top maple leaf doesn't seem to reach as far as the bottom legs of the star.

I would also venture to say that the red circles breaking the top and bottom of the roundel doesn't match the rest of the logo. I would suggestion 1 side being a star, the other side being a maple leaf, to further reinforce the images. However, I can't guardsmen that it would look good, or even better than the basic red circles.

That unneccessary spike on the lower left corner of the star will bug me forever. I don't see the point in the secondary logo when the partial one could do just as well.

An upgrade, but some of the concept that were made, including fraser's, were way better

I agree with the lower left corner of the star also the roundel needs to be thicker you lose it at small sizes that was the first thing this concept section taught me.

kAROh9l.png

This looks incomplete, unbalanced, and just weird. It looks like a sideways view of a star with a maple leaf shoved up it's ass. It's not an improvement on the new logo.

The new logo looks great, the roundel is awesome, and I'm definitely buying a hat.

BB52Big.jpg

Why do I keep getting an "April Fools" vibe from all this?

Is it just me being hyper-aware of tomorrow? The fact the logo has just about everybody's most hated elements in it?

I'm not thinking it's April Fool's if it was released on March 30. Pretty sure this is legit.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Why do I keep getting an "April Fools" vibe from all this?

Is it just me being hyper-aware of tomorrow? The fact the logo has just about everybody's most hated elements in it?

I'm not it's April Fool's if it was released on March 30. Pretty sure this is legit.

Yep. Chris moved up the date by two days just so there wouldn't be confusion.

kAROh9l.png

This looks incomplete, unbalanced, and just weird. It looks like a sideways view of a star with a maple leaf shoved up it's ass. It's not an improvement on the new logo.

The new logo looks great, the roundel is awesome, and I'm definitely buying a hat.

I agree except I'm getting that shirt instead of the hat.

These "improvements" to fix a problem that doesn't exist aren't doing it for me. The leaf part is now smaller than the star, whereas on the actual logo they're almost exactly equal in weight.

I like that extra notch on the bottom and top because it creates movement of the line separating the leaf and star. It's add an extra layer of dynamism that a basic line bisecting the two elements doesn't provide. It reads as a leaf and a star immediately. It doesn't have to be symmetrical.

And wow, some of you really hate roundels. Roundels work when done right and I think this one is done right. Also, as previously stated, it feels like a kind of tongue in cheek statement at the overuse of roundels in sportslogos and this being a sports logo website there needed to be some of that in this logo. They even say in the explanation "Because that's what all the cool kids are doing". They chose to write that for a reason. It's like a logo joke in itself. Also, a leaf and star alone don't convey the message that this is a sports logo website on their own at this point. Maybe in a couple years, but not right now in its infancy. We all know what it means because we're here at the beginning, but if you're a first time viewer you're not going to know what that leaf/star means without the roundel.

My only criticism is the circle around the secondary logo. The LeafStar works in that capacity.

Nice job, Torch. Nice job, Chris.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I agree except I'm getting that shirt instead of the hat.

These "improvements" to fix a problem that doesn't exist aren't doing it for me. The leaf part is now smaller than the star, whereas on the actual logo they're almost exactly equal in weight.

I like that extra notch on the bottom and top because it creates movement of the line separating the leaf and star. It's add an extra layer of dynamism that a basic line bisecting the two elements doesn't provide. It reads as a leaf and a star immediately. It doesn't have to be symmetrical.

Nice job, Torch. Nice job, Chris.

Well said. I agree with both of you.

I'm really liking the new look.

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

I look at that middle angled line as sort of like a moving line that distorts the parts of the leaf and star as it moves through them, which is why that extra notch on the star makes sense and it's why that part of the leaf seems to stretch higher than it is on its opposite side. The motion from that line is pulling the pieces it touches.

I like it the more I study it.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I look at that middle angled line as sort of like a moving line that distorts the parts of the leaf and star as it moves through them, which is why that extra notch on the star makes sense and it's why that part of the leaf seems to stretch higher than it is on its opposite side. The motion from that line is pulling the pieces it touches.

I like it the more I study it.

Again, well said. I actually had a similar thought. It almost looks like a portal, or wormhole. :lol:

The line gives it depth and dimension, in my eyes.

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

kAROh9l.png

I think the more diplomatic way to say it is it looks like a rocketship taking a dive, but yeah. I haven't seen anyone improve upon the new logo yet. I'm gonna be in for a hat.

kAROh9l.png

I think the more diplomatic way to say it is it looks like a rocketship taking a dive, but yeah. I haven't seen anyone improve upon the new logo yet. I'm gonna be in for a hat.
Haha, I see it

Archived