Golf

2001mark

Didn't find a golf thread, so here ye be.

Jordan Spieth is the Mike Trout of golf. Honestly, that's who he reminds me of. Complete confidence in his game without being a showboat, doesn't really seem to share the same traditional approach to his sport as most of his peers, & is a freak athlete.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

In all seriousness if those two continue to develop into the players it looks like they're going to, it could be potentially HUGE for golf as a sport.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

In all seriousness if those two continue to develop into the players it looks like they're going to, it could be potentially HUGE for golf as a sport.

Agreed. With all due respect to Tiger, his Jordanesque approach while hugely popular to follow was never truly engaging enough with fans proper (as opposed to say Phil's). These guys Rory & Jordan aren't wired like a T-1000 self designed to terminate everything in their paths. Which is partly why Tiger's health caught up so soon - like Kobe out of high school going all out every year, a body will only take so much before it prematurely breaks down.

Alas, Tiger's goal for a perfect swing took away what was his winning swing.

If Rory or Jordan can win a major every year (not even both I mean) for the next few years on average, they should be a good story. Like Nadal & Federer.

@2001mark

Agreed. With all due respect to Tiger, his Jordanesque approach while hugely popular to follow was never truly engaging enough with fans proper (as opposed to say Phil's). These guys Rory & Jordan aren't wired like a T-1000 self designed to terminate everything in their paths. Which is partly why Tiger's health caught up so soon - like Kobe out of high school going all out every year, a body will only take so much before it prematurely breaks down.

Alas, Tiger's goal for a perfect swing took away what was his winning swing.

If Rory or Jordan can win a major every year (not even both I mean) for the next few years on average, they should be a good story. Like Nadal & Federer.

Rory and Jordan are close to being the same guy. Most moms and grandmas are not going to watch PGA Tour golf unless Tiger is in contention. He still drives the ratings bus. Speath and Keegan Bradley are Major winners under 30 and are as boring as Pete Sampras. No non-tennis fan really tuned in to see Pete Sampras

If there is to be a rivalry, there is a need for the one who is "different", especially in country club sports like Tiger (see Andre Agassi in tennis).

The closest to age and "different for golf" are three guys: Ricky Fowler (age 26), Hideki Matsuyama (age 23) & the guy who beat Speath in a playoff in 2013, 24 year old Patrick Reed.

Otherwise, Rory will just be a more successful Greg Norman.

• 2 months later...

Chambers Bay was originally built with fescue teeboxes and greens. The USGA came in and put down the two seeds most common on golf courses: bent grass and poa annua grass seed.

Bent and poa annua grow to the same color, but they don't grow the same color as fescues.

FOX's coverage feels too safe. Hopefully some weekend drama on the course helps. Greg Norman isn't as cranky as I expected, yet, however he sounds mighty old.

Oh well, I can't say I really miss Dan Hicks.

@2001mark

I guess the thought that Chalmers Bay was going to be tough is out the window, it looked like the golfers were having an eazy time Thursday by the scores. I was looking forward to everyone over par too.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Spieth's 2nd round 18th; 'The dumbest hole I've ever played.'

He's probably not wrong- not least he's pretty young lols. Said he'd need to go 3 iron & 3 wood just to get in because he can't drive long enough to negate the bunkers.

514yds, par 4 btw.

Hole 1 and Hole 18 change par during this tournament to keep course par at 70 as the USGA gave those holes also varying tee box locations.

They played from a separate tee box today than they did on Thursday.

Tiger's had a rough couple days....the golf club flying out of his hands, walking into a bunker that's taller than he is, and slipping around. Three things I've never done on a golf course!

He needs to go back to boffing women on the side.

Gary Player seems to not like Chambers Bay.

Saw that, I don't think they'll be back. Maybe a PGA Champ 10-15yrs from now if they play nice.

The PGA of America is deeply invested in another links style course: Whistling Straits in Kohler, WI.

Three PGA Championships there since 2004 and the 2020 Ryder Cup.

When in Seattle area, the PGA has its preferred course already, they choose Sahalle.

Gary Player seems to not like Chambers Bay.

Saw that, I don't think they'll be back. Maybe a PGA Champ 10-15yrs from now if they play nice.

The PGA of America is deeply invested in another links style course: Whistling Straits in Kohler, WI.

Three PGA Championships there since 2004 and the 2020 Ryder Cup.

When in Seattle area, the PGA has its preferred course already, they choose Sahalle.

This isn't a PGA problem, this was a USGA problem. The course was made difficult a little TOO much.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Archived