Sign in to follow this  
PacificCoastRL

Memorial Cup format change?

I've never been a fan of the Memorial Cup format. That is - the champions from each of the three leagues plus a host team. My problem is that quite often the host team doesn't deserve to be there. Here is my proposal - play the Memorial Cup in one or two of the Canadian NHL rinks, maybe Edmonton/Calgary, Montreal/Toronto, moving it around each year. And instead of having the three champions and a host, have six teams - each of the league's two finalists. The leagues still play their championship finals, and they will still mean something. The winner of each final will get four points to start the Memorial Cup, while the losing teams get zero points. All six teams will play a single round-robin (five games) with the top two teams playing a one game final for the Memorial Cup. Thoughts?

While I do feel the Memorial Cup needs to change, your idea isn't good.

The six teams would make it worse and cheapen the league finals.

Playing in an NHL arena wouldn't work. Scheduling wise and attendance wise. The Swift Current Broncos playing the Blainville-Boisbriand Armada won't draw well in an 17,000 seat NHL area.

While I do feel the Memorial Cup needs to change, your idea isn't good.

The six teams would make it worse and cheapen the league finals.

Playing in an NHL arena wouldn't work. Scheduling wise and attendance wise. The Swift Current Broncos playing the Blainville-Boisbriand Armada won't draw well in an 17,000 seat NHL area.

I concur. The format is weird, from bringing in the host city that might have gone out in the first round but still has an even chance of winning the thing, to every team in the cup making the playoffs; but broadening it to 6 teams does cheapen the moniker of 'North America's best junior teams' and also cheapens winning the respective league if you're playing against the team you just beat in the league for the big trophy.

Also, having it pop up in places around Canada like Moncton, Rimouski, or Kelowna really seems to make it a national league, rather than playing in the shiny lights of the ACC or Rogers Arena. Having it in NHL arenas would also rule out the possibility of hosting it in the US for a while in great major-junior cities like Seattle and Portland, even Quebec or Halifax up north.

Unless the CHL decides to host the Memorial Cup at a neutral venue, I don't think the format will change for a while. Even that might pose attendance problems if you have a game between the Prince George Cougars and the Drummondville Voyageurs in Saskatoon.

The home team brings crowds, it might not make the most sense or benefit the actual champions, but it's likely here to say. What could be done, however, is to change the tournament format so that the host doesn't have it so easy in the finals. Possibly making the round robin a little longer and only having the top 2 teams go to a playoff; or having the four teams in the group, but only allowing the three champions to compete for the championship game, with the third place champion playing the host in a sort of 'bronze medal' game (if the host was a league champion, a runner up would take their place as the 'spoiler' team.)

As much as I don't mind the current format, I wouldn't be surprised if they changed it soon. I remember reading a few month about a possible march madness style tournament style. As fun as that would sound if you're a casual fan or someone who doesn't watch much CHL, it could end up being pretty bad for the die-hard fans.

Having it in NHL arenas would also rule out the possibility of hosting it in the US for a while in great major-junior cities like Seattle and Portland.

An American city hasn't hosted a Memorial Cup since Spokane did in 1998. I've been hearing that Sportsnet can't do CHL game in the US for some reason. I don't know why. Either way, it's too bad because every US Division city in the WHL looks like it would be a great venue for a Memorial Cup (except for Tri-City).

Having it in NHL arenas would also rule out the possibility of hosting it in the US for a while in great major-junior cities like Seattle and Portland.

An American city hasn't hosted a Memorial Cup since Spokane did in 1998. I've been hearing that Sportsnet can't do CHL game in the US for some reason. I don't know why. Either way, it's too bad because every US Division city in the WHL looks like it would be a great venue for a Memorial Cup (except for Tri-City).

Did you accidentally write part of your post in my quoted part or was it intentional? Because I didn't say anything about the American teams in my post.

Edit: I see it now. It's Torin's post that quoted mine that you pushed together in your post.

Sudbury hosted the Mem Cup in 1978, and the Wolves didn't play in it. I wouldn't want them to if they didn't earn their way there. Especially this season's edition (last place in the OHL).

Three teams is fine. London earned their way into the tournament by dominating the OHL in 2005. Host teams should do the same if they want in - otherwise, just kick back and enjoy the gate receipts and TV exposure for your city.

The real concern is that without a host team participating, attendance numbers will be sad.

So what do they do if the host team wins their league? Has it happened before? Does the 2nd place team in that league go to the Memorial Cup?

So what do they do if the host team wins their league? Has it happened before? Does the 2nd place team in that league go to the Memorial Cup?

Yup. Last time it happened was with Kitchener in 2008, I believe.

I think playing the Memorial Cup in NHL cities really goes away from the core of junior hockey... the small to mid-sized cities that are the basis of the entire CHL. These cities have been supporting their junior teams for years, and to basically have the opportunity to host the Memorial Cup taken away from them? That's my big problem with the idea.

I don't really think there's anything wrong with the format now. Hosting it is a big risk, both financially and to the future of your roster (the Saskatoon Blades are feeling that now) so the host team deserves to be in it. Obviously as do the champions of the three leagues.

I don't have much exposure to the CHL, so when I learned about their playoff system earlier this year I was absolutely baffled. It seems like a great tournament, but the host team thing ruins it. I'm shocked people have been so okay with that for so long.

The Memorial Cup is not akin to the Grey Cup, for instance. It's not a travelling destination for fans. Most of the paid attendance is due to the host team's participation.

It would never ever succeed in an NHL building, no one would care enough esp during the springtime.

The only thing that works right now in NHL buildings is the Brier, & that is akin to the Grey Cup as a traditional classic.

I don't really understand the hate for the host team.

Since 2000 the host team has finished last 3 times.

Yes, admittedly the last 2 years were 2 of those 3 times but the CHL does take into consideration the quality of the host team team.

So that's saying that out of 4 teams, the team that is supposed to be the worst has finished last only 1/5 of the time? With that number it seems like each team that had actually qualified would have had a better chance to finish last than the host team.

Edit: misread your post, but that's still a bad premise because you're taking a good team and telling them that they don't need to even win the league to play in the cup, instead of giving it to a worse teamwho wouldn't impact the actual league champions chance at the cup that much.

Doesn't the host country automatically get a team in the team sports part of the Olympics? Doesn't the host country automatically get an entry in the World Cup? I don't recall seeing much of a complaint about those.

I was living in Seattle when they hosted the memorial cup way back when and thought it was a great event to be able to go to, though I never made it...

I think we need some perspective. We're dealing with kids here. The idea that we need a flawless system to determine THE BEST TEAM OF TEENAGERS just seems silly to me. Is the host team think quirky? Yeah, but it's junior hockey so why is that a bad thing?

I think we need some perspective. We're dealing with kids here. The idea that we need a flawless system to determine THE BEST TEAM OF TEENAGERS just seems silly to me. Is the host team think quirky? Yeah, but it's junior hockey so why is that a bad thing?

Of course, but what fun is sports with perspective?

Doesn't the host country automatically get a team in the team sports part of the Olympics? Doesn't the host country automatically get an entry in the World Cup? I don't recall seeing much of a complaint about those.

I was living in Seattle when they hosted the memorial cup way back when and thought it was a great event to be able to go to, though I never made it...

There's a difference between a month long World Cup and a week long junior hockey tournament.

This is where I'm at as well. It would never be acceptable at the NHL level, but for a development league, it's fine. And if the host team wins, good for them they earned it after all.

Plus, how else would you arrange it when there's 3 major leagues? Have a round robin of the 3 champs? That doesn't sound as fun.