Announced today: A new professional women's hockey league NWHL (National Women's Hockey League)

Luke_Groundrunner

The start up of a new a new professional women's hockey league was announced today. The NWHL (National Women's Hockey League) will begin play next fall, and will be comprisede of 4 teams, New York Riveters, Connecticut Whale, Boston Pride, and the Buffalo Beauts.

Yahoo Sports article

The league logo

NWHL_zpsfwa80g9a.png

team logos

proxy_zps8k3e8wlp.jpg

Whose got some good female oriented team name ideas for this league?

Calgary Cougars or Cowgrils?

Vancouver Vixens?

Great idea for a league. Awful, awful designs.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Two NHL logo ripoffs out of the first four. Not encouraging.

I would go as far as to say all 4 do. New York and Connecticut are obvious, but the other two have similarities to their counterparts too. Boston's colors, arching script are Bruins-esque. And Buffalo's reminds me a bit of the front of this jersey:

u82fvzrt0e8snixcx6xqgp7nx.gif

At least they got permission on at least one logo rip off -

"Yes, you’re reading that correctly, the Connecticut Whale. Rylan secured the blessing of the Howard Baldwin Jr., head of the Baldwin Sports and Entertainment Group, to use the name and a similar logo to the Hartford Whalers of yore"

I wonder if this is enough to convince Noora Raty to leave the men's league in Finland she's playing in and come over and try this...

I would go as far as to say all 4 do. New York and Connecticut are obvious, but the other two have similarities to their counterparts too. Boston's colors, arching script are Bruins-esque. And Buffalo's reminds me a bit of the front of this jersey:

u82fvzrt0e8snixcx6xqgp7nx.gif

That idea predates the Sabres, so I don't think you can really "steal" it unless you directly copy their script.

bisons60.gif

I guess Buffalo has the best logo? So that's cool?

At least they got permission on at least one logo rip off -

"Yes, you’re reading that correctly, the Connecticut Whale. Rylan secured the blessing of the Howard Baldwin Jr., head of the Baldwin Sports and Entertainment Group, to use the name and a similar logo to the Hartford Whalers of yore"

I wonder if this is enough to convince Noora Raty to leave the men's league in Finland she's playing in and come over and try this...

Does he even own the rights to the Whalers? He wasn't allowed to call the Wolf Pack the Whalers, and that's why we ended up with the CT Whale.

Not to mention the NHL font in the league's logo.

But, FWIW some rumors indicate that the NHL is somewhat involved with the new league.

Really? I thought Chris tweeted that the NHL was going to start their own league called the WNHL.

girardi-1.png

lyip4wfi.pngzc9hmqq6.png

Thanks KaTo

There's some credibility to a rumor that Buffalo might switch to go with "Valkyries" for a nickname.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valkyrie

In Norse mythology, a valkyrie (from Old Norse valkyrja "chooser of the slain") is one of a host of female figures who choose those who may die in battle and those who may live. Selecting among half of those who die in battle (the other half go to the goddess Freyja's afterlife field Fólkvangr), the valkyries bring their chosen to the afterlife hall of the slain, Valhalla, ruled over by the god Odin.

Having studied the Poetic Edda in college a bit, this would be a really, really cool nickname.

There's some credibility to a rumor that Buffalo might switch to go with "Valkyries" for a nickname.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valkyrie

In Norse mythology, a valkyrie (from Old Norse valkyrja "chooser of the slain") is one of a host of female figures who choose those who may die in battle and those who may live. Selecting among half of those who die in battle (the other half go to the goddess Freyja's afterlife field Fólkvangr), the valkyries bring their chosen to the afterlife hall of the slain, Valhalla, ruled over by the god Odin.

Having studied the Poetic Edda in college a bit, this would be a really, really cool nickname.

Hope so because to me the "Buffalo Beauts" sounds like a name you hear from the Lingerie Football League.

• 4 months later...

Mercifully, the Connecticut Whale have dropped Baldwin's atrocious AHL logo, and are now using something that looks like the old Federal Baseball League's Chicago Whales:

Connecticut-Whale-logo.png

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived