New York Islanders alternate logo concept

DatsyukianDekes6

Here is another version I might like better. Thoughts on this would be appreciated!

NYI1_0b.png

I like the other one better. I'm not a fan of using that "Ny" design twice in one logo. The logo has great symmetry, but the asymmetrical styling of the "Ny" makes it difficult to incorporate if it is not placed on the line of symmetry (i.e. right in the middle). Having two of them, placed as counterparts on either side of the logo seems, to me anyway, to take away the great symmetry the logo already has going for it. In fact, if I were designing this logo, I would completely omit the "Ny" design (I was never a fan of it anyway), because it seems to undermine the simplicity that the rest of your design has going for it (meaning having a relatively complex logo inside another logo doesn't look good, especially when seen from afar), and instead use a different "filler" for the space that its removal will create. Besides, if you leave it out the "Ny" you'lI have a completely original logo. I have I some ideas for what might look great in space of the "Ny", but I don't want to steal your creative thunder. All that said, I'm no expert, this is just the way I see the design.

Here is another version I might like better. Thoughts on this would be appreciated!

NYI1_0b.png

I like the other one better. I'm not a fan of using that "Ny" design twice in one logo. The logo has great symmetry, but the asymmetrical styling of the "Ny" makes it difficult to incorporate if it is not placed on the line of symmetry (i.e. right in the middle). Having two of them, placed as counterparts on either side of the logo seems, to me anyway, to take away the great symmetry the logo already has going for it. In fact, if I were to designing this logo, I would completely omit the "Ny" design (I was never a fan of it anyway), because it seems to undermine the simplicity that the rest of your design has going for it (meaning having a relatively complex logo inside another logo doesn't look good, especially when seen from afar), and instead use a different "filler" for the space that its removal will create. Besides, if you leave it out the "Ny" you'lI have a completely original logo. I have I some ideas for what might look great in space of the "Ny", but I don't want to steal your creative thunder. All that said, I'm no expert, this is just the way I see the design.

Thank you for the advice! I'm new to logo designing, so I'd love to hear your suggestions on what to put in place of the "NY"!

1. idk how i feel about the stripes, but if they were taken away the logo would be plain

2. try adding some rope to the ancor

3. the logos on the side seem weird

4. the ancor itself needs a little cleaning up (im guessing you use a vecter)

Great logo. But the people of long Island will never accept a new logo. Remember 20 years ago when the highlander logo came out. They even made a protest group called take back the island coalition.. Or I think that's what it's called

The difference between this logo and that one is that this is just an alternate logo for the shoulders. This was never meant to replace the primary.

As for critique, You have a great idea here that would be perfect given a few tweaks. Those NY logos don't look very good at that size, and aren't very suitable for what you're using them for, assuming that's separating the words on top from the words on the bottom. Maybe just use dots instead? Also I'd go with a simpler font, preferably one without serifs. That could go a long way towards an alternate logo that compliments the primary better.

BEST logo I have seen in a very long time (Real or concept). !!!!!!!

As for the jersey, I would stay away from the "outlined yoke", especially in these colours, too much "Edmonton Oilers", I would privilege a Minnesota Wild type of yoke (White shirt).

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

I will be in the minority on this, but for some reason, the anchor does NOTHING for me as far as representing the NYI.

Isles have had a decently long history and through all that the presence of "The Island" was always a part of the logo.

The anchor just seems to take it in another direction.

Nothing wrong with the logo itself, but to me, it just doesn't scream Islanders, except for the fact that the logo TELLS me upfront that it is.

Besides all that, anchors have been used in other logos for many other teams (major and minor) and they usually involve things like the shipping industry or some naval element.

Navies and shipping don't really resonate, at least to me, with the "Islanders", who to me are denizens of NY who live on the outstretched portion of land...and they aren't necessarily sailors or work in shipping import / export.. :P

Even with the Isles moving to Brooklyn they are STILL the Islanders, not only in name, but because geographically, Brooklyn IS still part of that outstretched island that goes out into the Atlantic....only thing that separates Brooklyn from Long Island is a city limits border...but physically, its STILL the Island.

I know the OP originally wanted some sort of nautical theme, but to that, I say why?

The picture of the island itself should be nautical enough.

A re-design along the lines the OP has done is fine.

Again, NOTHING wrong with the logo...it is actually fine work.

It just doesn't say to me "New York Islanders" anymore than that silly Old Man of the Sea logo did that the team used some back.

Take the same work and replace the anchor logo back with the Island silhouette, and THEN you have something a bit different, still somewhat nautical (islands ARE on the ocean...hehe), and STILL says New York Islanders....and not NY Admirals, NY Sailors, NY Popeye Men, or anything else like that... :lol:

My 39 cents.

I will be in the minority on this, but for some reason, the anchor does NOTHING for me as far as representing the NYI.

Isles have had a decently long history and through all that the presence of "The Island" was always a part of the logo.

The anchor just seems to take it in another direction.

Nothing wrong with the logo itself, but to me, it just doesn't scream Islanders, except for the fact that the logo TELLS me upfront that it is.

Besides all that, anchors have been used in other logos for many other teams (major and minor) and they usually involve things like the shipping industry or some naval element.

Navies and shipping don't really resonate, at least to me, with the "Islanders", who to me are denizens of NY who live on the outstretched portion of land...and they aren't necessarily sailors or work in shipping import / export.. :P

Even with the Isles moving to Brooklyn they are STILL the Islanders, not only in name, but because geographically, Brooklyn IS still part of that outstretched island that goes out into the Atlantic....only thing that separates Brooklyn from Long Island is a city limits border...but physically, its STILL the Island.

I know the OP originally wanted some sort of nautical theme, but to that, I say why?

The picture of the island itself should be nautical enough.

A re-design along the lines the OP has done is fine.

Again, NOTHING wrong with the logo...it is actually fine work.

It just doesn't say to me "New York Islanders" anymore than that silly Old Man of the Sea logo did that the team used some back.

Take the same work and replace the anchor logo back with the Island silhouette, and THEN you have something a bit different, still somewhat nautical (islands ARE on the ocean...hehe), and STILL says New York Islanders....and not NY Admirals, NY Sailors, NY Popeye Men, or anything else like that... :lol:

My 39 cents.

Fair enough, I appreciate your opinion regardless of whether or not your in the minority. Thank you for your input!

With the help of Schwartz, who posted some advice and helped me a lot, on the first page of this thread, I believe this version of the logo is better. The "NY" is gone and the circles are aligned better. As far as the anchor/nautical theme goes, I as a non-Islanders fan, actually didn't hate the Gorton's logo. I think that the jerseys sucked but I actually thought the logo wasn't bad. That's why I'm keeping the anchor. Oh, and I'll experiment with a non-serif font later in the day.

And I totally didn't add the logo I was talking about. I thought I could add it on my phone. I'll be back in 5 with a change to the logo.

This really does demonstrate how much better the Isles looked in Navy and Orange.

If there's any detraction from this fantastic logo, is that the colors no longer match the team. It would be very difficult to use if the rest of the identity is with royal blue.

If you can make this pop with royal, you have a real winner that deserves to be on a jersey. I don't know if it's possible, though.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

This really does demonstrate how much better the Isles looked in Navy and Orange.

If there's any detraction from this fantastic logo, is that the colors no longer match the team. It would be very difficult to use if the rest of the identity is with royal blue.

If you can make this pop with royal, you have a real winner that deserves to be on a jersey. I don't know if it's possible, though.

Yea...I tried it with royal blue and it looked awful. I really wish that the isles had stayed in orange and navy.

Archived