Concept Logo for New Minnesota MLS Team

macalesterscots

The news that the MLS is adding Minnesota United FC to the league effective 2018 made me very excited. I am assuming that they will use the same name and logo package that they are currently using in the NASL, and I really like that logo, but for the purposes of this concept I am giving them a new name. So here is Minnesota Gemini FC!

LpkzJ43.png

Some things to note here:

-We've got the constellation Gemini appearing with a soccer ball within the state of Minnesota. I like the usage of the constellation in this instance because it ties into another sports team in the area.

-The star dotting the 'i' in 'Minnesota', appearing in the far northern part of the state, is meant to evoke Minnesota's status as the northernmost contiguous state in the US as well as its nickname of the North Star State. The constellation imagery is a continuation of this star theme.

As of right now, this is a pretty rough sketch of what I have in mind; this is also my first concept wherein I create a logo from scratch so I would love to hear some C&C on this logo. Thanks in advance!

I like the idea you're getting at. I'm not too much of an expert (or an expert at all) on sports logos but I think there's too much going on. I love seeing new concepts and making my own but I would definitely tone down the activity in the concept. I like what you have going there with the soccer ball made with stars. I think that could be used to portray what you're trying to get at, making it more simple. Sometimes simple is good. Pretty good idea though.

Too busy, it might work better without the lines connecting the stars. I get that you're trying to incorporate the actual constellation, which is a clever move. What if it were angled a bit, so the right arm went up into the Arrowhead portion of the state (the northeast), and then the wordmark was placed outside the map.

rATMcmK.png

Archived