Rite of Spring '15: exhume our idols! bury our friends!

The_Admiral

Congratulations to the Hawks. I thought they were done at 2-1, but I guess that is what great teams do. I think this is as close to a dynasty in the modern salary cap era of any major 4 American sport we'll see for a while.

spacer.png

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's the Red Auerbach of hockey. Just keeps hanging around figuring out new ways to make other teams trade good players for ham sandwiches.

As for a parade/rally, I don't know how they're gonna do it if Grant Park is as flooded as I assume it must be after the storms yesterday. It's bright and sunny and temperate today, though :)

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I've honestly had one of the most stressful days of my life and only experienced this win through Twitter, texts, and YouTube hours after the fact. It's been a day. They won the damn thing and it feels amazing but today was kind of a perspective thing for me personally regarding sports and where it stands in my life, and just how quickly it can become meaningless.

I'm happy for them and for all fans of both the Hawks and Bolts, because it was a fantastic series. Can't wait until next year.

I understand where you're coming from. The losses seemed to hurt more this time around, as it was after the losses that I reflected on things and saw that sports was just a little break from stuff that really matters. I hope things work out for you.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I wonder if Crosby & Malkin will look back on these Blackhawks 20yrs from now & think 'that should've been us'.

burn

They're probably thinking it now. If you had told me in 2009 that they wouldn't win another cup in the next 6 years I would have laughed at you.

Back to the topic, I just cannot get over how good this looks.

jf59nKb.jpg

When did they change the stain on the Conn Smythe and why?

Looks like it happened when they expanded the base in 2011

CST2010.jpgCST2011.jpg

Interesting and weird. Also, that maple leaf is dangerous. You could slice an eyeball with that thing.

That's not the first change I would've made. I would've put something across the bottom so you can't see into the hollow trophy. I've always thought that looked tacky when the players hold it up.

PvO6ZWJ.png

When did they change the stain on the Conn Smythe and why?

Looks like it happened when they expanded the base in 2011

CST2010.jpgCST2011.jpg

Interesting and weird. Also, that maple leaf is dangerous. You could slice an eyeball with that thing.

That's not the first change I would've made. I would've put something across the bottom so you can't see into the hollow trophy. I've always thought that looked tacky when the players hold it up.

But then you can't wear it

2567816668_d14ea2d2e1.jpgDetroit+Red+Wings+Stanley+Cup+Victory+Pa

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

That and it probably makes the trophy a good bit lighter. Not like the players would have any trouble lifting it even if it was solid but it's probably a bit easier to transport since it's hollow.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I've not saying fill the whole thing in with lead. I'm saying a stained piece of wood to match the rest of the base that covers the hole would look better. It wouldn't be that much heavier.

The Stanley Cup used to have a hole in the bottom of it. Looks better covered up right?

broadstreetbullies.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

After giving it some more thought, I'd consider the 2010s Hawks a dynasty.

While 3 Cups in 6 years may not be on the same level as 4 in a row ('70s Habs, '80s Islanders) or 5 in 7 ('40s/'50s Leafs, '80s Oilers), the fact that they did it in the era of salary cap parity seals it for me. There's no chance in hell that New York or Edmonton would have been able to hold on to Potvin/Bossy/Trottier or Gretzky/Messier/Kurri/Anderson/Coffey if there was a cap back then.

One thing I do dispute, however, is the notion that it was somehow "easy" to win back when there were 6-10 teams, so apparently those dynasties are worth less. With such a deep talent pool, literally every team was stacked with Hall of Famers. Yes, there are 30 teams in the league now, but there are not 30 teams competing for the Cup. The Leafs are not winning the Cup next year. The Coyotes are not winning the Cup next year. The Sabres are not winning the Cup next year. When you have as many teams as there are now, you end up with a very thin talent pool and a lot of teams icing rosters full of third-liners. Each year, there are what, maybe ten teams with a legitimate chance of winning anyways?

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Should I have said "better"? Hockey is being played at a higher athletic level now than it was then. Or are guys still smoking on the bench during games?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived