USBL--St. Paul Loons Posted (24/24)

dsaline97

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's another long-overdue update: the Nashville Blues. I decided to keep the serifs, because of the number of MLB (er, USBL) Block teams I already have. Perhaps not the #1 option, but it's a unique one, and I still think it works well.

GP0tkot.png

mInAyK8.png

VjPndBA.png

VkMf1O1.png

ta2lXvR.png

spacer.png

Guest darkpiranha

Bravo on the Archers. I've seen a lot of Archers concepts here over the years, but this is easily my favorite.

Wow, high praise! Thanks everyone!

The blues update looks great! I'm just wondering if for the scripts you make your own fonts, or do you download them from online?

It varies. As far as cursive, the Kings, Cyclones, and Blues were all hand drawn, and the Archers and Fire were fonts. California, Jacksonville, Chicago were custom, and the rest were based off of fonts.

spacer.png

the bridge between St. Louis and Milwaukee was burned to the ground.

I can't say I'm surprised, they bridge is 370 miles long. :P

Jokes aside, I love this series. I was not a fan of my hometown team, but I understand the reasoning. Chicago is gorgeous, in particular, I want to call attention to that. Nashville also deserves a shoutout.

bex2bn.jpg

v7xt0k.jpg

the bridge between St. Louis and Milwaukee was burned to the ground.

I can't say I'm surprised, they bridge is 370 miles long. :P

Jokes aside, I love this series. I was not a fan of my hometown team, but I understand the reasoning. Chicago is gorgeous, in particular, I want to call attention to that. Nashville also deserves a shoutout.

I'm sure that won't make rebuilding it any easier. :P

Thanks! SanFran (I assume is your team) was one I was shaky about when I first posted, but I think it's growing on me. There's talk that the road script will be changed for 2016, but that's not totally settled.

Anything else before I put up the next team? Hard to believe we're close to being finished.

spacer.png

Surprise! Boston is up after all.

1LE3sCX.png

The Boston Masons trace themselves to the end of the 19th century when a lodge of freemasons established an amatuer baseball league in the greater Boston area. In the fall, the winner of the league would call themselves The True Boston Freemasons, which is how the nickname of Masons came to be. In the 1910s and 1920s, the league created an All Star team that travelled around the region and challenging other amateur clubs. They never competed against the likes of the MWAC and OPBC, but their players had similar talent. In 1930, Christopher Husley offered them to join the United States Baseball League for its inaugural season along with the New York Knights. Dick Goldman was the owner and manager for the Masons, while his brother Maynard held the same positions in New York. The two siblings have never been fond of each other, and one of the better sports rivalries was instantly created. The two teams merged from 1942 to 1944 while WWII took place, putting their emotions on hold so the league would survive. The Masons have won three Branson Cups, the first of which didnt come until 1960. The second came after another 33 years in 1993, and the most recent was won in 2002. Don Williams was drafted by the Masons and debuted at the age of 19 and was the leader of that championship season, and named the MVP of the Championship Series. The next season, however, Williams was dealt for a boatload of prospects to the Flying Shearmen. While titles are sparse in Beantown, on-field success has been fairly consistent.

Currently, the Masons are on a roll. Theyre the best team in baseball at 68-41 and look to cruise their way to October. Williams returned to Boston before the 2015 season, and nearly all of the prospects have panned out beautifully--including ace Zack Russell, and relievers Sean Brown and Cordell Allen. Young stars Rodrigo Garcia and Ed Bradley are making a name for themselves at the plate, and Bradley is a favorite to win the National Division MVP. But pitching wins championships, and Boston has that--they rank first in Runs Against, Starter ERA and Bullpen ERA.

The Masons look was modernized in 2012, cleaning up a look that was relatively unchanged for decades. The green pinstripes were added at the beginning of the television era, so viewers would be able to distinguish them from their rival Knights. The interlocking primary stands for Boston Baseball Club, which returned in 2012. The lettering was also updated for more unique scripts than a basic block font. The green square in the cap logo was commonly used by USBL teams in its early years, but the Masons were the only club to retain it. Dick Goldman, in particular, liked it because he thought it could also resemble the square and compass of freemasonry, although some call it a stretch. The cream fauxback is worn on most Sundays and on certain weekday day games, and the green jersey is worn each Friday on the road, paying tribute to the large Irish population in Boston.

Harbor Street Yards is a block or so from the Boston Harbor, which creates a beautiful backdrop but also an awful parking situation. The stadium was built in 1963 and has gone through several renovations, leading many casual fans to perceive it as younger than it really is. The ballpark is known for its massive foul territory behind home plate, and it used to be even larger. Harbor Street Yards was fairly circular when it opened, as it hosted a professional American football team as well. The park yields a lot of longballs, as the wind often blows out toward right-center field, making the gaps play even smaller than they appear.

bU4bFZa.png

qqELcU8.png

GRQf5E6.png

Rb65p0c.png

Original:

Spoiler

4Bsc6pS.png
zvief3O.png
ch93DlC.png
sDKczJV.png

Just noticed I messed up the primary logo on the cover, I'll fix that when I'm back next week.

St. Louis Archers < Boston Masons > Florida Blue Herons

spacer.png

Well Boston is already a lousy city to try to park in, I can say that much.

Masons look great in my opinion. I'd buy one of those cream jerseys

Though I agree with Skinny, cap logo is a bit hard to read.

BOS2.png.28748cfa2d8957954518a9f81f4cd4e8.pngboston_captains_jersey_sig_by_verasthebrujah-dbp5b0z.jpg

Archived