Rite of Spring '15: exhume our idols! bury our friends!

The_Admiral

Also, this'll make for a polar opposite championship uni matchup.

Chicago has their famous and identifiable uniforms, while Tampa..... I still miss their 2011 uni design.

Eh, the Blackhawks uniform has been great for the longest time. I'm sick of them. Tampa's new unis are fresher. And therefore, more desirable.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many other teams have won a best of 7 series after trailing in the series 3 times?

Well, the Kings trailed 3-0, 3-1, and 3-2 last year.

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

How many other teams have won a best of 7 series after trailing in the series 3 times?

Carolina defeated New Jersey in 2009 after trailing 1-0, 2-1, and 3-2.
Is it really such a big deal? It just means the teams traded wins through six.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Coming back from 3-X in a series feels less valuable to me as hockey is concerned. It's such a game to game sport that momentum only matters during the regular season -- unless you're talking about a goalie. But I'm a greenhorn as concerns hockey analysis, so.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I've always been a believer in that momentum starts as soon one game ends and stops as soon as the next game starts in most cases.

There are to many variables in sports, especially hockey. The Hawks had the momentum going into game 7, but what if Toews breaks his leg off the opening draw or the Ducks score 5 goals on their first 5 shots?

IbjBaeE.png

I've come around on how I feel about dynasties versus parity.

1. First of all, the two can exist at once and I think the NHL has a really great balance right now. The Blackhawks are the closest thing to a dynasty as you can get in today's NHL, but it hasn't been easy on them and other teams have been able to steal the cup from them during this era. So we have really good teams to strive to beat, but beating them also doesn't feel impossible, which is where it gets boring after a while (see: Jordan's Bulls. Nobody was ever going to beat that team in a best of 7)

2. dynasties make for a more compelling history. As evidenced above nobody gives a :censored: about the 06 Hurricanes. The teams that get remembered are the teams who were great over longer periods of time. (Example: the Oilers were swept in 83 by the Islanders, in 84 both came back to the finals and the Oilers won and the torch was passed. That's a better story than Edmonton beating, let's say the Capitals for the championship.)

3. The Blackhawks are the least assholish and most likable dominant team I can remember in sports. They don't cheat like the Patriots, they didn't win by scheming the system or loading up on free agents pre-cap like the late 90s/early 00's Red Wings, they don't have the highest payroll like the Yankees, they're not ruining the NHL with a the trap like the Devils, and they're not a bunch of divas like the Heat and Lakers were.

I guess it's irksome how there's so many Blackhawks fans all of a sudden, but that's good for the sport, I suppose.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Carolina defeated New Jersey in 2009 after trailing 1-0, 2-1, and 3-2.
Is it really such a big deal? It just means the teams traded wins through six.

Well, it says something about not letting one loss turn into a two-game (or longer) losing streak.

Other than being resilient the next game, doesn't mean anything.

I've come around on how I feel about dynasties versus parity.

1. First of all, the two can exist at once and I think the NHL has a really great balance right now. The Blackhawks are the closest thing to a dynasty as you can get in today's NHL, but it hasn't been easy on them and other teams have been able to steal the cup from them during this era. So we have really good teams to strive to beat, but beating them also doesn't feel impossible,

2. dynasties make for a more compelling history. As evidenced above nobody gives a :censored: about the 06 Hurricanes. The teams that get remembered are the teams who were great over longer periods of time. (Example: the Oilers were swept in 83 by the Islanders, in 84 both came back to the finals and the Oilers won and the torch was passed. That's a better story than Edmonton beating, let's say the Capitals for the championship.)

I guess it's irksome how there's so many Blackhawks fans all of a sudden, but that's good for the sport, I suppose.

1. Well said. Sports is at it's best when there is a team or two that is a cut above the rest. It gives opposing fans something to gun for and makes it more fun when someone knocks them off.

2. If memory serves, in '83 Gretzky only scored one goal in the entire series. (Then again, when you're playing with guys like Messier, Kurri, Coffey, et al, it's not like Gretzky needed to carry the team.) In '84, I'm not sure, but I want to say it was in game 4, Gretzky got loose on a breakaway and scored the first goal of the game on Billy Smith. Point being, that was the moment when it felt like the Oilers were "the new sheriff in town." Damn, I'm old.

Those 80's Islanders and Oilers teams were a sight to see.

BB52Big.jpg

I knew the Ducks were gonna blow the series before last night's game started. The Hawks are back, but please let the team in blue win this year! Go Lightning!!

Somehow, I thought this Ducks team was different this year. But, if these last three seasons have proved anything to me it is that you have to start great and finish better in those crucial games. The Ducks have a great team with a lot of young talent. They're going to get to the Cup someday. But, right now is not the time. They have to control their emotions and learn that you can't take anything for granted. Until that happens we're not going to hoist Lord Stanley.

As for Chicago, I don't hate on the Hawks. They were the better team in the games that mattered most in that series. Ducks took stupid penalties, Andersen showed his inexperience by letting in the soft goals, and they eventually lost the face-off battle which they were doing a great job at in the first 5 games of the series. Good luck to the Blackhawks, but I'm rooting for the Lightning. Tampa has the kind of underdog mentality I like in a hockey team.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

Big picture is that Anaheim has actually progressed farther in the playoffs under Boudreau.

Yeah I kinda expected to be eliminated quickly, which is why Game 7 was probably so heartbreaking. We just came so unexpectedly far.

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

Not really. The Ducks had the easiest road to the finals out of anyone and most hockey folk had them in at least the conference finals. That wasn't unexpected at all

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived