Cincinnati Bearcats officially join Under Armour

mbannon92

I just wish their basketball program would go back to Jordan

You said it. These were so cool.

031698huggins_500x377.jpg030898levett_342x500.jpg

For some reason I always thought the 7 blocks represented Cincinnati's 7 hills, but I guess there's 8 blocks so I guess they don't mean anything.

That look really hasn't aged well, IMO.

I think mainly because the style of the uniform is so different than what we're used to seeing these days. I bet if you stuck the basic style elements on a modern template, it would look good.

Why was Cincinnati with jordan? Its a good basketball school but I wouldn't say its worthy of a jordan sponsorship.

I mean, if Oakland University and Fresno State are Jordan basketball schools, I don't really see why Cincinnati wouldn't be "worthy"...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cincinnati was one of the first, if not the first, of schools to have the Jordan brand. I don't remember when UNC first started using the Jumpman logo. But it was a genius move by Huggins for their program.

TaxSlayer Bowl_sig.png

For some reason I always thought the 7 blocks represented Cincinnati's 7 hills, but I guess there's 8 blocks so I guess they don't mean anything.

I think mainly because the style of the uniform is so different than what we're used to seeing these days. I bet if you stuck the basic style elements on a modern template, it would look good.

Why was Cincinnati with jordan? Its a good basketball school but I wouldn't say its worthy of a jordan sponsorship.

I mean, if Oakland University and Fresno State are Jordan basketball schools, I don't really see why Cincinnati wouldn't be "worthy"...

If I remeber correctly, North Carolina A&T was the original Jordan Brand school. Definitely not what you would even remotely consider a "worthy" school.

I think Nike was looking to make the Jordan brand something akin to adidas' use of Reebok in the NHL. If it took off, it was another way to spread their influence with a well known branding. It's funny that the L23 brand is still only worn by Ohio State, and only on warmup gear. I don't remember seeing it as much this year though, other than with the shoe selection.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

If I remeber correctly, North Carolina A&T was the original Jordan Brand school. Definitely not what you would even remotely consider a "worthy" school.

What I meant was I think Cincinnati was highly sponsored by Jordan to this day I see Cincy jordan jerseys all over ebay. Oakland just happens to buy their jerseys from Jordan.

who's idea was it for that butt logo, it's so ugly.

who's idea was it for that butt logo, it's so ugly.

Yeah, it really sinks this set imo. The wordmark is too condensed and I don't like the I's being at different levels. Also, what's with the black bar only on the left shoulder? I wouldn't mind an update of this look, but there are a few wonky details that need to be fixed.
it's a memorial stripe

• 1 month later...

It's sad that we still have major programs with Adidas. Yes, money talks, but how any AD or school would want to stick his/her kids with Adidas' S*** is beyond me. Unfortunately Miami and Arizona State didn't get the memo... Can't wait to see what UA cooks up for UC.

What is it about Adidas uniforms that makes them so terrible? I am guessing you are referring to more than just the visual aspect of the unis.

The sizing with adidas is inconsistent. Also, i feel like adidas forces these programs to take these tire tread uniforms and the tequila sunshine uniforms. Nike will randomly introduce a uniform but they give it out to one or two teams instead of the whole lineup. This makes it look like they want all teams wearing the same thing instead of adjusting the looks for each team.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Marquette has been Nike for awhile now but they have switched "brands" a couple of times mainly due to DWade. They had a Converse logo when Nike bought them out and now they have Jordan when Wade went to Jumpman before he went with the Chinese company.

TaxSlayer Bowl_sig.png

For the week-in, week-out styles, I'm fine with Nebraska being with adidas. After all, it's hard to mess up such a classic, simple look. But that being said, I'm sure Nike or UA could pull off the classic stripe pattern just as well AND they might give us better alternates.

I can only speak for my team, but all the adidas alternates have been like a 6/10. They nail some elements (white matte helmets, black gloss helmets) and miss the boat elsewhere (duct tape numbers, Avoid the Noid pajamas).

Also, I'm not sure if it's the shade of vibrant red, but I barely notice the tire treads. Then I look at UCLA and vomit in my mouth from the same tire treads. I think it's honestly a color/illusion thing.

I'm all for switching to another outfitter simply because I can't imagine the alternates getting worse.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Byrant was with Jordan, I think Marquette is currently, Leigh too

California (men's team) has been with Jordan for 15 years or so.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Byrant was with Jordan, I think Marquette is currently, Leigh too

California (men's team) has been with Jordan for 15 years or so.

Correct. I have a gold #21 cal jersey from 2000-01 with the Jordan logo.

By my count, here is the list of (soon-to-be) power program affiliations:

ADIDAS (10)

ACC (3/15): Louisville, Miami, NC State

B12 (1/10): Kansas

B1G (2/14): Indiana, Nebraska

PAC12 (2/12): Arizona State, UCLA

SEC (2/14): Mississippi State, Texas A&M

UNDER ARMOUR (9)

ACC (2/15): Boston College, Notre Dame

B12 (1/10): Texas Tech

B1G (3/14): Maryland, Northwestern, Wisconsin?

PAC12 (1/12): Utah

SEC (2/14): Auburn, South Carolina

RUSSELL (1)

ACC (1/15): Georgia Tech

NIKE (45)

ACC (9/15): Clemson, Duke, Florida State, North Carolina, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest

B12 (8/10): Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, TCU, West Virginia

B1G (9/14): Illinois, Iowa, Michigan?, Michigan State, Minnesota, Penn State, Ohio State, Purdue, Rutgers

PAC12 (9/12): Arizona, California, Colorado, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, USC, Washington, Washington State

SEC (10/14): Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi, Missouri, Tennessee, Vanderbilt

Pretty easy to see who's still king of the mountain.

IOWA HAWKEYES // KANSAS CITY CHIEFS // MINNESOTA TWINS

By my count, here is the list of (soon-to-be) power program affiliations:

ADIDAS (10)

ACC (3/15): Louisville, Miami, NC State

B12 (1/10): Kansas

B1G (2/14): Indiana, Nebraska

PAC12 (2/12): Arizona State, UCLA

SEC (2/14): Mississippi State, Texas A&M

UNDER ARMOUR (9)

ACC (2/15): Boston College, Notre Dame

B12 (1/10): Texas Tech

B1G (3/14): Maryland, Northwestern, Wisconsin?

PAC12 (1/12): Utah

SEC (2/14): Auburn, South Carolina

RUSSELL (1)

ACC (1/15): Georgia Tech

NIKE (45)

ACC (9/15): Clemson, Duke, Florida State, North Carolina, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest

B12 (8/10): Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, TCU, West Virginia

B1G (9/14): Illinois, Iowa, Michigan?, Michigan State, Minnesota, Penn State, Ohio State, Purdue, Rutgers

PAC12 (9/12): Arizona, California, Colorado, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, USC, Washington, Washington State

SEC (10/14): Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi, Missouri, Tennessee, Vanderbilt

Pretty easy to see who's still king of the mountain.

Wisconsin and Michigan are adidas thru June 2016.

Some of the contracts that also expire after the coming 2015-16 school year that we should hear something about soon: Texas, South Carolina, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan State, Virginia and Auburn. Most of those will make an announcement by August to get under the one-year cycle.

adidas has money to spend and is going to get more schools. They're not going to pack it in like it seems some here would like. I don't see it as a foregone conclusion that they lose Michigan, either.

Archived